Boston Crusaders 2015 - 75th

I think the average age of most top 12 corps members is somewhere around 19 and increases the closer it reaches the top 6. I don't have any definitive data, but I seem to recall a few studies that supported this number. It obviously changes from year to year and from corps to corps, but I think this average is close IMO.

Having spoken with Steve Auditore years ago on the subject, they were finding back then that average age generally correlated to final placement. For the first few years they tracked data, the oldest (on average) corps won every year. I don't know if that continued true or not since then.

Mike

Having spoken with Steve Auditore years ago on the subject, they were finding back then that average age generally correlated to final placement. For the first few years they tracked data, the oldest (on average) corps won every year. I don't know if that continued true or not since then.

Mike

Crown 2013 broke a very long trend on the oldest avg. age corps winning trend (there were 5 corps with older avg. ages!)

Crown 2013 broke a very long trend on the oldest avg. age corps winning trend (there were 5 corps with older avg. ages!)

I don't think average age is as large a determinate as years of experience. You might have a complete corps (150 members) comprised totally of 21-year-olds. But if every one of those members were first-year marchers, I doubt they would place at the upper echelons of competition. Average age only works because it stands to reason that with age also comes experience -- and the "older" corps would primarily also contain members with more experience. Nothing set in stone, mind you...but that's the logic as I see it.

I don't think average age is as large a determinate as years of experience. You might have a complete corps (150 members) comprised totally of 21-year-olds. But if every one of those members were first-year marchers, I doubt they would place at the upper echelons of competition. Average age only works because it stands to reason that with age also comes experience -- and the "older" corps would primarily also contain members with more experience. Nothing set in stone, mind you...but that's the logic as I see it.

Interestingly the number of 1st year performers is trending up over most of the last 10 years while the number of 4 and 5 year performers is trending slightly down. The oldest corps trend was an excellent predictor until Crown bucked the trend. I agree with you that experience correlates strongly with age.

Interestingly the number of 1st year performers is trending up over most of the last 10 years while the number of 4 and 5 year performers is trending slightly down. The oldest corps trend was an excellent predictor until Crown bucked the trend. I agree with you that experience correlates strongly with age.

I wasn't aware of this, corpsband. Interesting info, and would provide for a whole discussion (the whys, wheres, and what-fors) in and of itself. Thanks for sharing -- I love the "behind the scenes" facts such as this.

Interestingly the number of 1st year performers is trending up over most of the last 10 years while the number of 4 and 5 year performers is trending slightly down.

Well, that does make sense, given the other trends. If corps are seeking older players because of the greater chance of success, then there are less opportunities for younger players. If there are less opportunities for younger players, than there will be less opportunity to create multi-year vets.

I wonder if the whole economic issue isn't also playing a role. As costs increase, Mom and Dad are increasingly feeling the pinch, and after a certain number of years have less money to help out the kids with yet another "summer camp." The kids are finding less available money sources for college grants and scholarships, and thus need to shoulder more of a burden if they don't wish to begin their adult lives buried up to their necks in college loans. Put it all together -- and affordability becomes a burdensome issue.

I wonder if the whole economic issue isn't also playing a role. As costs increase, Mom and Dad are increasingly feeling the pinch, and after a certain number of years have less money to help out the kids with yet another "summer camp." The kids are finding less available money sources for college grants and scholarships, and thus need to shoulder more of a burden if they don't wish to begin their adult lives buried up to their necks in college loans. Put it all together -- and affordability becomes a burdensome issue.

Yes, except that the college age kids who are living through the reduced grants/scholarships should ALSO be feeling the same pinch.

My completely uneducated opinion is that it is driven more by the corps themselves. It has to scare off a lot of high school age kids to know that the corps has move-ins in May, an entire month before the kid will finish up his high school year, but corps would rather have a 2nd year university music major than a High School junior - it's just logical that it increases their chances of success to accumulate that talent, if it's available.

Yes, except that the college age kids who are living through the reduced grants/scholarships should ALSO be feeling the same pinch.

My (removed) opinion is that it is driven more by the corps themselves. It has to scare off a lot of high school age kids to know that the corps has move-ins in May, an entire month before the kid will finish up his high school year, but corps would rather have a 2nd year university music major than a High School junior - it's just logical that it increases their chances of success to accumulate that talent, if it's available.

Your opinion is valued just as greatly as anybody elses -- at least with me. No need for caveats.

Edited by HornTeacher

Several years back Indiana University''s School of Medicine, DCI, and the Cavaliers collaborated in a physical study of demands on the DCI marching performer. If I remember correctly, which I might not fully, age also influenced lung development and the physical capacity of how much air could be pushed through the horn. Where this can be seen is filling a space like LOS/San Antonio/Atlanta, etc. by a hornline for a show with much demand and change for the performer as compared to smaller h.s. stadiums. The press box is the equivalent of six stories high and a block away from the performers. Age and physical maturation become a big influence in getting sound (without mics) forward to be impressive no matter what the mood of the music.

Edited by xandandl