How did Carolina Crown's hornline rise to dominance so fast

That's interesting, but makes sense. I'm surprised since so many BD members have rings on during their finals performance each year.

It's be interesting to see the data on that.

A lot of those rings are given to members from alums. A lot of rings from past years on the field that the member themselves never won.

Not a tradition I agree with, think it's too ostentatious, but it's what BD does.

A lot of those rings are given to members from alums. A lot of rings from past years on the field that the member themselves never won.

Not a tradition I agree with, think it's too ostentatious, but it's what BD does.

Had never heard that, and the people I've known in BD over the years have never mentioned it, and worn their own.

I guess there's more to it than I was told.

Thanks for the info.

IMO, it was only "so quick" as Star's rise to the top. Star rose steadily through the 80s, starting 10th in 1985, then 4 years later landing in the top 6, hitting their stride starting in 1990 with 4 straight brass trophies and gold in 1991. Crown hit the reset button in 2003 and placed 10th, then 4 years later landing in the top 6, hitting their stride in 2009 with 4 of 6 brass trophies and gold in 2013. Pretty remarkable paralleling of Star, and it's no coincidence that Crown has some Star staff and Cadets staff, and Star had Garfield staff, too. Granted, every corps has staff that came from some other corps, but only a few corps right now seem to have a notable concentration of staff that have been involved in the great programs and shows and sections of the past 10-20 years.

• Like 2

Uhhhhh..."a lot"? More like "a few". You're looking at a group that has won the title four out of the last six years now. Their feeder "B" corps has done the same in Open Class, including a threepeat in 2010-2012. Many of those kids now march with the World Class units, and carry their Open Class rings along with the World Class ones. I'm quite involved with the alumni, and I can only think of a couple of instances in which kids carry alumni rings onto the field. It's sort of a hype in those instances...more of a way for the alumni to connect with the current group and kids. Most just carry them on a necklace underneath the jacket, which I don't have a problem with. Not a fan of wearing them on the outside of the uniform during competition.

Placement " stuck ", not " quality " stuck.

I like to call it the 5th place barrier. Blue Coats and Crown have been able to break through but think of the corps that peaked at 5th and then dropped back. BK, Glassmen, BAC, Scouts -except for 95- have not been able to push through that 5th place barrier. Lets see if Bluecoats can keep up the momentum. They might but history is against them

Edited by Bucbari

I like to call it the 5th place barrier. Blue Coats and Crown have been able to break through but think of the corps that peaked at 5th and then dropped back. BK, Glassmen, BAC, Scouts -except for 95- have not been able to push through that 5th place barrier. Lets see if Bluecoats can keep up the momentum. They might but history is against them

Scouts are a two time champion... Just saying.

• Like 1

Scouts are a two time champion... Just saying.

And the Troopers and Blue Stars both finished in 2nd place at one time as well. All of this was a very long time ago. I don't think it's unfair to draw a competitive line in the sand when it comes to the Scouts after the 1988 season. It's been 25 years now with no title, and no higher than 4th (20 years ago) in that time. A terrific drum corps, no doubt, and a former DCI Champion. But yeah, I'd lump them in with that group of consistent bottom 6 corps amongst some others as well who are working to break through.

And the Troopers and Blue Stars both finished in 2nd place at one time as well. All of this was a very long time ago. I don't think it's unfair to draw a competitive line in the sand when it comes to the Scouts after the 1988 season. It's been 25 years now with no title, and no higher than 4th (20 years ago) in that time. A terrific drum corps, no doubt, and a former DCI Champion. But yeah, I'd lump them in with that group of consistent bottom 6 corps amongst some others as well who are working to break through.

True.

To be fair, "bottom 6" only within the constraints of Top 12. One can hardly think of them as "bottom 6" in terms of World-Class Corps -- ever.

Edited by HornTeacher
  • Like 1