Cadets 2015

I know what you mean, and it's not unlike what BoyWonder1911 said in the predictions thread. I guess my response is -- it's not that kind of show. The audience response to this show comes from the attitude, intensity, performance level, and just really great music/marching/spinning. And if you can get people to sometimes notice some pretty cool/interesting stuff going on in relation to 10, then that's a big bonus and something they want to do.

Think:

Cavaliers 2001 Four Corners

Cavaliers 2002 Frameworks

Cavaliers 2003 Spin Cycle

BD 2003 Phenomenon of Cool

BD 2004 Summertrain Blues Mix

to name a few.

Couldn't have said it better.

I know what you mean, and it's not unlike what BoyWonder1911 said in the predictions thread. I guess my response is -- it's not that kind of show. The audience response to this show comes from the attitude, intensity, performance level, and just really great music/marching/spinning. And if you can get people to sometimes notice some pretty cool/interesting stuff going on in relation to 10, then that's a big bonus and something they want to do.

Think:

Cavaliers 2001 Four Corners

Cavaliers 2002 Frameworks

Cavaliers 2003 Spin Cycle

BD 2003 Phenomenon of Cool

BD 2004 Summertrain Blues Mix

to name a few.

Yeah, BoyWonder's post pretty much sums up where I'm coming from. From a technical standpoint, I'm sure this show is going to be a beast. And there is emotion in the source music. I'm simply wondering, given the concept of the show, what (if anything) they're trying to convey, and how else they will pull me, and the judges, in.

I'm sure I'm going to enjoy the show, but I'm concerned about how it will stack up against the other top corps from an overall design standpoint.

Here's my first read on the June 6th peri.

Wow!

Loved the opener. Vintage dynasty Cadet mood and movement from mid '80's Tempo and energy is definitely engaging, well performed for June, much potential for August!
Ballad is very cleverly done. The contrast of the restricted 10 yards and the vertical (front to back) movement compared to the wide field opener is not only different for the activity, definitely sets an Act Two awareness, and allows for nice variation in presentation and focus. However, those props will continue to distract if not precisely lifted, angled, and placed. Ditto in French horn feature. Even minute variations and gaps are noticed as all eyes are on those ten yard lines. This will have to be addressed and cannot wait the same way the Barber towers were delayed and never addressed.
Though I was not for the other instrumentation change to the rules, I am a sucker for French horns and enjoyed their feature. (If we can survive Litlte Nick Watkins, ha, ha.)

I can't wait for what the finale feature.

One of the hallmarks of a championship show is how quickly it seems to be over. These ten minutes flew!!!

However, those props will continue to distract if not precisely lifted, angled, and placed. Ditto in French horn feature. Even minute variations and gaps are noticed as all eyes are on those ten yard lines. This will have to be addressed and cannot wait the same way the Barber towers were delayed and never addressed.

That was my thought exactly...if they are going to create a symmetric picture, those platforms have to move in synch and as though they were one, side-to-side and front to back.On the video they loked like random white blobby things, very distracting. I think they are small enough that they will get that done.They never did get the Bumper Cars, I mean Barber Towers, to work as i'm sure they wanted.

• Like 2

I can't wait to see how the staff plays around with the staging of the 10 yard feature. It definitely feels place holder-ish and I'm sure the final version will be something to remember.

A bit on the nose with the bowling pin formations in the guard but that will likely change. LOVE the music. Can't wait to see the polished beast come August.

Tekk, Tobias,

I want The Cadets to be as good and entertaining as anyone else. I'm just identifying things in this show which are similar to other moments which I (and others) perceived as design hiccups in previous years. The inelegant handling of props frustrates me because BD has shown how to integrate things into the program, and arguably enhance the product, rather than make them a burden. Some synth choices have been IMHO questionable in the past, like the "smooth jazz piano breakdown" in 2009's version of "Cool."

I am aware that The Cadets have earned medals in 3 of the last 4 seasons. My dream would be for them to fight for gold every year.

That was my thought exactly...if they are going to create a symmetric picture, those platforms have to move in synch and as though they were one, side-to-side and front to back.On the video they loked like random white blobby things, very distracting. I think they are small enough that they will get that done.They never did get the Bumper Cars, I mean Barber Towers, to work as i'm sure they wanted.

I think the props will be easier to clean this time around as they are small. They will be covered with fabric so they won't be that glaring white that they have now. I actually like them and love how they come together to form a stage for the French Horn feature and then gets dismantle. They know they got slammed with the towers two years ago and GH admitted they should have had someone delegated to "cleaning the Tower movement".

part of putting it "out there" pre-season is actually to gather the criticisms, evaluate them, and apply what may be truthful.

Disagreement is another matter. Everyone has likes and dislikes. Sometimes the differences will just be differences.

Thanks FTNk for respectfully voicing yours.

• Like 1

The funny thing is that I watched 2013 on high cam 2 days ago and the towers didn't bother me that much! lol

It's weird, to be honest. The towers don't bother me on the videos nearly as much, but man were they a *huge* distraction when you saw the show live. They were distracting to the point that it essentially ruined the performance of one of the best brass lines and cohesive musical performances Cadets have ever fielded.

• Like 3