The Troopers, the American Legion, and a Rebuttal

Although . . . none of the kids making audition decisions today was even born in 1984. I would venture a guess that 98 percent know nothing about the frequency that ATB was played before Reagan's second term. Even among the 2 percent who do, during their own lifetimes those particular compositions have been played at a pace equal to that of, say, "Swan Lake." So, if they've both been played about the same number of times in the past 30 years, where would they get the perception that ATB is more dated than SL?

Yeah, and that doesn't apply to just people of membership age. I'm 42, saw my first drum corps show when I was 17 in 1989, have a subscription to the Fan Network and own the DCI Legacy dvd collection. Which means I've seen precisely one of the pre-1984 versions of "Shenandoah" and none of the pre-1984 versions of "America the Beautiful".

TINY nit: "Simple Gifts" was composed by Elder Joseph Brackett in 1848.

That being aside...GREAT post.

Edited by HornTeacher

I think it's the nature of the music. When I think "American," I think history, patriotic, etc. You'll have found the same reaction to Cadets' show this year. It's the Americana patriotic kind of stuff that people associate with "old," "historic," "ancient" even though a 200 year old Russian piece would not be associated in the same way.

I will forever think that the Troopers are a "grandfather's corps" until they change their direction but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I enjoyed their show this year.

Fixed, thanks. Will update if any corrections change the results of the analysis.

2much: Don't kill yourself over constantly updating your analysis over individual changes. Given the wide disparity in the ages of respective song titles you've researched, I doubt that there would be significant changes to your well thought-out thesis. Edit the date? Sure. But unless there would suddenly be a difference of 200 years or more, I don't think that one change would make much of a difference in your analysis. Case in point: while "Simple Gifts" was composed in 1848, it was largely unknown to the general population outside that of Shaker communities until it was introduced by Aaron Copland in "Ballet for Martha"/"Appalachian Spring" which was premiered in 1944.

Edited by HornTeacher

Some thoughts:

First, I had to take a knee to make it all the way through your initial post. Brevity can be good lol.

Second, the last thing I would consider a factor in the "grandfather" criticism is the age of the composition. I still don't see what that has to do with it.

Third, don't let one or a couple posters getting in a cheap dig bother you.

Finally, I would counter that the "grandfather" critique has more to do with the old fashioned uniform selection (from the 7th Ohio Cavalry of 1870-something). And also because of the Americana music they play. You've seen it on DCP all summer, patriotism is an outdated notion, America bad, blah blah. Mirroring the country's leadership. To me, that's the cool factor. It's cool to trash patriotism. Ahh, to be young....

Edited by HockeyDad

I have no problems with classical American music. I have a concern with Troopers doing more rolling around on the ground and role-playing than marching, and hoping they take another look at that next year.

Edited by Slingerland

Funny I looked at the post in the link and the era the poster is from (pretty much my era) and didn't see an insult.....

s/ guy who was in 1978 AL Nats....

Some thoughts:

First, I had to take a knee to make it all the way through your initial post. Brevity can be good lol.

Second, the last thing I would consider a factor in the "grandfather" criticism is the age of the composition. I still don't see what that has to do with it.

Third, don't let one or a couple posters getting in a cheap dig bother you.

Finally, I would counter that the "grandfather" critique has more to do with the old fashioned uniform selection (from the 7th Ohio Cavalry of 1870-something). And also because of the Americana music they play. You've seen it on DCP all summer, patriotism is an outdated notion, America bad, blah blah. Mirroring the country's leadership. To me, that's the cool factor. It's cool to trash patriotism. Ahh, to be young....

That would be the 11th Ohio Cavalry to be exact!!

• Like 1

That would be the 11th Ohio Cavalry to be exact!!

What was the 7th? Was that Custer? Or just my imagination?