Cadets 2015

I can't wait to see how the staff plays around with the staging of the 10 yard feature. It definitely feels place holder-ish and I'm sure the final version will be something to remember.

A bit on the nose with the bowling pin formations in the guard but that will likely change. LOVE the music. Can't wait to see the polished beast come August.

I like the concept that they are containing the corps within the 10 yard line as it visually reinforces the change in mood from the opener to the ballad. WHAT they're doing within the 10 yard lines is hard to read from the periscope vids for me at this point but it can certainly be layered to be a very interesting part of the show and it was stated that it was to be a guard centric portion of the show. Edited by Tobias

It's weird, to be honest. The towers don't bother me on the videos nearly as much, but man were they a *huge* distraction when you saw the show live. They were distracting to the point that it essentially ruined the performance of one of the best brass lines and cohesive musical performances Cadets have ever fielded.

Agree!!! When I saw them in person that summer, it seemed that the guard spent so much time moving those huge props around that it indeed was a distraction.

I'm always a bit wary of a corps using giant moveable props in their show to "frame" the action, for lack of a better phrase.... and when the show is dependent on those props being in the right place at the right times, there is no margin for error and the real risk that all that movement will get in the way of what's happening visually and musically.

I think props like that work well in a stage environment... where they can be moved quickly on and off stage, either by stagehands or by being motorized/elevated, whatever... but not quite as well on a football field.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1

I think the props will be easier to clean this time around as they are small. They will be covered with fabric so they won't be that glaring white that they have now. I actually like them and love how they come together to form a stage for the French Horn feature and then gets dismantle. They know they got slammed with the towers two years ago and GH admitted they should have had someone delegated to "cleaning the Tower movement".

Exactly, which is why I also said "I think they are small enough that they will get that done".

I think they'll be a great addition to the show as the season progresses.

• Like 1

The funny thing is that I watched 2013 on high cam 2 days ago and the towers didn't bother me that much! lol

I totally agree. I actually really liked the towers. Any time I've voiced criticism for that particular design choice in 2013, it's been from the judge's perspective.

This is nothing short of splendid. The marching on the pyramid was very effective. More please!

It boggles the imagination how good this could be by finals. With a potential 226 ending to boot? The judges are going to need oxygen tanks after this one. Gurney, please! The Cadets are going to slay so many with this year's show people are going to start calling them the Phantom Regiment. Giant killers!

Giant Killers? - They are giants :tounge2:

About the same thing as "Ink" is to the Blue Devils show. A title. Something to hang the show on. An idea that may be translated in very clear (or very abstract) visual and musical ways.

That's a bad comparison. I think comparing Power of 10 to Tilt would be better. Both are very simple, at the surface type of themes. BD's Ink is much, much deeper, as are most of BD's shows.

Concerning the emotional discussion a few pages back, I find it best with a theme like this to find emotion in the music and performers conveyance of it rather than in trying to find it in the theme itself, because it's not there. Which is not a bad thing. Wish I woulda done that in 2013 and maybe I'd have enjoyed that show a lot more at the time. Same with Bluecoats last year, wasn't meant to make you happy/sad in the theme itself, but the show elicited a hell of a lot of emotional response. I'd say holy #### that was awesome with a huge smile on your face is some emotion. Shostakovich 10 and its history has a lot of emotional content behind it for sure, as does the Mulholland Drive selection (surprisingly good movie I might add). Don't dig for what is not there and enjoy what is in my eyes.

I'm not talking about that in terms of scoring so don't start a debate off of that, just in terms of personal enjoyment of the show.

• Like 1

Tekk, Tobias,

I want The Cadets to be as good and entertaining as anyone else. I'm just identifying things in this show which are similar to other moments which I (and others) perceived as design hiccups in previous years. The inelegant handling of props frustrates me because BD has shown how to integrate things into the program, and arguably enhance the product, rather than make them a burden. Some synth choices have been IMHO questionable in the past, like the "smooth jazz piano breakdown" in 2009's version of "Cool."

I am aware that The Cadets have earned medals in 3 of the last 4 seasons. My dream would be for them to fight for gold every year.

But you've marched Cadets (at least I think you did; correct me if I'm wrong) so you know they're not about going after gold year after year. They've always been about experimenting so it should come as no surprise. Though, I see your point.

That's a bad comparison. I think comparing Power of 10 to Tilt would be better. Both are very simple, at the surface type of themes. BD's Ink is much, much deeper, as are most of BD's shows.

Explain how "deep" "Ink" is. I haven't seen much of the show but clips and I don't see any deep meanings so far.

You know it's funny. When Cadets try to tell a story or have a show with some type of "emotion", a lot of people complain that they just want the horns, drums and guard to convey the thought of the show. Now it appears they're doing just that, and now people want some kind of meaning.

• Like 1

Shostakovich 10 and its history has a lot of emotional content behind it for sure, as does the Mulholland Drive selection (surprisingly good movie I might add). Don't dig for what is not there and enjoy what is in my eyes.

IMO so much of Shostakovich 10 is musical chaos and what Cadets are doing on the field conveys that. I still have to watch the opening number again and again to understand what exactly they are doing on the field - they are all over the place. I wish I could get a clean read of the drill - one of the things that doesn't help is the giant logo in the middle of their practice field.

As for Mulholland Drive - I thought the music was the best part of the movie. The rest was just too bizarre for me.

• Like 1