Staff merrigoround

Phantom Regiment Tweeted the following link.

http://www.regiment.org/story.cfm?ID=1417

Rob Ferguson - new Front Ensemble Arranger

If all remains quite, we can return to helping BRASSO derail this thread via his classic fireside chats.

Thats splitting hairs, imo. My use of the word " take " does not negate the fact that BD is well served each season( to their crediit ) by the annual talent pilgrimmage of some of the top talent from other Corps to Concord in an attempt to earn a spot. Yes, I do understand the process of auditions, MikeD. The word " take " from other Corps is not by itself a perjorative word, and my use of it should not be automatically construed as such. I suppose the word " receives " from other Corps might have worked too. But the fact that BD " gets " a significant pool of talent each and every season from their competition is the big picture here, and perhaps is what is being missed. This is a hellava good competition feeder system for BD, and I said as much above.

"Gets" and "takes" are very different words, with very different meanings. "Takes" at least implies underhanded meddling in another corps business, while "gets" does not. If a 2014 member of, say, the Mandarins shows up at 2015 BD auditions and makes the corps, BD did not reach in and take that member away from the Mandarins. They did get the Mandarin member, but it was the member's choice to audition where he/she wanted to march.

• Like 1

That goes all the way back to Jerry Seawright, who set the tone with this one belief -- hire the best people for the job and then let them DO their job.

Not lost on some of us, is that Seawright's hires that brought BD to the top were all young. Most in their 20's, 30's. at the time

The Cadets in the late 70's struggled to make Finals most years.. some years they failed to make Finals. Then they brought in a young George Zingalli to write their Visual. He was still in his 30's. He did wonders for them. They shot up to the top echelon as a result and have been there ever since.

Not lost on some of us, is that Seawright's hires that brought BD to the top were all young. Most in their 20's, 30's. at the time

The Cadets in the late 70's struggled to make Finals most years.. some years they failed to make Finals. Then they brought in a young George Zingalli to write their Visual. He was still in his 30's. He did wonders for them. They shot up to the top echelon as a result and have been there ever since.

Many of the Cadet staff were also in their 20's and 30's when they were on the edge of making/not making finals. Why this constant Johnny-one-note about age as the be-all and end-all of success?

• Like 2

"Gets" and "takes" are very different words, with very different meanings. "Takes" at least implies underhanded meddling in another corps business, while "gets" does not. If a 2014 member of, say, the Mandarins shows up at 2015 BD auditions and makes the corps, BD did not reach in and take that member away from the Mandarins. They did get the Mandarin member, but it was the member's choice to audition where he/she wanted to march.

Nonsense.

If you routinely" take " a few nails or whatever from out of your neighbors garage toolbox, we don't automatically assume that you were " meddling in your neighbors toolbox ". Particularly if we all know the circumstances where your neighbor knows you take the nails or whatever in the toolbox on occasion, have for years, and wiillingly allows you to do so. As it applies to DCI, it is silly to think that I don't know that BD " takes " its talent each and every year in a willing fashion from its competiition ( neighbor ). Its so lame to miscontrue that I have ever said on this thread that BD " steals " talent, or " meddles in another Corps business illegally, or without the other Corps knowledge or whatever, etc. Its just plain ridiculous now.

Edited by BRASSO

Phantom Regiment does a pretty terrible job of staff announcements:

Jeremy Hunt, visual designer

Jude Boughton, visual coordinator

Rob Ferguson, front ensemble arranger

John Leonard, previously mentioned as guard caption head

The visual coordinator, visual designer, and front ensemble arranger were three spots that I DIDN'T want to be touched in the offseason...

Saw this coming.

Such high quality replacements. -_-

I keep beating a dead horse, but this is indicative of a larger problem.

Many of the Cadet staff were also in their 20's and 30's when they were on the edge of making/not making finals. Why this constant Johnny-one-note about age as the be-all and end-all of success?

Why the inaccurate nonsense from you that I have ever stated that Corps success has a one reason ( "age" ) reason for the success ?. I never said this either. Success of Corps is a many and multifacted thing. I pointed out a couple of reasons, clearly visible for all above, beyond " age " on this very thread too.

Edited by BRASSO

Mike:

Often some left behind do harbor a resentment to those who have been able to stay current, active,and relevant in the activity, BUT it happens in many walks of life. NOT ALL but many of the staff today who were those from BITD also have longevity for a reason , a very good reason. Can anyone really think George Z. wouldn't be as relevant today as he was bitd if HE CHOSE. Silly, I personally think he would be even better today.

No one really addresses that although there are some really new talent coming through the activity , today's instructor is a very different person from the staff member of BITD. Staff learn very different and the activity has become very much a specialized unit of people. BITD you were lucky you had an assistant to help so you had to learn all aspects. Very different.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 2