Carolina Crown 2015

Honestly I think it's a pretty nice ballad. It may not go anywhere right now for some of you, but I think it's a pretty good foundation upon which they can build.

Disappointing in isolation I agree but I think in context of the show they're doing, I see it working.

Disappointing in isolation I agree but I think in context of the show they're doing, I see it working.

The piece is all about expression, dynamics and emotion. I think perhaps Messrs. Klesch and Harloff know a thing or two about those particular elements. In fact the entire repertoire is chock full of those items. I have a feeling it will be a long road to fulfilling the potential of this show but it will be worth the wait.

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 2

This show will be unlike any other Crown production to date. I agree with corpsband in that this show (at least musically) is all about playing expressively. Not that there aren't plenty of technical moments for the brass! I am interested to see how the product develops over the coming months.

The piece is all about expression, dynamics and emotion. I think perhaps Messrs. Klesch and Harloff know a thing or two about those particular elements. In fact the entire repertoire is chock full of those items. I have a feeling it will be a long road to fulfilling the potential of this show but it will be worth the wait.

I understand that. That's why my comment in response to another poster was the piece probably shouldn't be critiqued in isolation but rather when its incorporated into the overall design.

Am I the only one who doesn't like this ballad nearly as much as the ones they've done the past 2 years? Granted, apart from 2013 and 2014, the only ballad from Crown I've liked is in 2007.

But... Unless they make some changes to this ballad (and they very well could since it's early), I don't see how they can create a nice build up moment in there. I think the soft ending is great, but there's no buildup or a chance for there to be a buildup so the soft ending isn't nearly as effective. The effect is "monotone" to me. Hopefully they make some changes in there. Love the flugel work though.

Interesting reaction. Maybe I like it more because I already knew and loved the source music?

Interesting reaction. Maybe I like it more because I already knew and loved the source music?

I've become very familiar with the source music since Crown's announcement (I've listened to everything many many times now) so it's not necessarily unfamiliarity with the source music. I just don't see the ballad going anywhere right now. It's a lot of doom and gloom without any sign of "hope" if I want to describe it metaphorically.

In 2013, Crown used (cheesy) narration to slowly build up to a climax in their ballad which was extremely effective. In 2014, the ballad started out slow and soft with just the solos from numerous players on the field. By the end, they had built up to a climatic moment, giving the ballad a good resolution. What's the difference between this ballad and the past 2 ballads? This years' ballad ends soft. It doesn't end with a large impact. And that is perfectly fine, this wouldn't be the first ballad to end in such a way (bluecoats 2012 comes to mind). But even Bloo 2012 had that moment within the ballad.

I totally understand that not only was this a run through from March, it was also only with the hornline. As the hornline starts to refine the dynamics, unify the style with which they are playing the piece, and in the percussion, the ballad may end up sounding much, much better. But if changes aren't made, the ballad is going to continue to sound bland to me.