93 Star vs. 95 Madison

55 members have voted

1. 1. Which show do you prefer?

• 93 Star
    • 95 Madison

One would think that a person might evolve,grow, expand and even change their minds in 22 years. Then again maybe not. BUT! youhre right many did not care for Star in 93

That's a fair critique. I think the answer here is that I think I enjoy my drum corps on a much simpler level. I have enough complications in my life, so it's a release for me, and I guess that's the way I keep it. I don't overthink it - not so say those who prefer Star do.... just trying to explain how I approach it. I know how I reacted, how it made me feel, when I saw those shows live. I keep it on the "how does it hit me in the gut" level, not how I analyze it between the ears. So....for me, the choice is simple in both these polls - '88 and '95 Scouts were two of the best I've seen. The passage of time hasn't changed that, nor have I been influenced by the analysis I read here about how "important" that Star show was. One person's important is another persons boring I guess. I also understand that there a people who never cared for those Madison shows.

That's a fair critique. I think the answer here is that I think I enjoy my drum corps on a much simpler level. I have enough complications in my life, so it's a release for me, and I guess that's the way I keep it. I don't overthink it - not so say those who prefer Star do.... just trying to explain how I approach it. I know how I reacted, how it made me feel, when I saw those shows live. I keep it on the "how does it hit me in the gut" level, not how I analyze it between the ears. So....for me, the choice is simple in both these polls - '88 and '95 Scouts were two of the best I've seen. The passage of time hasn't changed that, nor have I been influenced by the analysis I read here about how "important" that Star show was. One person's important is another persons boring I guess. I also understand that there a people who never cared for those Madison shows.

I totally get what you are saying and although I am very much into today's programming etc etc I still get a chill watching many of the older shows and as you said the simplicity. It also reminds me of a much more simple time ( or we thought because we were much younger ) So, yes I do get it and respect your opinion. as well as your personal assement of these programs

I can't think of a show in which the members seem more totally committed than Star 93 - based on the video at least. And for a DCI top 12 drum corps, that's saying a lot.

There was always a sense with the Mickey Money corps that the members were some kind of robots. They always seemed perfect, with big happy smiles, as if it were easy for them. As if Bill Cook had purchased them from the Tyrell Corporation* . They didn't have buses, they had extra equipment trucks in which the members were powered down and stacked neatly in their felt-lined cases.

But in 93 they were so obviously committed to the program and pushing so hard - right on the edge the whole time.

And the fact that the fans didn't care for it at the time is part of the mystique; Cult favorites by definition start small and win over more followers.

* Blade Runner reference, anyone?

Edited by Pete Freedman

Pete,

I don't disagree but am perplexed. How does one look at a video and determine performer's commitment/motivation?

I agree that their excellence in spite of the lack of positive crowd reaction (as compared to other corps' performances) speaks highly of the commitment.

Was the commitment of '14 Boston Crusaders any less? How would one know?

I can't think of a show in which the members seem more totally committed than Star 93 - based on the video at least. And for a DCI top 12 drum corps, that's saying a lot.

There was always a sense with the Mickey Money corps that the members were some kind of robots. They always seemed perfect, with big happy smiles, as if it were easy for them. As if Bill Cook had purchased them from the Tyrell Corporation* . They didn't have buses, they had extra equipment trucks in which the members were powered down and stacked neatly in their felt-lined cases.

But in 93 they were so obviously committed to the program and pushing so hard - right on the edge the whole time.

And the fact that the fans didn't care for it at the time is part of the mystique; Cult favorites by definition start small and win over more followers.

* Blade Runner reference, anyone?

Star, like the Nexus 6 replicants, even apparently had a short lifespan, and to quote Tyrell "the light (star) that burns twice as bright burns half as long"

• Like 1

Someone could make a poll of Star '93 vs. any Madison Scouts show ever fielded and I would vote Star '93 every single time.

I would vote Madison 1975, 1981, 1988, & 1995 over Star '93 every time.

• Like 3

deja vous all over again

Pardon me for the correction, but it's actually "Déjà vu." It literally translates to "already seen."

Pardon me for the correction, but it's actually "Déjà vu." It literally translates to "already seen."

Oh Christ on a ####### pogo stick
  • Like 1