Show ideas for next year's corps?

http://youtu.be/BuFyY50ITNA

O Magnum Mysterium - Morten Lauridsen, arr. H. Robert Reynolds (Arranged For Band)

someone really should, Regiment, Crown, Cadets?

I don't know that Lauridsen would let that one be done by a corps. If I remember right, he has a very close personal connection with it (something about his son fighting cancer, I think).

In 2005, SoCal Dream used it as a warmup chorale, but I think we only got away with it because John Wales, one of our staffers, was friends with Lauridsen.

That being said...yeah. I'd love to hear someone like Regiment do it...a wonderful piece to play. He might allow it in a concert setting, like in your vid, but not on field.

Edited by 84BDsop

I don't know that Lauridsen would let that one be done by a corps. If I remember right, he has a very close personal connection with it (something about his son fighting cancer, I think).

In 2005, SoCal Dream used it as a warmup chorale, but I think we only got away with it because John Wales, one of our staffers, was friends with Lauridsen.

That being said...yeah. I'd love to hear someone like Regiment do it...a wonderful piece to play. He might allow it in a concert setting, like in your vid, but not on field.

Boston based the ballad of their 2004 show on "O Magnum Mysterium", so maybe he does allow it. But then again, that was ten years ago, and times have changed since then.

Not sure if this is a suggestion or prediction, but George Hopkins recently went to Scotland and posted videos of Highland dances and music on his Facebook page. Will Cadets have a Scottish flair next year, and if not Cadets, how about someone joining Pioneer in offering Celtic music? My Irish heart always enjoys Pioneer but Celtic music is rich, varied, and beautiful and I'd love to see other corps tackle it too.

H. Robert Reynolds was my band director at Long Beach State back in the late '60s (before directing at Wisconsin and U of Michigan); and I gotta hunch that he, at least, would appreciate a harmonically nuanced and beautiful performance of O Magnum Mysterium in any medium, including drum corps.

Not sure if this is a suggestion or prediction, but George Hopkins recently went to Scotland and posted videos of Highland dances and music on his Facebook page. Will Cadets have a Scottish flair next year, and if not Cadets, how about someone joining Pioneer in offering Celtic music? My Irish heart always enjoys Pioneer but Celtic music is rich, varied, and beautiful and I'd love to see other corps tackle it too.

"It's bloody Brigadoon!"

• Like 1

I bet the ol' Velvet Knights could pull off a 'Legally Blonde' show...

• Like 1

Just to clarify- O Magnum Mysterium is on the No Arrange List. We played this beautiful piece of music with my kids this past school year and they dedicated it to my father who had died in the spring. Would be a great field ballad in any medium but can't be done. Maybe one of these days....

Speaking of "O Magnum Mysterium", I happened to find another setting of this hymn by Kevin Memley that I think would translate well to the field. Here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tniYXXiZzpg

I know this piece is on the "Never ever allowed to be arranged EVER" list, but I would kill for someone to do a faithful, as complete as possible drum corps version of David Maslanka's Symphony No. 4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2xcMoQ6ML4

Just listen to the eerie woodwind parts around 22:00, and then the explosion of brass from 25:50 - 27:00. Tell me that wouldn't get people off their feet. I could see Crown's brass doing a masterful job with this - it would be an instant drum corps classic.