What are the different types of headwear and which one is your favorit

Phantom's headgear this year after the uniform change! JUST KIDDING :smile:

Look liked an S&M outfit.

Look liked an S&M outfit.

Maybe they'll save the black uniforms and hats for some year when they do a show of all Frankie Goes to Hollywood music?

Maybe they'll save the black uniforms and hats for some year when they do a show of all Frankie Goes to Hollywood music?

...or 50 Shades of Grey...

I think someone needs to put "Welcome to the Pleasuredome" on the field. You listening Jersey Surf?

I like traditional shakos about the same as aussies. Helmets next - then there's those monstrosities that Crown has used the last couple of years. They just look plain old dumb.

I'm so glad someone asked this question. But I want make sure I'm clear about styles.

Shakos/tall plumes: like Blue Devils, Cadets, or Oregon Crusaders

Helmets: like Phantom Regiment, Bluecoats, or Spartans

Aussie hats with a feather: like Santa Clara or Cavaliers

Specialized hat: Troopers, Academy, Pioneer

Topless shako hat thingy: Crown

Please feel free to add corps and/or head coverings to this list.

My personal favorite is the helmet. I love the cascading feathers. I started this activity watching open class and I still love the Spartans looks about as well as any.

Edited by luv4corps

Regarding busbies and The Guardsmen:

That reminded me of my high school marching band's uniforms when I marched in the early 80s. The horns wore a complete Grenadier Guards style uniform, including the busby. The percussion wore a mostly white cape with helmet, definitely inspired by (if not downright copying) that era's Phantom Regiment.

The busby hat was awful, awkward on the top of the head. They would become especially top-heavy when we would shove all kinds of crap into them (anything from sweaters to snack food to cassette tapes). We (the horn line) would have never been able to do any of the dance type moves that are expected in the marching arts today. The hats would have slipped around and probably fallen off.

Come to think of it, I wonder if that is one reason for Carolina Crown's relatively minimalist current hat design -- it allows for a lot more freedom of movement.