2014 Use of Electronics

We viewed multiple live shows.....Chester, Allentown, all 3 nights of Indy; and We have the Blu-ray finals for comparison. Several FF chords for Cadets featured too much synth bass for proper balance, including opening tutti, and end of Simple Gifts for two examples. We viewed live from about half way up typically......same issue at rehearsals we viewed (my son was in snare line). For Coats, the huge pitch bend and following climax were, IMHO, lessened by the sampled brass.....seemed to degrade intonation, blend and balance.

rehearsals are missing 1000's of sound-absorbing waterbags sitting on the bleachers. you can't really gauge A&E balance there.

The point to me is that since there have been field drills it has always been that way...that shows have always been designed to be best seen and heard from the press box vicinity.

I agree. Lower sitting fans in stadiums have no voice in the scores... neither do fans sitting anywhere for that matter. The Corps are judged in competition wholly and completely by their appeal to the small handful of fans of the activity that sit high up in the press box... the " Judges on High ". As such, since the very beginning, Corps in DCI design their drills, music, brass playing, drums playing, Guard work, etc to the handful sitting together upstairs. Even in the 70's, brass lines were pointing their horns, and arching them high, up to the box. Its always been this way, and frankly its probably not ever going to change.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

1) interesting about Cadets: thanks for clarification. Out of curiosity are the balance issues better/worse/same live vs Blu-ray? I honestly haven't watched that show since Finals week on FN so I don't remember

2) I def. remember the Bluecoats thing you reference and I kinda agree with you. It didn't really bother me, or seem too egregious, but I do remember the brass-synth-brass timbres on FN seeming a little jarring. Granted, I can't imagine what they could've done better and it didn't bother me much. But it did take me out of the moment a little bit, in the same way a cheesy CGI show takes me out of the moment of a good movie scene.

Do any of your issues with these corps/phrases (or others) change when seeing the blu-rays?

* EDIT *

also, thanks for the clarification! I've unfortunately not gone to a local show in quite awhile, so it's fascinating to hear tales from folks in the stands, especially ones as specific as yours. Thanks for sharing

Balance is more consistent via Blu-ray.......Lucas Oil echo chamber is minimized......for lasting enjoyment of the Indy experience, I highly recommend the Blu-ray option......it also transcodes very well to formats to view on iPad, etc. Coats had such a fine brass line that it was a shame to have it augmented, except for the 'bend' sequence alone. Both Coats and Cadets were excellent in controlled soft legato passages, by the way.

rehearsals are missing 1000's of sound-absorbing waterbags sitting on the bleachers. you can't really gauge A&E balance there.

It was obvious when the bass synth was over the top in rehearsal. Wife and I looked at each other and hoped Gino and team would staunch that effect.

In a different post you said that scores might be the motivating factor to force change. But I think this post is closer to the point.

If DCI's revenues begin to decline because the only show "experience" presented by the corps is only to be had between the 40's, that's when the situation will improve for the "unwashed masses" (who still pay substantial cost to "experience" the event even outside the 40's).

Scores are fungible and determined over drinks at the Janual. Money trumps every other decision.

IMO, of course.

At some point it will be a better musical experience via the streaming than live, at least for the majority of the fans. And at that point DCI can move to a small stadium (Michigan City has the best small stadium on the tour. But that is a different discussion) that has cameras & mikes in all the right places. Why pay for an NFL stadium when for the majority of the fans you get a better experience in your living room?

This is my prognostication - your mileage may vary.

I think you mean "ugly bags of mostly water" :satisfied:

• Like 2

It was obvious when the bass synth was over the top in rehearsal. Wife and I looked at each other and hoped Gino and team would staunch that effect.

You might think that something was obvious in rehearsal, but as someone who has been a part of plenty of stadium rehearsals in the very stadium we would perform in that night, the bodies in the seats change the game entirely, and in ways you may or may not be able to predict.

• Like 2