Im sorry DCI, you need to fix the scoring again

Maybe Im wrong. Maybe BD just operates on a different paradigm when it comes to design that is more conducive to the judging sheets. I think the difficulty in BDs show comes from the sheer amount of layering and prop interaction rather than drill, which every other corps uses to create visual difficulty. Im just not a fan of it, and I will continue to ##### on DCP about it

I think it's pretty clear by now that the Blue Devils don't write "drill". They write visual movement (of many types) that integrate seamlessly into the overall program, much like a professional production would do.

• Like 2

I think it's pretty clear by now that the Blue Devils don't write "drill". They write visual movement (of many types) that integrate seamlessly into the overall program, much like a professional production would do.

Professional production of...what, exactly?

(Not agreeing or disagreeing with your point, just curious about your wording!)

• Like 2

Professional production of...what, exactly?

(Not agreeing or disagreeing with your point, just curious about your wording!)

Stage plays, musicals, production shows (think Vegas, cruise ships, or Disney),

The former Disney performer in me is driven absolutely batty by Cadets' voice actor leaving the stage, or turning his back to the audience. I learned so much about show construction while working there...

The former Disney performer in me is driven absolutely batty by Cadets' voice actor leaving the stage, or turning his back to the audience. I learned so much about show construction while working there...

Disney? Orlando? If so, you must know Ralph Venezia. Excuse me.....not "must"...just probably.

Edited by HornTeacher

A friend and I were discussing this today and she had an interesting point. In talking about how each corps member has a different recurring character throughout the show, she felt it was all constructed like a Broadway play, where you have a cast of individual, defined characters who come together periodically for big production numbers.

• Like 1

Thank you for reminding me of why I dislike Disney so much. Their parks are like controlled chaos yet in an open, still free-for-all environment. Trained cattle always herding towards the biggest risk/reward for the day.

You do realize that entire drum corps turn their backs on the audience, right?

There are going to be some livid corps directors at the next DCI meeting. And I'm talking about Academy/Oregon/Spirit. Expect sheet changes.

Why are open class corps allowed to compete with world class? This doesn't make any sense to me. Then again there is a lot about DCI & this activity that doesn't make any sense to me.

Edited by FlamMan
  • Like 1