Will BD 2014 go down as one of the greats?

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed the show, I think they earned the score, and I'm absolutely dumbstruck at the level of performance quality and cleanliness they were able to accomplish. But is it one of THOSE shows? Hmm. We'll see with time. Though "La Strada" was absolutely breathtaking, and the tambourine thing was sassy, but those are the only two things I can really think of off the top of my head without having to go back and watch it again.

My questions is this, 20 years from now, will the show be what is remembered, or just the score? Will there be moments in the show, like previously stated by a few people that are burned into our subconscious? Dissolving Company Fronts, Magic Tricks, Cross to Crosses, breathtaking drill, Stabbing drum majors, ect. I think the Blue Devils show was consistently at the highest quality, no peaks or valleys in quality of design, but in a way, does that kind of gets rid of those moments that we remember, maybe? I dunno.

How many of the shows we look at as greats were looked at that way when they were seen live over 20 years ago? Did you know then they were instantly classics? Or is time the only way of revealing the true answer to this question? I think this show will be remembered for a VERY long time as the all time high score, but will it be remembered for anything else?

Edited by DrumManTx

I say no. It will be remembered as a clean corps, but more people will talk about bluecoats than BD. There is not enough universal appeal IMO. I am sure that the alumni will put it up there, but honestly the only thing I can remember about this show is the hair extensions.

• Like 2

It definitely should go down as one of the greatest shows of all time, and in actuality, the greatest, as of now. But, if we are talking about favorite shows of all time, then that is a more subjective, eye of the beholder, type of question. For me Crossmen '98 is one of my favorite shows of all time, but no where near consideration for greatest show of all time.

You can't compare scores from show to show or year to year; remember it's just the spread between them and the other corps below them that pushed their score up. So, no. Perfect isn't perfect.

This show needs a hook; so we've got the Walking man, the opening fanfare, the tambourines... Not too much that I would say fits "one of the greats", but someone else may think this was the best ever.

I would not put the Bluecoats in the same universe as the Blue Devils with respect to quality of drill execution, variety of musical styles performed at a consistent and superb level of quality, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed the show, I think they earned the score, and I'm absolutely dumbstruck at the level of performance quality and cleanliness they were able to accomplish. But is it one of THOSE shows? Hmm. We'll see with time. Though "La Strada" was absolutely breathtaking, and the tambourine thing was sassy, but those are the only two things I can really think of off the top of my head without having to go back and watch it again.

My questions is this, 20 years from now, will the show be what is remembered, or just the score? Will there be moments in the show, like previously stated by a few people that are burned into our subconscious? Dissolving Company Fronts, Magic Tricks, Cross to Crosses, breathtaking drill, Stabbing drum majors, ect. I think the Blue Devils show was consistently at the highest quality, no peaks or valleys in quality of design, but in a way, does that kind of gets rid of those moments that we remember, maybe? I dunno.

How many of the shows we look at as greats were looked at that way when they were seen live over 20 years ago? Did you know then they were instantly classics? Or is time the only way of revealing the true answer to this question? I think this show will be remembered for a VERY long time as the all time high score, but will it be remembered for anything else?

I've found myself going back to catch another look at

1. La Strada (for the music)

2. La Strada (for the broken clown and umbrella woman on the runway)

3. A big rifle thrown to YOU and a big rifle thrown to YOU and a big rifle thrown to YOU!

4. Tambourine dance/mad crazy rifle work at the same time.

5. The musical hit after they play to the back then turn around.

6. The entire corps collapsing into a single diagonal...then rotating that sucker perfectly.

7. The snares on the boardroom table. Some real good "Drum Corps, hell yeah!" (Cadets 2000 and the 'playing each other's horns' thing was one of those for me too)

8. The overall showmanship of the entire performance. They knew they were winning that night, but they went out to give us the absolutely best show they could.

I think a lot of those moments will linger with me for a good while.

• Like 6

Definately not. There was nothing memorable or impressive about this season. To consider this along great shows like Cavies Machine or their record setting 02' year or Cadets record year or even Phantom's Spartacus show, doesn't even come close. Heck, it doesn't even come close when compared with Bluecoats show this year! This season had more of a feeling like the judges were determined to put this on top. Watching it definately didn't leave that sort of feeling at all for me. For me, there are many many better years BD had, even non winning ones, that were more memorable than this years. And honestly, to think this was they show that set a record, to me, is absolutely laughable. Where is the level of difficulty to even compare with those shows of the Cavies and Cadets when they set their records?? Not even comparable, especially in drill. Cavies drill was unreal! This years Devils was alot of plodding, park and blow, and simple drill movements. Just does not compare, at all.

• Like 1

This show will absolutely go down as one of the greats. From the unbelievable fanfare, down through the evocation of what felt like an old black and white movie brought to life, through the heart wrenching ballad juxtaposed with the "clown scene" through the carnival/circus-themed piece that turned into that fire-hot jazz number, through the amazing attacks of the brass during the Italian piece, through the pageantry displayed throughout the closing credits, this show had memorable moment after moment. Best show of the year and for a while.

Powerful music, playing, and guard. Amazing all around!

• Like 3

Definately not. There was nothing memorable or impressive about this season. To consider this along great shows like Cavies Machine or their record setting 02' year or Cadets record year or even Phantom's Spartacus show, doesn't even come close. Heck, it doesn't even come close when compared with Bluecoats show this year! This season had more of a feeling like the judges were determined to put this on top. Watching it definately didn't leave that sort of feeling at all for me. For me, there are many many better years BD had, even non winning ones, that were more memorable than this years. And honestly, to think this was they show that set a record, to me, is absolutely laughable. Where is the level of difficulty to even compare with those shows of the Cavies and Cadets when they set their records?? Not even comparable, especially in drill. Cavies drill was unreal! This years Devils was alot of plodding, park and blow, and simple drill movements. Just does not compare, at all.

Different times, different styles. You can't set a record with hard, dirty drill anymore. Execution and demand have to be in balance and the Blue Devils gave us a workshop this year on how to do it.

• Like 1