Blue Devils 2015 - "Ink"

Pretentious? I don't think so. They're not lying about being DCI's most honored drum corps. They're certainly not acting more talented than they really are. Words I'd use to describe it......professional. Well put together. Well thought out. Clear in its purpose and intent. Informative. Did I say professional? I don't know, to each their own. But pretentious isn't what I thought when I read it. Sounds like an announcement should sound to me.

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 2

http://bluedevils.org/programs/a/2015/repertoire.php

2015-ink-350x392.jpg

The spark of a thought ignites the imagination. It travels the interstate of synapses from the brain down the arm and into the hand. The hand grasps the pen and dips it in the liquid and moves from well to paper. Here the liquid drops onto the waiting space. The droplet begins to take the shape of a single letter. The letter is joined by another and another and begins to form a word. The word is linked and connected to more words. A sentence is born. More sentences emerge and join together. They become paragraph after paragraph. A story begins to dance on the pages.

"When I examine myself and my methods of thought, I come to the conclusion that the gift of fantasy has meant more to me than any talent for abstract, positive thinking."

– ALBERT EINSTEIN

From the elegant quill to the rhythmic cadence of the typewriter, characters leap from the pages of beloved stories in the 2015 Blue Devils production ofInk.

Ink travels from paper to pattern and brings music and magic into an exhilarating existence of drum and bugle corps passion. From the legendary Stephen Sondheim to Grammy award winner Gordon Goodwin, the Blue Devils traverse the musical terrain of endless possibilities. Through graceful composition the palate of discovery brings choreography and form into stunning realism and design becomes a living, breathing experience.

Ink brings together the talents and skills of unique performers from around the world to continue the award winning tradition of DCI's most honored drum and bugle corps. The 2015 Blue Devils travel the United States with their unique brand of excellence and imagination as Ink composes an exciting new story of music and motion.

Chapters Include

• Dark Forest (Dave Glyde)
  • Sweeney Todd (Stephen Sondheim)
  • The Giant Attack (Stephen Sondheim)
  • The Mad Hatter's Tea Party (Gordon Goodwin)
  • I Like You (GOT7)
  • Children Will Listen (Stephen Sondheim)
  • Last Midnight (Stephen Sondheim)

So, there is a debbie downer in every crowd and for this moment in time it is me in regards to the BD A corps show choice.

So BD has the most dci titles and the highest recorded score. Shouldn't they be taking some big risks with their programming? Like completely departing from previous formula's? From what I have been reading, this show seems similar in it's approach to past show offerings.

So the show annoucement is approx 283 words long. A bit much....no? And lots of 'Sparks' in Ca...whats up? Spark from BD, Spark of Invention from SCV...what's happening out there?

I would love for the day to come where corps staffs are 'Not' allowed to talk to the judges about their show design. Would be really interesting to see how many ideas from the show the staffs/arrangers put together would actually be understood by the judging community if there were no discussions about the show design.

# Note I could end up loving this show who knows....and I truly hope I do...but as of this moment I am expecting an 'Overly Artsy Fartsy' (Thanks Marc Slyvester for that) from the concord ca crew.

Arstly fartsy and BD should never cross paths.....never. just my opinion...I am sure you have yours :)

Edited by Triple Forte

So, there is a debbie downer in every crowd and for this moment in time it is me in regards to the BD A corps show choice.

So BD has the most dci titles and the highest recorded score. Shouldn't they be taking some big risks with their programming? Like completely departing from previous formula's? From what I have been reading, this show seems similar in it's approach to past show offerings.

So the show annoucement is approx 283 words long. A bit much....no? And lots of 'Sparks' in Ca...whats up? Spark from BD, Spark of Invention from SCV...what's happening out there?

I would love for the day to come where corps staffs are 'Not' allowed to talk to the judges about their show design. Would be really interesting to see how many ideas from the show the staffs/arrangers put together would actually be understood by the judging community if there were no discussions about the show design.

# Note I could end up loving this show who knows....and I truly hope I do...but as of this moment I am expecting an 'Overly Artsy Fartsy' (Thanks Marc Slyvester for that) from the concord ca crew.

Arstly fartsy and BD should never cross paths.....never. just my opinion...I am sure you have yours :)

They haven't won all those titles without knowing what they are doing. Wait until you have seen them a couple of times instead of sounding like there show will be lousy six or seven weeks before their first show.

Are you implying that using "artsy" music (whatever the heck that even means) makes their shows repetitive/not innovative? Whenever they grab onto a theme, they go very in depth into it, and that's something I appreciate about BD. They're being innovators every year. Would you seriously say Re:rite of Spring is anything close to this?

Knowing BD, they've had this show idea in their heads for a while. I think it's purely coincidence SCV and BD are using similar terminology.

Not sure where this is coming from. Am I missing something? Since when do corp directors sit down with judges and give powerpoint presentations on their shows?

I respectfully disagree :) But I know the modern BD is not everyone's cup of tea. But I'm glad you're willing to give the show a chance!

Sorry about the rainbow, it was the easiest way to address your response line by line :)

Edited by Cappybara

risky title

m

Odd statement. Besides BDS are known for pushing the limits, thank goodness!

Edited by Pes49

Christ, can the announcement be any more pretentious?

You're funny

So BD has the most dci titles and the highest recorded score. Shouldn't they be taking some big risks with their programming?

Typically when BD "takes risks" the majority of DCP ends up #####ing and moaning about how they long for the days when Blue Devils would just do jazz.

I wasn't initially a fan of their current design trends, but they've converted me with their past few shows, starting with Cabaret Voltaire. They may never get me to throw babies at them, but there hasn't been a more sophisticated corps on the field in years.

• Like 3

Sorry, But I think some of you took my post for BD hatred. It is not. My thoughts were more towards the first paragraph of the announcement, which in my opinion is pretentious. The show itself and the music do interest me. Not every negative comment is born out of hate. We can disagree.

Are you implying that using "artsy" music (whatever the heck that even means) makes their shows repetitive/not innovative? Whenever they grab onto a theme, they go very in depth into it, and that's something I appreciate about BD. They're being innovators every year. Would you seriously say Re:rite of Spring is anything close to this?

Knowing BD, they've had this show idea in their heads for a while. I think it's purely coincidence SCV and BD are using similar terminology.

Not sure where this is coming from. Am I missing something? Since when do corp directors sit down with judges and give powerpoint presentations on their shows?

I respectfully disagree :) But I know the modern BD is not everyone's cup of tea. But I'm glad you're willing to give the show a chance!

Sorry about the rainbow, it was the easiest way to address your response line by line :)

Yellow on white is very hard to read for us old timers. ("If it ain't seen in the box, is it worth doing on the field?")

Just as bad as all those designers at Hallmark splattering silver against pink, gold against pink, gold against silver, and other vagueries when one tries as a senior citizen to buy a Mother's Day card (she'll be 92) or birthday for all us struggling with the bifocals and progressives. At least you didn't add sparkles and glitter like those Hallmarkers and guardsters.

Edited by xandandl

I appreciate you following ROYGBIV

• Like 2