You ( and apparently a few other DCP'ers ) don't seriously believe that these DCI Corps could close these borrowed outdoor facilities and stadiums and exclude the taxpayors, local townspeople, or college summer residents, students, and what have you from going into that stadium to see whats going on there. Or are you ? Are you saying that these Corps have the right to deny public access to property that they they do not have deeds and titles to ? just curious here thats all, as to what DCP'ers here believe citizens, taxpayors, can not do in their own public ( and private ) school stadiums that they pay for either in taxes, tuition, fees, etc. These Corps are all guests at these practice sites, not owners of these facilities. And unless, as part of the rental agreement, the owners have given up their rights to access of the outdoor facilities to the locals and others to see whats going on there, I see no legal way that a Corps could restrict outdoor stadium practices to the public., should a Corps decide to take that unfortunate and Draconian tack.

Maybe corps should have bouncers on staff?

/no - not serious

• Like 1

You (and apparently a few other DCPers) don't seriously believe that these DCI Corps could close these borrowed outdoor facilities and stadiums and exclude the taxpayers, local townspeople, or college summer residents, students, and what have you from going into that stadium to see whats going on there. Or are you? Are you saying that these corps have the right to deny public access to property that they they do not have deeds and titles to?

I work in a producing theatre. We don't own the facilities where we rehearse or perform; another non-profit manages those spaces. Those facilities, and indeed our company, certainly get support from the taxpayers (a fact which is less relevant for discussions of the Bluecoats' camp: Denison is a private university). And we absolutely get to decide who can see our rehearsals. (For that matter, at performances, we've made plenty of audience members delete photos from their cameras or phones.)

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 1

In addition to the props, take note of the speakers all over the field. Obviously they're going to be playing with the mix to create directional effects.

That would be VERY cool! I like also that you would have to attend a show to get the full effect of the sound. A good way to get people out!

I know in fact that "bouncers" were used by several top corps back in the late '80's/early 90's when one West Coast corps was found to be sending low level brass and drum techs to open practices, audio taping what was played, and then playing it back to judges in cocktail sessions and post contest critiques while making specific negative comments about this part or that.

When one of the relatives of a member marching in Corps ^^^ recognized the tech and realized the tech was taping, an extremely dramatic shouting match ensued and eventually the whole story came out. It led to much comment, debate, argument, and challenges in the Rules Congress and judging sessions after the season. Though nothing was specifically put into the Rule book, this is the same time as when some judges were let go after having been found to be running clinics for certain marching bands whose directors were DCI instructors the judges were judging.

Since two of the corps involved are still with us, and a few of the subjects mentioned above, I deliberately do not mention names. But talk to your local veteran brass caption head if you doubt this story.

Today with the cellphone capacities and other tech devises available, even a bouncer might not help keep practices "closed." (The old, "I forgot my cell phone in the bleachers" excuse...)

Closed rehearsals happen in today's drum corps. Not a whole lot, and not always for the same reasons. But they happen. It's not rocket science and doesn't require CIA presence or United Nations monitoring.

You ( and apparently a few other DCP'ers ) don't seriously believe that these DCI Corps could close these borrowed outdoor facilities and stadiums and exclude the taxpayors, local townspeople, or college summer residents, students, and what have you from going into that stadium to see whats going on there. Or are you ? Are you saying that these Corps have the right to deny public access to property that they they do not have deeds and titles to ? just curious here thats all, as to what DCP'ers here believe citizens, taxpayors, can not do in their own public ( and private ) school stadiums that they pay for either in taxes, tuition, fees, etc. These Corps are all guests at these practice sites, not owners of these facilities. And unless, as part of the rental agreement, the owners have given up their rights to access of the outdoor facilities to the locals and others to see whats going on there, I see no legal way that a Corps could restrict outdoor stadium practices to the public., should a Corps decide to take that unfortunate and Draconian tack.

Just because I pay school taxes doesn't mean I can waltz into the local high school band hall and watch them rehearse whenever I want to. My taxes also pay for the Alamodone, but that doesn't mean I can just hang out there whenever I want to. I also pay part of the mayor's salary but this doesn't give me the right to walk into his office whenever I want to. I could go on. The idea that a school district can't set the terms of who enters their facilities (and, by extension, any groups they've contracted with to use those facilities) is absurd. Do you also think local citizenry is allowed to enter the stadium at will during DCI shows? By your logic, they should.

I work in a producing theatre. We don't own the facilities where we rehearse or perform; another non-profit manages those spaces. Those facilities, and indeed our company, certainly get support from the taxpayers (a fact which is less relevant for discussions of the Bluecoats' camp: Denison is a private university). And we absolutely get to decide who can see our rehearsals. (For that matter, at performances, we've made plenty of audience members delete photos from their cameras or phones.)

