Staff merrigoround

Kamarag,

Ok...I could get sarcastic like you. But, you and I BOTH know that there is a level of truth to what I'm saying. I'm sure most of the staffs of the top 12 and especially the top five are starving to death. See, I can bring the sarcasm as well. The more money the want. The more should be expected from them.

Kamarag,

Ok...I could get sarcastic like you. But, you and I BOTH know that there is a level of truth to what I'm saying. I'm sure most of the staffs of the top 12 and especially the top five are starving to death. See, I can bring the sarcasm as well. The more money the want. The more should be expected from them.

I used sarcasm as opposed to telling you how utterly ridiculous your post was. No one, and I mean no one...is getting rich doing drum corps. Designers are worth whatever someone else is willing to pay them. Period. And since the overwhelming majority of them are teachers, they deserve every penny they can get.

jbeatty89,

I am not trying to be difficult or a bum, but what it takes nowadays is money.

So if the Crossmen had more money they would have a better drumline? I'm not sure I buy into your premise. Yes people want to get paid, and gas costs money. That doesn't change anything about how hard kids work and how hard staffs work. Nobody is getting rich doing this activity. Back to my original gripe, the 2014 Crossmen were about as consistent across the board as they come. I marched during the years of the corps where the guard and the drumline were consistently a step or two above the hornline. I really didn't see that this year. Btw we were pretty broke the years I marched. Also in 1992 where they drumline placed 2nd in field percussion they were driving around in old Philadelphia city buses. You can state the case that things are totally different now, but in my opinion the differences aren't that great. Most drumcorps don't have giant piles of money and most instructors aren't paid that much . Very little has changed other than the price of food, gas and tour fees.

So if the Crossmen had more money they would have a better drumline? I'm not sure I buy into your premise. Yes people want to get paid, and gas costs money. That doesn't change anything about how hard kids work and how hard staffs work. Nobody is getting rich doing this activity. Back to my original gripe, the 2014 Crossmen were about as consistent across the board as they come. I marched during the years of the corps where the guard and the drumline were consistently a step or two above the hornline. I really didn't see that this year. Btw we were pretty broke the years I marched. Also in 1992 where they drumline placed 2nd in field percussion they were driving around in old Philadelphia city buses. You can state the case that things are totally different now, but in my opinion the differences aren't that great. Most drumcorps don't have giant piles of money and most instructors aren't paid that much . Very little has changed other than the price of food, gas and tour fees.

Phantom Regiment sure doesn't have a ton of money, and they seem to do a LOT with less than other corps. I don't think that what it takes is money; it's more the design, then the cleaning of that design that matters most.

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 2

What would your panacea be for the Crossmen then? I can tell you their entire administration is waiting on pins and needles for your response.

I don't expect anyone running any corps to wait on pins and needles for what I have to say about how I think they should run their corps. It doesn't mean I don't have the right to express whatever opinions I have about it. Someone said their brass line has been a weak link for a long time. I mentioned that their percussion section has been, too. And it didn't used to be that way. They used to be one of my favorite drumlines. So memorable and dynamic. They were one of my favorite things about that corps for so many years. And I haven't felt that kind of energy from them in about fifteen years.That's all.

Solutions? I wish I had the answer, believe me. I so want to love that corps again and it bothers me that I just haven't felt enthusiastic or compelled by anything they've produced in the past several years.

yet the weakest link remains

Probably not for long with KC Michel as Program Coordinator. I assume you meant in the visual aspect.

KC Michel has done wonders for visual programs and he has that modern artistic touch that can only strengthen Madison!

Edited by Nine White Russians

Probably not for long with KC Michel as Program Coordinator. I assume you meant in the visual aspect.

KC Michel has done wonders for visual programs and he has that modern artistic touch that can only strengthen Madison!

Crazy idea: KC convinces Jamey Thompson to come to Madison.

Oh, you mean how not a single one of the " 28 new faces this year " worked the Finals nite show ? You know, the one that counts. Oliviero and Nicholaris worked several years Finals nite shows when still in their 20's, 30's. How many 20,30, year olders worked Finals Nite this year ?

" none" you say ?

opps.

When do rookies ever get big shows right away? Give it time man. The fact is for the first time in eons DCI actually was serious about getting new blood in. They'll get their day, and honestly it wouldn't have changed results a bit

You have to admit that the Crossmen drill was the best it's been in years. If they keep the visual team intact, they'll be well on their way up the ladder to success. Percussion book was very, very good as well in 2014 (written by Markworth btw). Looking forward to 2015.