2014 Use of Electronics

new brass toys??????

Trombones, euphoniums, French horns

• Like 1

actually even as musicians, everything is about what the box hears, not the 25

You are correct. Even Mozart knew where the expensive seats were.

Still, the house engineer and (especially) the concert promoter have a vested interest in maximizing (as in, making the best of) the sonic experience for those unwashed patrons in the cheap seats. Without those folks, there would be no shows for the musicians to play.

• Like 1

A century ago, one of the arguments against automobiles was they scared the horses. In the end, it didn't matter that the horses were scared because we weren't going to ride them into the future.

So by analogy, synths drowning out brass will not matter in the end when we stop using brass?

• Like 2

I completely agree. In any professional sound reinforcement situation, the house mix should be maximized for every seat. In this regard, drum corps and marching bands are still performing at an amateur level.

We hold them to a much higher standard as instrumentalists. That is not yet matched in the use of either amplification or electronic sounds. It may never be, given the time restrictions of competition, which preclude any meaningful sound checks.

Still, the situation can be dramatically improved if there is incentive to do so. If the quality of experience delivered to the audience is insufficient motivation, impact on scores may very well provide that.

Why is impact on scores not already providing that?

You are correct. Even Mozart knew where the expensive seats were.

Still, the house engineer and (especially) the concert promoter have a vested interest in maximizing (as in, making the best of) the sonic experience for those unwashed patrons in the cheap seats. Without those folks, there would be no shows for the musicians to play.

In a different post you said that scores might be the motivating factor to force change. But I think this post is closer to the point.

If DCI's revenues begin to decline because the only show "experience" presented by the corps is only to be had between the 40's, that's when the situation will improve for the "unwashed masses" (who still pay substantial cost to "experience" the event even outside the 40's).

Scores are fungible and determined over drinks at the Janual. Money trumps every other decision.

IMO, of course.

But on the flip side of that, there was also ALWAYS drastic difference depending on where one sits in a stadium. If I get a seat outside the 25's, there are going to be weird phasing phrases when the corps is spread, volume issues, funky balance issues depending on corps drill staging, etc. Drum corps has NEVER been about 100% best sound from ever seat/area in the stadium and it would be impossible to achieve that

Before your time, corps used to parade all around the field in compact formations, facing in the direction they were marching. There has not "always" been a drastic difference in sound depending on where you sit (even in the back stands).

That aside, I do not hear anyone claiming that every seat in the house should get 100% best sound. It is correct to acknowledge that the activity plays to a "concert side" now, and that goal line seats will never be equivalent to 50 yard line seats. But for the people sitting outside of the 40s, the old adage applies - "ignore them, and they will go away".

When shows started on one goal line and ended at the other, corps played to all the seats between the goal lines at some point. When that was done away with, corps developed spread formations which provided nearly the same attention to the seating area. That same attention is generally absent from A&E implementation. Speakers, like the pit performers they amplify, rarely move, and their sounds can only be properly heard between the 40s.

Unless this activity can fund itself on selling just the seats between the 40s, something needs to be adjusted.

Before your time, corps used to parade all around the field in compact formations, facing in the direction they were marching. There has not "always" been a drastic difference in sound depending on where you sit (even in the back stands).

That aside, I do not hear anyone claiming that every seat in the house should get 100% best sound. It is correct to acknowledge that the activity plays to a "concert side" now, and that goal line seats will never be equivalent to 50 yard line seats. But for the people sitting outside of the 40s, the old adage applies - "ignore them, and they will go away".

When shows started on one goal line and ended at the other, corps played to all the seats between the goal lines at some point. When that was done away with, corps developed spread formations which provided nearly the same attention to the seating area. That same attention is generally absent from A&E implementation. Speakers, like the pit performers they amplify, rarely move, and their sounds can only be properly heard between the 40s.

Unless this activity can fund itself on selling just the seats between the 40s, something needs to be adjusted.

Agreed, BITD you knew if you say past the 35 or so you would not get the full effect of the music and drill. But if you had gone to a show before you knew what you were getting into.... Also if you were more interested in drill you sat high, it more into the music you sat low generally.

For the sound, the further from the 50 you sat you got less of the music but you still got to hear what was going on. Will let people who have seen A&E more than me finish that comparision......

Despite all the hyperbole most of what comes from the speakers is still the pit. Why do folks want that sound to be goal-line to goal-line?

Drum corps and marching bands have been "playing to the box" for an awfuly long time. A&E didn't introduce this concept.

If you believed what some people write on here , people sitting outside the 40 can't hear anything at all. In fact I think corps are using MORE of the field WHILE PLAYING than ever before.

Evidence, you say?

Here it is, say I :

Edited by corpsband

If you believed what some people write on here , people sitting outside the 40 can't hear anything at all. In fact I think corps are using MORE of the field WHILE PLAYING than ever before.

Where did anyone say that you can't hearing the marching part of the corps outside the 40? Playing to the judges yes but not can't hear it...

Not starting a fight, I must have missed it...