The fact that you do something ilegal ( banning people from facilities you do not own ) does not mean that you could do so if challenged by someone that owns the facilities and decides to ban you from banning others. Lots of things are done in this country that is allowed to take place becuse it is not legally challenged by others.

The Troopers Corps Director was interviewed a few days ago on DCI's Podcast by Acheson ( still on the iDCI front page site ) and the Troopers Corps Director mentioned how at his non Wyoming preseason practice facilities, the Troopers usually have the Mayor, his Family, the City Council, etc of that community come out, and sit in their lawn chairs to watch the Corps practice. Both the local citizens and the Troopers enjoy have each available at their practices. Also, most Corps during their stay in these communities, put on a free concert for the locals, before leaving on tour. This is much appreciated by all, from all reports The fact that a couple of misguided DCP'ers think that Corps might attempt to close these public facilities to the public, because somebody took pictures, ( or taped practice ) is silly, imo... Not only would such measures if adopted be a public relations disaster in these communities for Corps, it most likely would not stand a legal challenge. DCI Corps have a terrific relationship in most of these communities ( G. Hopkins in some parts of the South, notwithstanding ). It would be foolish to decide to PO a Mayor, City Council, local lawn chair sitters, etc because somebody had the temerity and bad judgement to take pics of a Corps props or some such at a practice, less than 2 weeks before its revealed to the public at large.

Edited by BRASSO

I know corps have closed rehearsals but it's not often.

I wonder how many kids got hooked on the activity because they were able to watch a rehearsal - or who's parents enjoyed themselves and went to a local show because of the experience.

I would love to watch a corps rehearse and if they asked that no photos/videos get posted I would comply.

Edited by Lincoln

Just because I pay school taxes doesn't mean I can waltz into the local high school band hall and watch them rehearse whenever I want to.

Not so fast. if the practice was after customary school class hours ( in this case,, drum corps on summer tour in public outdoor stadiums ), it just might take a judge's court order to do so, but you are just kidding yourself ( and perhaps a few unknowing others here), if you believe that the public can be denied access to public outdoor stadiums because a rented occupant ( a Drum Corps ) might decide to take the ridiculous, draconian step to deny the local citizenry public access to an outdoor public stadium when a Corps is practicing on that field. Heck most of these outdoor stadiums have tracks, basketball courts, tennis courts, etc right there in visible sight of that practice site... and within easy range of a camera too. It is ludicrous and silly to think a DCI Corps could ban people from outdoor public stadiums at their tour practices, or that this " banning of the public " would somehow prevent somebody from taking pics of practices if they chose too. Not only would this be bad public policy, it more than likely would be considered illegal too.We already know for certain, that DCI was selling a product for several( years (FN ) that lawyers told us recently a portion of which was not legal under the Copyright Laws of this Country. So just because DCI might decide to do something ( ban the public at practices ) does not mean that they could legally do so here as well. But the bottom line is, no Corps is going to be stupid or silly enough to consider banning the public at their outdoor practice facilities. As a poster correctly assessed above... what are they going to do.. hire bouncers( and then court injunction lawyers ) ? ( lol!)

Edited by BRASSO

The fact that you do something ilegal ( banning people from facilities you do not own ) does not mean that you could do so if challenged by someone that owns the facilities and decides to ban you from banning others. Lots of things are done in this country that is allowed to take place becuse it is not legally challenged by others.

The Troopers Corps Director was interviewed a few days ago on DCI's Podcast by Acheson ( still on the iDCI front page site ) and the Troopers Corps Director mentioned how at his non Wyoming preseason practice facilities, the Troopers usually have the Mayor, his Family, the City Council, etc of that community come out, and sit in their lawn chairs to watch the Corps practice. Both the local citizens and the Troopers enjoy have each available at their practices. Also, most Corps during their stay in these communities, put on a free concert for the locals, before leaving on tour. This is much appreciated by all, from all reports The fact that a couple of misguided DCP'ers think that Corps might about to closed these public facilities to the public, because somebody took pictures, ( or taped practice ) is silly, imo... notg only would such measures if adopted be a public relations disaster in these communities, it most likely would not stand a legal challenge. DCI Corps have a terrific relationship in most of these communities ( G. Hopkins in some parts of the South, notwithstanding ). It would be foolish to decide to PO a Mayor, City Council, local lawn chair sitters, etc because somebody had the temerity and bad judgement to take pics of a Corps props or some such at a practice, less than 2 weeks before its revealed to the public at large.

I am presuming that you are not a lawyer; if you were you would not be making statements such as you are.

When a corps rents a stadium, when DCI rents a stadium, the corps becomes similar to the person who rents an apartment. Even a landlord cannot enter a rented apartment without prior notice and agreement in most jurisdictions.

The DCI podcast is done by Mr. Dan Potter, not Mr. Dan Acheson, DCI CEO. Don't let self-righteousness get in the way of fact checking and honest disagreement.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 3