Cadets 2015

Really, that's too bad. So many great works lost forever to drum corps and the marching arts world in general. Oh well, on to the next off-season fantasy. That's what the off-season is all about anyway.

I wonder when this happened though. Didn't the Cadets do a Maestro Bernstein show a few years ago with West Side Story? Let's hope they were able to overcome this, since I would not want to have that show have to be removed from DCI media.

http://www.musicforall.org/resources/copyright/leonard-bernstein

Excerpt:

To: All Bands of America/Music for All Fall Participating Bands and Band Directors

Date: September 1, 2010

Re: “Permission to Arrange” and the music of Leonard Bernstein

We would like to remind all of our participating bands of their obligation to obtain “Permission to Arrange” for all original arrangements of copyrighted music used in fall marching band shows. Any music performed that is not a published or stock arrangement, in public domain, or an original composition, requires the permission of the copyright holder to be arranged for your performance.

We have recently been made aware of new approval policies regarding requests for the use Leonard Bernstein’s music. Requests are being denied if they do not meet the following standards established by The Leonard Bernstein Office:

• The arrangement must respect the melody, rhythm and harmony of the original.
  • The arrangement must be either of the complete composition or a substantial extract that has a clear beginning and end.
  • The Bernstein Office will not give permission for the creation of medleys or the use of a paraphrase of a song or the ‘layering’ of one song over another.
Edited by mingusmonk

The above posters living in the past and wishing a re-hash of Bernstein's Mass fail to acknowledge that the current licensing restraints put on Bernstein's music by those who now hold the sole rights prohibit any adaption from the scores as Maestro Bernstein originally wrote them. Get a different fantasy to amuse yourselves during the off-season. :-)

It is possible to arrange Bernstein's music, as shown in a post above, as long as you are careul. The band I wrote for acquired the rights to arrange music from Chichester Psalms and Mass for our show in 2009. We had to send them scores. We never heard anything back after we sent them the scores.

• Like 1

It is possible to arrange Bernstein's music, as shown in a post above, as long as you are careful. The band I wrote for acquired the rights to arrange music from Chichester Psalms and Mass for our show in 2009. We had to send them scores. We never heard anything back after we sent them the scores.

I wonder who does the actual approval of the scores. A college intern in the office working on her music degree?

I want to see at least any drum corps take up the challenge of successfully performing music that is seemingly impossible to transfer to or to envision in the drum corps medium. Keyboard/Piano music is like this. The very technical piano works of Bach, Beethoven, and Liszt are difficult to imagine a drum corps playing, let alone actually attempting to arrange them. But if somebody really put their mind to arrange it and a corps pulls it off, it would be INCREDIBLE.

Nowadays some drum corps arrangers would reply: no problem, we'll just give that part to the actual keyboard in the pit.

Nowadays some drum corps arrangers would reply: no problem, we'll just give that part to the actual keyboard in the pit.

If Regiment ignores my annual demand ( :tounge2: ) to do Janacek's Sinfonietta, and wants to redo something...I'd love to see them redo the Saint Saen's Symphony #3, the "Organ" symphony, with an organ.

• Like 1

So if, as is being reported, Cadets' are going to perform Shostakovich's Symphony No. 10, will their point of view align or oppose what was claimed to be Shostakovich's view of the piece, in the controversial posthumous book Testimony? To wit:

"I did depict Stalin in my next symphony, the Tenth. I wrote it right after Stalin's death and no one has yet guessed what the symphony is about. It's about Stalin and the Stalin years. The second part, the scherzo, is a musical portrait of Stalin, roughly speaking. Of course, there are many other things in it, but that's the basis."

Some musicologists find this interpretation dubious.

So if, as is being reported, Cadets' are going to perform Shostakovich's Symphony No. 10, will their point of view align or oppose what was claimed to be Shostakovich's view of the piece, in the controversial posthumous book Testimony? To wit:

"I did depict Stalin in my next symphony, the Tenth. I wrote it right after Stalin's death and no one has yet guessed what the symphony is about. It's about Stalin and the Stalin years. The second part, the scherzo, is a musical portrait of Stalin, roughly speaking. Of course, there are many other things in it, but that's the basis."

Some musicologists find this interpretation dubious.

You need motie logic for the actual answer:

On the one hand align, on the other hand oppose.

On the gripping hand, they will completely ignore any of the original meaning in the piece.