2014 Drum Corps Associates World Championships Finals Competition

I saw the Cabs the week before and didn't notice any infractions on the boundary. Sadly it must have been a one time thing.

Yes it was close all year between Bucs and Cabs. Honestly, minus one judge at Readings home show, they were ahead. One judge called that show.

IMO, Bucs have NEVER been a good prelims corps. Even in 2012, the year you really couldn't deny they were the corps all year long, they didn't have a great run. Very good yes, great no.

The sheets are the same for all corps regardless of style. The sheet don't specify a certain type of design, they look for shows that are designed to be achieved, flow and make sense logically, as well as touch on all of the bullet points. DCA in it's 50 years have had a wild variety of show types win, and one thing every set of sheets did not do, was specify what type of show you had to do.

And the only instructions panels are given is "judge the show of the day". Knowing several judges, if they were tol to keep it close, they'd laugh in that person's face. There's no way to ensure that given you have several people all looking at different things, and then try to have them manage the total score while they manage their numbers? No way.

You'll never remove subjectivity. But guess what...the tic system was just as subjective as a clear tic was never EVER defined. In fact the sheets of today have for more criteria on them for judges to reference and use.

the tic system was even worse and much less accountability for a judge BITD. I cringe even today when I hear " I saw it like I called it " Sorry not a good enough answer BUT was popular bitd

• Like 1

After reading so many of these posts, I have to wonder what the postings would have been like if we had the Internet back in 1972. That was just a bit controversial also.

And yes, we have let it go, but that does not mean that as long as there is still one of us left alive, we will never forget, not after 42 years, not ever, as I'm sure Cabs and others will never forget this circumstance.

As much as it hurts, this penalty did NOT cost a corps the Title, the other one DID. Just saying.

Ray

different world today, that's for sure. As much as we also complained back in the day now the internet gives EVERYONE a voice. There's the good and bad of that. Also gone are the days of the spectator ( especially on the DCI side ) everyone is a judge, designer, director, uniform designer, etc etc. AGAIN there's the good and bad of that.

• Like 1

Now that Prelims videos are up, we may be able to check the same moment during the previous day's show. Approximately when in the show did the problem occur in Finals?

OK, so it appears that in Prelims the key section comes at 7:06-7:35 on the video, when a guard member on the right is dancing between the sideline and boundary line ... and she just might have violated the boundary in Prelims, too. It's very close. See specifically 7:07 near the 25-yard line, at 7:20 around the same place, and at 7:29 near the 35-yard line.

Edited by N.E. Brigand

The first reversal was 1986... Bushwackers from third to first. Cabs and Steel City had tied for first in Prelims that year.

:tic:

Deja vu all over again...all those therapy sessions, all shot to hell....

Eventually after all this dust settles, we'll finally realize just how incredible this year actually was.

and while I'm at it, after being messaged very rudely by Windsor Regiments Director Kevin, I'll apologize to the members of Windsor about performing where they did. I'll also have them know because of how their director spoke to me, i'll never be donating or purchasing from your corps.

I think its sorta crazy letting a NON finalist corps perform at finals. Does not make any sense at all. IMHO it would dig into my crawl if I was a finalist corps and worked hard to get there knowing the losing corps got to perform at finals just because DCA needed to fill some air time.

Heck if your going to fill some air time why not offer it to the corps that had to travel the furthest?? Silly yes but just as silly as offering it to 11th place or 12th place loser.

• Like 1

I think its sorta crazy letting a NON finalist corps perform at finals. Does not make any sense at all. IMHO it would dig into my crawl if I was a finalist corps and worked hard to get there knowing the losing corps got to perform at finals just because DCA needed to fill some air time.

Heck if your going to fill some air time why not offer it to the corps that had to travel the furthest?? Silly yes but just as silly as offering it to 11th place or 12th place loser.

I think it's fine in the case of a corps like Kidsgrove (who would likely have made it into Finals anyway) or Heartliner or any other non-normal corps. But with Sun declining, the honor, if given at all, should have gone to Excelsior.

It was even worse when there were just 11 or 12 in prelims yet 11th performed . If there going to perform why cut just one either let them compete or not perform.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

I think it's fine in the case of a corps like Kidsgrove (who would likely have made it into Finals anyway) or Heartliner or any other non-normal corps. But with Sun declining, the honor, if given at all, should have gone to Excelsior.

I understand your logic, but if people already thought having Windsor go on after Bucs - MBI - Cabs + Star was a let down (and I'm not sure most of the crowd did), then imagine what it would be like to have had Excelsior in that slot.

So while the ideal solution would be to have a special group like the Marines play, without that option, I still think that having Windsor play was much better than twelve minutes of dead air. As presented, the evening flowed very well with very little down time.

After reading so many of these posts, I have to wonder what the postings would have been like if we had the Internet back in 1972. That was just a bit controversial also.

Yes, just a tad. :tongue:

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1

Maybe it would have been nice to have Scout House do the exhibition or Tronoto to show that DCA is international .