Cadets 2015

I've been hearing something about this competition being televised or something. Does anyone have details on that?

I apologize, I didn't see his answer. I'll go back and look for it.

Just because my username is "Cappybara" and you have some weird thing in for me doesn't mean you should always assume the worst. Lay off or I'll need to start talking to the mods about harassment.

I'm completely confused at the direction of this thread. Is there a show tonight or something?

Anyways, in keeping with the "10" theme, I think Cadets should have made that large "analog signal" set in movement two a "digital signal". 1s and 0s.

I'm sorry. I've been analyzing computer network traffic all day and it's translating into this thread.

Edited by 2000Cadet

I agree that adult-created content is part of the game. The better the adult-created design (as you guys like to put it) then certainly the better chances the corps has of being successful. Then again, this is no different than a teacher's responsibilities in school, or a parents' responsibilities at home. We are the product of a good education, which involves teacher, parent, student, environment, and school infrastructure. The same is true in drum corps.

This is a great post and the above is my only point. I express no opinion on whether "adult-created" design being factored into the scoring is good or bad. I simply note that to think that "execution wins" is flawed.

Anyway... let's see some straight legs tonight, Cadets! GO GO GO

Those who believe that ( for example ) Carolina Crown could have won themselves a DCI Title 2 years ago finishing 6th in a GE caption ( instead of 6th in the performance execution caption of Percussion ) would be well advised to explain how this would be possible. If they could do so, perhaps this notion they have that the GE captions are not a bit more important than the performance execution captions might be a bit more persuasive in their position. Those of us that believe today's judging sheets reward the Show Design more than the performance execution, are persuaded ( for a real live world example ) that Carolina Crown could not have possibly won themselves a DCI Title 2 years had they finished 6th on a GE Caption, rather than 6th on a performance execution caption ( Percussion ).

The impact of a single placement in the performance captions is minimized to an extent because each sheet's score is divided in half. The total of music performance is 30 points, but the 3 sheets are added up and divided by two. So the 1.1 from 1st to 6th becomes a net .55 from first, not as wide a spread as it appears at first glance.

• Like 2

The impact of a single placement in the performance captions is minimized to an extent because each sheet's score is divided in half. The total of music performance is 30 points, but the 3 sheets are added up and divided by two. So the 1.1 from 1st to 6th becomes a net .55 from first, not as wide a spread as it appears at first glance.

I'm glad you went back and took a peek at the recap and its implications. I thought about doing it and decided to take a nap instead.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 1

Well, hopefully not short-lived, congrats Cadet on winning Brass tonight. While your book is fantastic, I didn't expect a win over BD or Crown. FANTASTIC JOB.

• Like 3

Well, hopefully not short-lived, congrats Cadet on winning Brass tonight. While your book is fantastic, I didn't expect a win over BD or Crown. FANTASTIC JOB.

Hey, you just never know. That opener is gold!

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 3

Glad to see the bars and hoops are no longer white, and even happier to see that the swing flags have been replaced! Swing flags at that size and at that speed are #### near impossible to get 100% clean, not worth the visual impact or the reward on the sheets. Overall, this guard is being asked to do SO MUCH! I think this might be one of, if not the most difficult flag book of the season. The flag line in the closer is giving me life!

• Like 2

I honestly think BD is the front runner for the Ott, but Cadets have an honest shot at it. I wouldn't worry too much over placements tonight. I've looked at Power of Ten as a come from behind masterpiece. It will get its respect during finals week. BD's visual is soooo muddled. It's some of the worst I've seen from them in recent history. Yeah, I know they came in first tonight, but Cadets will catch them. At some point, the judges are going to have to concede that BD has been giving us the same visual formula since 2008, and the concept is growing stale. There's nothing "avant garde" about it anymore. Was it ever avant garde?