George Hopkins response to the critics

I don't know. The Cadets started leaving three minutes after Blue Devils's score was announced.

They left in about 4 1/2 minutes in 2013 and 4 1/4 in 2012.

It probably wouldn't have caused a hubbub if it wasn't for the context of their dropping to 3rd and if the camera hadn't been pointing their way as they were leaving in the background while the foreground was the 'Coats and BD were congratulating each other.

About five minutes after the score, several other corps were leaving. Maybe Phantom was one of them.

Phantom started leaving the field at about the same time as Cadets. They had to stop and wait for Cadets to all leave before they could continue out.

The Cadets left the field 3 minutes after the final score was announced?

I don't see anything wrong with that...I thought you were supposed to clear the field so that the winning corps can do their encore performance.

That's what this is all about, huh. I was under the impression they left immediately.

Nothing wrong with a corps wanting to go out in private and mourn their losing out on 2nd / celebrate winning a bronze. And to give their season some closure.

After all, a drum corps is a family.

Honestly, I don't really see the reason ANYONE has to explain why a certain corps left the field when they did. People talk all the time about others needing to grow thicker skin. If YOU were so offended by a corps leaving as early as they did, maybe it is YOU who needs to grow thicker skin.

• Like 5

I'm just going to go on a limb and say that 2000Cadet might not be the most objective person in this thread.

To be fair, it's not possible to debate whether or not people took offense to the timing of the Cadets leaving the field. Obviously people did, in fact they are stating they were. The question is whether or not the Cadets departure was meant to be offensive. I personally do not believe that an organization of this age and size would take such an action in an activity like this. I do believe they should reconsider in the future because people are offended whether deliberately or not.

If a professional athlete, politician or celebrity did something that inadvertently offended people a majority would just apologize without admitting guilt and adjust his or her behavior in the future. Many would simply ignore the matter until it goes away. Then there's the handful that want more attention. They would attempt to explain, refuse to state they did anything wrong and continue to allow people to be offended at their actions. I'm going to put the Hopster in the last category.

I'm just going to go on a limb and say that 2000Cadet might not be the most objective person in this thread.

I know. The gaul of a former marching member defending his corps....

Certainly never happens on DCP. Ever.

:lle:

For what it's worth, I never marched Cadets but agree with every word Tekk said. There's way too much butthurt in the world to begin with. We don't need to add more over stupid crap like this.

• Like 1

They have, on occasion, broken the rigid military bearing at retreat. There are several pictures floating around that are proof of that, so for anyone to say "that's how we've always done it" isn't accurate.

Les Miserables retreat poses come to mind.

I don't mind what the Cadets did, and Hopkins shouldnt have to address it.

To be honest, when I was done with retreat when I was marching, I wanted to celebrate and see my brothers, and some for the last time for a while if ever.

There's plenty of time in the lot after everyone clears the stadium for hugs and handshakes.

I think what they did is fine and have a hard time understanding how they were in the wrong.

If it were offensive what they did then why have they done it each and every year that they were not in first place. It would be different had they done it last year, or in other year's, but they consistently do it, which should prove that they were not being rude.

If people want to talk about a corps being offensive, take a look at some of the #### the Cavaliers have pulled in retreat. ######## throwing jolly ranchers, crossing lines into other corps blocks?

Yet this is what people are upset about, a corps giving the field to the champion. Absurd.

• Like 1

Yes, GH and The Cadets should apologize for what they've always done, and change their ways. :thumbdown::plain: Give me a god*&!%$* break and get over yourself.

• Like 1

Obviously retreat hasn't always been in the present format. So the Cadets haven't always done it exactly as they have the past few years. When you were allowed to play yourself off, they did. I remember them finishing 2nd in 1992, and after the 3rd place corps played their way off the field, the Cadets play a quick song or 2 for the Cavaliers and then left the field.

In the older format you had to stay until it was your turn to leave (whether playing or not). It used to be the corps all left from 12th to 2nd, and then the champion had the field to themselves. I forget when DCI started dismissing the corps together (hoping the corps can figure out the traffic jam), which has caused some issues if you ask me.