Fans jump up in acceptance of electronics.

Some peoples failure's are others triumph's :smile:

They were both awesome medal winning shows.

• Like 1

No, what WE noticed or were reminded of was that Bluecoats fans are almost as hysterical as the Borg and many are trying to attach a greater relevance to this years’ show as some sort of validation of self. Very bizarre

And WE weren’t loving it all, some of it became hot-dog, washroom, beer refresh time.

I must be a cold hearted cow because, well, I’m glad Blue Knight went on before the intermission, gave us (yes, not just me but WE as in the person I went with) a longer break, got in front of the lines. My semis hot-dog corps wasn’t so well timed, that’s what I said...are WE starting to get it?

It’s nice WE can pick and choose which shows to ignore with all these corps.

You see WE don’t really have to accept anything yet can still attend

I figured finals would be crowded because the Borg was in the hunt, so typical…and with Bluecoats hot and only a few hours away…correlation is not causation

So please, it’s not WE it may be ME which is YOU but its not me

Bluecoats were one of the few corps to generate a standing O at Rutgers...AKA "Borg Country" to you... prior to their final chord. That includes long time corps people sitting all around me. No, you personally don't have to accept anything...but it appears that lots of the general audience liked what they saw and heard, from reading about other crowd reactions all over the country..

I've never had a Bloo show at the top of my list, until this year, and not just the ending. That just nailed down their total show IMO.

Oh...I only saw BK online...but they had an incredible show this year too. (IMO of course).

• Like 1

ummm...

I liked bloo's show but not because of the electronics, which were done well but I do not consider them revolutionary or game changing nor, do I consider their popularity this year definitive proof that everyone loves electronics or that this show alone turned the tide

Edited by cowtown

Cadets failed in musical selection, not electronics (or any other) execution. If anything, Cadets were one of the best examples yet of live narration. Blue Knights were a great example of recorded narration done well. DCP shows plenty of endorsements of both. Colts are an example of narration done poorly. No big deal. There were horn lines, drum lines and guards that executed poorly too.

Objectively, we have butts in seats to measure acceptance of a decade of electronics. Goal line to goal line is acceptance by any objective measure.

Enjoy your hot dog. Must be lonely in there.

HH

I thought out of the three that Colts had the most interesting use of narration, were the least trite and it’s use was most critical to the show. I also think the ‘failure’ of Cadets show was narrations effect on the rest of the show design as opposed to the narration itself, which I also disliked

• Like 1

Electronics are far from 'accepted' by many. The Bluecoats did a great job with them, but many examples of electronic implementation are far less effective (my opinion). I realize that the same could be said for music/marching/spinning, but there's something really jarring about electronics in drum corps (again, my opinion).

The first thought I had when I saw the Cadets this year... another waste of a talented corps because of narration, a 2007 reboot. By 'waste', I mean distancing the performers from the audience because of the narration. This is NOT an insult to the performers, they were incredible. I feel exactly the same way about the 2005 Blue Devils.

I'm still surprised that the Cadets went that route again.

Has a corps ever tried a manual pitch bend?

I feel in the minority here but I wasn't that excited about the ending because it didn't rely on brass-playing skills. I understand though, audience reaction should be worth something.

I'm not sure how many people played brass in this forum, but what they did is impossible on the horns. The first slide is down a major third, then up a minor seventh. Only the first one is possible on trombones and the second impossible on any wind instrument.

Cadets failed in musical selection, not electronics (or any other) execution. If anything, Cadets were one of the best examples yet of live narration. Blue Knights were a great example of recorded narration done well. DCP shows plenty of endorsements of both. Colts are an example of narration done poorly. No big deal. There were horn lines, drum lines and guards that executed poorly too.

Objectively, we have butts in seats to measure acceptance of a decade of electronics. Goal line to goal line is acceptance by any objective measure.

Enjoy your hot dog. Must be lonely in there.

HH

Colts narration was much better than Cadets.

Still don't care for EITHER instance of narration, but Colts fit with the program and at least I could see that it was there to be 50% partner to the music and visual, Cadets was tacked on propaganda that ruined the whole flow of the show for me. Just my perspective...

Electronics are far from 'accepted' by many. The Bluecoats did a great job with them, but many examples of electronic implementation are far less effective (my opinion). I realize that the same could be said for music/marching/spinning, but there's something really jarring about electronics in drum corps (again, my opinion).

The first thought I had when I saw the Cadets this year... another waste of a talented corps because of narration, a 2007 reboot. By 'waste', I mean distancing the performers from the audience because of the narration. This is NOT an insult to the performers, they were incredible. I feel exactly the same way about the 2005 Blue Devils.

I'm still surprised that the Cadets went that route again.

Not to mention "distancing" them physically from the crowd via the motorcycle ramp.

Gee ya don't think a lot of love given Bluecoats was also due to the fact that someone new was new the top? Kinda like last year.

People do love it when someone who has been plugging away for years makes it. That is until they make it too many years in a row... :wow:

But nah it's only because of the electronics.... geez you'd think nothing else was going on....