Would you still be interested in DCI if it wasn't competitive?

The objective of the activity is to make young people into stellar adults by giving them the opportunity to pursue world-class excellence. Competition is the method that measures the achievement of excellence. The DCI method of competiton (i.e, scoring) is flawed, but without some system in place, the activity loses its ability to deliver what the members pay for.

Taking away the scoring wouldn't bother me much.

The problem is that corps use judging and judge tapes to improve their show. The feedback from experts is critical.

Having said that, if they took away scoring, I would like to see some kind of "rating" system take its place. Score the different criteria 1-5, with 5 being the best. I would also add a "crowd reaction / entertainment" caption, 1-5, judging how an audience reacts. I'd put that on a bell curve and measure it in decibals.

Conceivably, more than one corps could end up with the same ratings. Would still give us something to cheer for, would still keep a somewhat competitive environment, and would force corps to have shows the audience might like.

I was watching both nights of DCI East and spectators were leaving in a continuous line BEFORE scores were announced. So either:

1. Scores DON'T matter to spectators, or

2. Scores are too predictable and never change relative to each other, or

3. Scores don't count until August 9th

Personally, I would pay full admission price to watch Oregon, Spartans, The Academy, Phantom, SCV, and Blue Devils without judges.....

Joe Dz in NJ

Scores don't "matter" to a lot of fans, but they are what drives the corps to make their shows better and better throughout the year to get the highest score they can on finals night. If there wasn't a competition, it would be infinitely more educational for the kids to continually learn new music, new shows, new styles week after week rather than practice the (relatively) same music and show for months.

The majority of posts on this forum center around the competitive 'horse race' aspect of DCI. After all "We are Americans", and it is instilled in us from a very early age to look at everything from a competitive angle.

How many of us would even remain interested if DCI became non-competitive as some have suggested.

I have to honestly say I wouldn't be nearly as interested.

Remove the competitive aspect and the interest will wane IMO...

I would not be. I believe it is the competitive nature of DCI that instills the character in the drum corps members. However I think there is room for improvement on the entertainment factor. But that is another discussion.

Nope, wouldn't be interested. Competitiveness drives you to push further. Innovation comes from competition. Excellence comes from competition. If DCI isn't competitive then I am not following it.

• Like 1

I was watching both nights of DCI East and spectators were leaving in a continuous line BEFORE scores were announced. So either:

1. Scores DON'T matter to spectators, or

2. Scores are too predictable and never change relative to each other, or

3. Scores don't count until August 9th

Personally, I would pay full admission price to watch Oregon, Spartans, The Academy, Phantom, SCV, and Blue Devils without judges.....

Joe Dz in NJ

4. No one wants to sit and wait a half hour for the scores read in front of no one (not even drum majors) when they can get them on their phone on the way home.

Competition and adjudication don't mean that much to me, but I'm sure a lack thereof would generally affect the approach to design and the level of excellence. So, for me, a lack of competition might have an indirect effect on my interest.

One plus of having no competition would be that there would be fewer rivalries and perceived negativity amongst fans. I personally believe that competition, rivalry, etc. (and the perceived "negativity" that comes with it) are good for the activity.

I also believe that most of us would be disappointed if we were to adopt a non-competitive, truly education-based model of DCI.

• Like 1