Would you still be interested in DCI if it wasn't competitive?

The majority of posts on this forum center around the competitive 'horse race' aspect of DCI. After all "We are Americans", and it is instilled in us from a very early age to look at everything from a competitive angle.

How many of us would even remain interested if DCI became non-competitive as some have suggested.

I have to honestly say I wouldn't be nearly as interested.

• Like 1

lack of scores would lessen my interest

• Like 2

I would not be all that interested.

• Like 1

Nope. Not at all. But I am of the blue team, so my opinion reinforces the stereotype thrown around the forum.

No prob.

:cool:

Edited by c mor

My bf told me last night that he hates the competitive part of drum corps. But he hates drum corps in general :) I see his point, following scores can twist me around like a pretzel, putting me in a good or bad mood for a day or a whole season. But, it really is a sport -- who would follow the NBA or college football if they were all just exhibitions? Just for the love of the sport? Please...

From a fan's point of view, the competitive stuff is fun but ultimately pointless. It's ultimately just the opinion of 11 people, no matter how detailed the criteria and well-informed and experienced the 11 are. I like the shows that I like, regardless of where the green shirts decide they belong. This year is great because there a bunch of truly excellent drum corps on the field, regardless of whether BD sets a new scoring record or which teams wind up with medals.

But going one level down, I think the competition motivates the excellent performance we enjoy. The staff and members are always trying to outdo other groups and past years, because they don't want to fall down the rankings. Sometimes this can be bad - everyone seems to believe that the judges are rewarding prop use and thus everyone is competing to dump multiple trucks worth of crap on the field - but mostly it just pushes corps to create more engaging shows at a higher performance level.

• Like 3