George Hopkins response to the critics

Nicely said GH. He loves his kids and his corps...and BTW, I believe we all know how many titles they have.......lots! The Cadets are always in the running for the title because of the quality of their staff and imbedded discipline and work ethic GH teaches them.

The announcements will ALWAYS go that way, it's the nature and even the excitement of retreat. Very few activities have anything like the announced scores of DC...a few judged Olympic events and frickin' American Idol, but very few. It's part of the deal... so, it is here to stay.

Finally, no one knows what the crowd pulling for the underdog feels like more than BD...most times they are on the receiving end of the cheers for someone else's victory, albeit not too often in recent years..... but Bloo has yet to win a title (like CC last year) and we ALL want that for them someday soon.

• Like 4

Errrrr, I'm torn. I understand where he's coming from and I appreciate the dignity and tradition, but just as the activity has evolved with narration, props, dance moves, trombones, etc, so has the world we live in. The end of retreat marks the end of a grueling wonderful season for all of these performers, many of whom know each other from meeting on tour, marching other corps together, or even marching WGI. It's not the small world it used to be. Kids from Cali march in Canton, kids from Texas march in Cali and so on. Corps are no longer so isolated that performers only know the people in their unit. And really, let's face it - it's a social media world now full of selfies and snapchats and tumblr and facebook. Let them march into the stadium full of pageantry and dignity, but when all is done, give them a chance to move through the ranks to hug and congratulate their friends from other corps and take those all important selfies that capture "that one second" that they will remember the rest of their lives.

My age would qualify me as a dinosaur, but what I wouldn't give to have photos with friends from life moments like that.

Agree. It feels unnatural, almost unhealthy, for corps to suppress all that emotion until they're back in the tunnel. It always bummed me out that the corps members couldn't celebrate after all the scores were announced. (On the other extreme, BD's plume bobbing doesn't make me happy, either.) I'd love it if corps would come in and wait for scores like they used to, but after the winner is announced, go ahead and let it out.

My absolute favorite part of the "new retreat" has been BD going to congratulate the winner (of whatever that goal might be). Cadets show decorum and class by standing out of respect, but BD breaking ranks to congratulate Crown last year, that's really fantastic.

My favorite picture from my drum corps days was taken on the field after retreat in 1991. A bunch of former Suncoast (and a few Magic) members got together for a pic with Frank and Dennis. There were members from Blue Devils, Santa Clara Vanguard, Crossmen, Bluecoats, Magic, and Cadets in the picture (with our medals on). I am glad we had the opportunity to take that picture.

• Like 3

I'll always respect the Cadets for traditions like this one. That's exactly what they do and what they've always done and I hope it doesn't change anytime soon. The people that are saying well it would be nice if the kids could celebrate with the other corps, well they know that it won't be happening when they are wearing that uniform. The Cadets are for the lack of another word "intense" and members know this when they audition for them.

Bravo Cadets on yet another great show and season!

• Like 5

They have, on occasion, broken the rigid military bearing at retreat. There are several pictures floating around that are proof of that, so for anyone to say "that's how we've always done it" isn't accurate.

maybe from time to time BUT it is the Cadet way, and has been even way before Hopkins