Indiana's New Law

And in that "other sport" world.... NCAA looking into their options after the current contracts run out..

"other sport" = non-Drum Corps LOL....

• Like 2

I looked up the law and for the guy who asked what it is, it means businesses can legally discriminate against, say, LGBT folks based on religious beliefs. I can totally understand why LGBT would be reticent to show up to Indy if they think they might be refused service in restaurants or hotels.

Now one knows how a person who chooses to use tobacco products feels...............and smokers are fortunate enough to even be taxed on the "legal" products they use and are discriminated for using......................

What it actually does is codifies that refusing to provide service on religious grounds is not discrimination.

The irony of your two paragraphs is not lost on me. Maybe the correct answer is to tax being LGBT and make them stand outside in the rain with the smokers.

(Lighten up, Frances, I'm kidding to make the point.)

Edited by garfield

Do you think DCI will make any kind of formal protest or statement about their states new "religious freedom" law?

Who knows- but there's no reason fans can't by boycotting finals, bringing signs, etc.

Before this gets closed again, I'd like to encourage people who are still considering going to finals to take a look at this site. Some good people in Indiana just recently started this campaign for supportive businesses to identify themselves and make themselves known that their doors are open to all customers despite the new law. I'll be going to Indy this August and I plan on relying on this to put my money where my mouth is.

http://www.openforservice.org/

• Like 1

It's simply an issue of mind over matter...

What we choose not to mind in faux governmental power, doesn't matter.

(And PLEASE Mods...don't close this thread over what some may view as my senseless contribution...for if it is not senseless, and indeed has value, then it is totally applicable to the issue -- both for society as a whole, and possibly the Drum Corps World at the least. And if it is indeed senseless...then it should bear no weight in the thread's existence. Either way, I feel that the issue is germain and pertinent to the more worldly matter at hand.)

Edited by HornTeacher

Now one knows how a person who chooses to use tobacco products feels...............and smokers are fortunate enough to even be taxed on the "legal" products they use and are discriminated for using......................

Your analogy isn't applicable. A person smoking in public is infringing on the rights of the non-smokers who are forced to breathe the toxins that they are spreading putting their health and well being at risk. I fully support the rights of anyone to do whatever they want in private - like kill themselves slowly with tobacco. But they do not have the right to inflict their toxic wastes on me or my family in public.

• Like 4

(Inappropriate comment removed)

You missed my point entirely.

The point is that smoking in public is a hazard that threatens the health and well being of the public and for this reason laws that "discriminate" against smokers are acceptable and arguably desirable for public safety. This makes the previous post comparing the new law to anti-smoking laws a poor comparison for exactly the reason you mention. In case I didn't make myself clear, I agree with your point - if not the personal attack.

And I will refrain from hurling a personal insult back at you. So far this debate has remained civil and should remain so.

Edited by JohnZ
Inappropriate comment removed

And in that "other sport" world.... NCAA looking into their options after the current contracts run out..

"other sport" = non-Drum Corps LOL....

Having read the full statement that the CEO of NCAA gave to the public today, there is a lot of wiggle room in what he said.

I liked how he put it more into the positive that NCAA will work to insure and assure that all are respected as persons, including gay students. (my synthesis, not an exact quote.)

When parts of my family lived in Indy in the '70's I became party to how much free money Indy gave so many youth organizations to locate there. DCI, BOA, NCAA and many sports and fraternities/sororities were among them eventually. Those organizations will not shun those contributions and perks lightly...or at least until another city ponies up with something at least equal. The long term result of attracting these organizations was that Indianapolis became quite the convention city beyond just hosting the American Legion National HQ. Now it is considered an expensive city for convention goers considering airfares, housing at hotels/motels, and food, especially restaurants. It is comparable to what DCI fans paid in Denver but much more expensive than Madison if my wallet is any indicator.

I am wondering if any boycott of (especially) Indianapolis will actually be a reality check to bring prices down, thus making the DCI championships more affordable. I know some have posted on DCP that costs are a major reason why they do not attend major contests. If hotel rooms and restaurants are empty, if air plane seats are not filled, prices usually come down. Then Indy becomes more, not less attractive to DCI fans.

It's worth a look.

Edited by xandandl

Your analogy isn't applicable. A person smoking in public is infringing on the rights of the non-smokers who are forced to breathe the toxins that they are spreading putting their health and well being at risk. I fully support the rights of anyone to do whatever they want in private - like kill themselves slowly with tobacco. But they do not have the right to inflict their toxic wastes on me or my family in public.

I agree.

I have always said "your right to smoke ends at the end of my nose."

Don't care if you want to stuff yourself in a coffin and smoke. Go ahead. Do it. But my nose and my lungs are MY property. NOT yours.

What I have never understood is that a smoker will get all offended if I sneeze or cough without covering my mouth. But does not seem to give to ##### or a giggle if they blow smoke from their lungs in my direction. There is no difference and they are doing it in volume.

Mods: You have shown exceptional tolerance (see what I did there?) by allowing this thread to run.

Thank you.

probably has something to do with none of us being online...until NOW!!!

Please - HERE'S THE DEAL, FOLKS:

We are always obligated to follow the Community Guidelines, but from time to time a current event, religious and/or political topic do rises to a level of importance and impact that we should and do allow some leniency - we and the owner of the site believe this is one of those situations.

^^ As long as the discussion remains civil and on point, this thread will remain open

**No other spinoff threads will be permitted..talk about this topic here.

**At some point, we will close this thread once the fire burns down and everyone has had a chance to have their say.

**I need to pour a stiff drink and start reading from the beginning, but ANY posts that are not civil or are relevant will be removed, and I'll deal with the offending posts/posters appropriately.

**I already have to deal with some questionable messaging between several people here - please read the Guidelines. inappropriate or harassing messaging is verboten too, capische?

**PLEASE do your part to keep on topic, and report any questionable contributions to the moderating team.

Keeping the thread going is all up to you. Thanks for your help to do that.

z