Indiana's New Law

DCI's full statement in response to the new law:

Drum Corps International and our participating organizations remain committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for every one of the thousands of diverse student participants, volunteers, staff members and fans taking part in the more than 100 events we stage annually throughout the United States of America.

We recognize that recent legislation in our home state (as well as proposed and existing legislation in many other states) may be perceived as having a potential impact on the positive experience of our young performers, employees and passionate supporters.

We will continue to work with our Indianapolis partners as well as those in Michigan City, Muncie, Evansville and Ft. Wayne to ensure that we fulfill our goal of providing a safe and appropriate environment which supports and celebrates the pursuit of excellence at each of the events we produce in Indiana.

We will also work diligently as an association to understand any and all implications of the new laws brought forth by the passing of this and other legislation and the potential effects they will have on our operations and people, at home and across the country.

This is a good response, in my opinion, as it shows that they're aware of the issue both on a local and a national basis. It would have been to hear them encourage fans to continue attending the Indiana events rather than consider boycotting, but overall, a pretty positive response.

• Like 1

Edited by JohnZ
off topic

DCI's full statement in response to the new law:

Drum Corps International and our participating organizations remain committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for every one of the thousands of diverse student participants, volunteers, staff members and fans taking part in the more than 100 events we stage annually throughout the United States of America.

We recognize that recent legislation in our home state (as well as proposed and existing legislation in many other states) may be perceived as having a potential impact on the positive experience of our young performers, employees and passionate supporters.

We will continue to work with our Indianapolis partners as well as those in Michigan City, Muncie, Evansville and Ft. Wayne to ensure that we fulfill our goal of providing a safe and appropriate environment which supports and celebrates the pursuit of excellence at each of the events we produce in Indiana.

We will also work diligently as an association to understand any and all implications of the new laws brought forth by the passing of this and other legislation and the potential effects they will have on our operations and people, at home and across the country.

This is a good response, in my opinion, as it shows that they're aware of the issue both on a local and a national basis. It would have been to hear them encourage fans to continue attending the Indiana events rather than consider boycotting, but overall, a pretty positive response.

Of course they will encourage people to attend rather than boycott. Power of the purse.

They actually had no other choice than to respond they way they did. NOW, in many facets, we need to see whos words actually mean something.

I appreciate your position, but describing what the actual law does and allows as "paper-pusher" talk is disingenuous.

This law is not directed at the LGBT community (as many have already pointed out it's genesis is directed at Amish, American Indians...). This law is directed at those whose religious beliefs are harmed by governmental action. Nothing more.

I'm not convinced that the law was passed now because the Indiana legislature suddenly became concerned that the Amish were being forced to accept blood transfusions and Native Americans weren't being allowed to use peyote. Some of the law's advocates have been much less circumspect about its motivations than the governor has been.

In almost all cases, state laws actually trump the Federal law and, by precedent therefore, local law could trump the state law.

Can any lawyers weigh in here? State law certainly can override federal law, and vice versa, depending on which powers the U.S. Constitution grants to each--in fact, one reason that 20 states have passed such laws is that the Supreme Court had ruled that the federal version didn't apply to the states--but I don't believe that local laws can supersede state laws, unless the state's own constitution says so.

On another note, I see that one of the law's most prominent opponents is a drum corps alum.

**I need to pour a stiff drink and start reading from the beginning, but ANY posts that are not civil or are relevant will be removed, and I'll deal with the offending posts/posters appropriately.

z

:beer: Here ya go.

Mods: You have shown exceptional tolerance (see what I did there?) by allowing this thread to run.

Thank you.

Indeed, they have...Unlike those on that other site, Drumx Corpz Planett, who decided that allowing this argument to continue went against their religious beliefs, so they booted out select participants. Legally. See what I did there?

(That was a poor attempt at humor, NOT meant to be anything resembling an accurate analogy. I'll be the first to admit it's not, so don't even bother telling me.)

Edited by troon8

Can any lawyers weigh in here? State law certainly can override federal law, and vice versa, depending on which powers the U.S. Constitution grants to each--in fact, one reason that 20 states have passed such laws is that the Supreme Court had ruled that the federal version didn't apply to the states--but I don't believe that local laws can supersede state laws, unless the state's own constitution says so.

That was something I read as well today when I was trying to understand the new legislation.

My non-lawyer understanding of how these things work is that states have the right to make any laws that they see fit as long as they are not unconstitutional with the exception of any issues that are specifically assigned to federal authority.