Crown Percussion

Ramming is what I call it as well. Sorry for the confusion.

boxingfred, on 17 Sept 2014 - 8:19 PM, said:snapback.png

There Will Be Content! Oh There Will Be Content!

"Will it be the most contenty content ever?"

I hope you are not trying to be contentious.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 2

I really enjoyed the muffler feature personally. Yeah, thought it was a little bit long, but that combined with the wind chimes and other stuff from the front ensemble created a very ethereal, dreamy, out there mood for that section of the show.

Hey, if anything, doing that was new and super risky in its own respect, gotta give em that.

I'm as drummery as they come, and I thought that section completely killed any momentum they had generated. I'm not sure what effect they were going for, but it was waaaaay too long. It felt it like it was a huge minutes-long break in the show - I was amazed to look at my iPod and see it was only 60 seconds or so.

Mike

• Like 1

I'm as drummery as they come, and I thought that section completely killed any momentum they had generated. I'm not sure what effect they were going for, but it was waaaaay too long. It felt it like it was a huge minutes-long break in the show - I was amazed to look at my iPod and see it was only 60 seconds or so.

That featured, combined with the static space chord segment that followed, was 2 minutes of dead air from a show progression standpoint. They get credit for trying something different, but in execution, if felt like a hole in what was already a fairly light program.

• Like 1

boxingfred, on 17 Sept 2014 - 8:19 PM, said:snapback.png

"Will it be the most contenty content ever?"

I hope you are not trying to be contentious.

I will certainly be the most content when the fullest amount of contenty content alleviates all contentiousness.

• Like 1

Mike

To each their own, don't feel like everyone has to like it because I do.

Concerning how it fit in with the context of the show, I agree, it was basically a chance for the low brass to get switched over to the high brass instruments and set that moment up, that much was painfully obvious. But, I dunno, I just thought it created a very nice mood and sense of floating in space or whatever it was they were going for.

I think it was cool they tried something off the wall as far as a percussion feature is concerned, I appreciate the effort and thought, personally, they pulled it off to some extent. Maybe that's my percussion ensemble side coming through, really enjoyed the original improvisation by Evelyn Glennie and thought it was a nice break from the typical note crammed drum feature or run filled front ensemble feature. Though, what she was trying to do took MUCH more time to develop, and isn't something that could be translated as it was originally intended into a 1 minute or less marching percussion feature. Of all the things they risked and missed on in the show, I don't think it was the worst (trampolines *cough*cough).

Thinking about that section itself, I kinda enjoyed it. It didn't completely work in the flow of the show or keeping a wide variety of audiences intrigued, but I kinda liked it. But hey, we all have our different tastes and opinions, which is fine by me. Not for everyone!

Edited by DrumManTx

To each their own, don't feel like everyone has to like it because I do.

Concerning how it fit in with the context of the show, I agree, it was basically a chance for the low brass to get switched over to the high brass instruments and set that moment up, that much was painfully obvious. But, I dunno, I just thought it created a very nice mood and sense of floating in space or whatever it was they were going for.

I think it was cool they tried something off the wall as far as a percussion feature is concerned, I appreciate the effort and thought, personally, they pulled it off to some extent. Maybe that's my percussion ensemble side coming through, really enjoyed the original improvisation by Evelyn Glennie and thought it was a nice break from the typical note crammed drum feature or run filled front ensemble feature. Though, what she was trying to do took MUCH more time to develop, and isn't something that could be translated as it was originally intended into a 1 minute or less marching percussion feature. Of all the things they risked and missed on in the show, I don't think it was the worst (trampolines *cough*cough).

Thinking about that section itself, I kinda enjoyed it. It didn't completely work in the flow of the show or keeping a wide variety of audiences intrigued, but I kinda liked it. But hey, we all have our different tastes and opinions, which is fine by me. Not for everyone!

I'm with you...it was a unique idea, it just took too long for the upstairs sheets to truly reward it. But props for the idea

It was a wonderful, ethereal, unique mood in a drum corps show; that's probably why it went on longer than it would have if it was a more common emotional expression. It was clearly an attempt to capture the immense void of space and the remoteness and aloneness - and maybe coldness, alien-ness - experienced by those who go there, or who just imagine going there. A sense of wonder with a touch of fear. For me it worked perfectly, both the muffler part and the brass part that followed.

The issue is whether the muffler part was impressive enough from a technique standpoint; maybe not. But it was a GE high point of the season as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by Pete Freedman