Cadets 2015

Executing the show design. They could march a perfect 8:5 box drill while playing Mary Had a Little Lamb and not win because of the fact that no one knows what "GE" is.

My idea of Drum corps has TOTALLY changed now....

• Like 1

This year's Cadets is fairly straight-up, traditional drum corps. Not many frills, a few props, only minimal narration (in a 3rd person kind of way), and mostly exciting and demanding music paired with fast and exciting drill and awesome staging. The show has the recipe to finish top 3 for sure, and could win. Is it modern? Probably not, but I think it's modern enough, in particular with the things they are doing in the ballad and the waltz.

If people complain that they are not modern enough, well I'd say you can't have it both ways. You can't complain about a corps' use of narration, a big stage up front, too much cheese at the end of their show, etc., without there being some effect. Until the Cadets changed the ending of their 2014 show (where perhaps too much cheese was added) I actually really liked that show. I thought it was, by far, their best use of narration, and the stage up front didn't bother me. They didn't use it enough or effectively and it did make it difficult for the percussion to be brought forward. But still, to me that was a really nice show. But it needed an elegant ending, not cheese.

I agree with you wholeheartedly on both points. This year's edition of Cadets is pretty straight forward, stripped down and well put together. It isn't endowed with a ton of electronics or laden down with a ton of props. It is just good, solid, well executed drum corps (assuming execution still matters ... from some recent comments, perhaps only design matters ... but I digress). And I agree about your take on last year's show. I enjoyed it much more in Akron than I did in Indianapolis and the reason why had to do with the late season addition of the cheese factor. So long as this year's corps adds in some classic Cadets whipsaw drill as their tag ending, or something along those lines, and there are no banners being dropped from the rafters of Lucas Oil Stadium encouraging us to "Buy Bonds," I foresee a good chance for Cadets to medal, if not win.

• Like 1

You can't win without a show design that is "effective." It isn't enough to be stupid clean on a performance level.

Right, but you must have performers than can execute the design at the highest level.

Saying that the performers have "comparitively little" to do with what wins doesn't make much sense at all, considering achievement plays a HUGE role in determining if design is effective.

Edited by RedJazz1900

I agree with you wholeheartedly on both points. This year's edition of Cadets is pretty straight forward, stripped down and well put together. It isn't endowed with a ton of electronics or laden down with a ton of props. It is just good, solid, well executed drum corps (assuming execution still matters ... from some recent comments, perhaps only design matters ... but I digress). And I agree about your take on last year's show. I enjoyed it much more in Akron than I did in Indianapolis and the reason why had to do with the late season addition of the cheese factor. So long as this year's corps adds in some classic Cadets whipsaw drill as their tag ending, or something along those lines, and there are no banners being dropped from the rafters of Lucas Oil Stadium encouraging us to "Buy Bonds," I foresee a good chance for Cadets to medal, if not win.

If I see ANY banners drop down during their show, I'm walking out of the oil can, no ifs ands or buts about it.

Edited by 2000Cadet
  • Like 1

Executing the show design. They could march a perfect 8:5 box drill while playing Mary Had a Little Lamb and not win because of the fact that no one knows what "GE" is.

To maximize scores you need to be strong in every area...the show needs to be well-designed, has to have a high level of content and it has to be performed well in both the "exetcution" for the performance captions and the "interpretation" in the effect captions. That has really not changed much since I started in drum corps.

• Like 1

It isn't enough to be stupid clean on a performance level.

And it isn't enough to have a well-designed show if it isn't clean. The two are connected, design and execution. I swear, if I had a dollar for every time I heard a GE judge at critique say, "You gotta clean it up," I'd have lots and lots and lots of dollars. The judges absolutely LOVE seeing design elements that are well-constructed and coordinated well to other elements of the show. And they will always ask for more more more when it comes to that stuff. But they will not give you the maximum value for those efforts if it's not clean at the end of the year.