2014 Use of Electronics

Do I really have to explain this to you?

I said "sounds can only be properly heard between the 40s", meaning that as you move outward, balance, clarity and frequency response will gradually deteriorate. Vocals do not completely disappear at the 39s, as you like to mischaracterize. Between the 40s and 35s, you should still be able to understand the words, but the quality of A&E sound is not as good. Outside the 35s, the sound has deteriorated enough to where people cannot make out the words of singing or speech for most corps. Naturally, your specific experience may vary slightly due to other variables such as how high/low you are sitting, slope of the bleachers, venue acoustics, and speaker positioning.

This is no secret. Of the 46 corps who competed in DCI shows last year, only four employed outer speakers at or near the 20 yard lines. That is less than 10%.

Now, if your "aha!" moment will be pointing to some corps whose 35 yard line speakers were really at the 34s, knock yourself out.

The "always better between the 40s" mantra is a gross oversimplification. Saying A&E is no different is just plain wrong.

Back before your time, when a field show was not much different from a parade confined to a football field, the relative value of outer seating (and even the back stands) was much closer to that of the concert side center section. Many years later (i.e. the 1960s), shows still played from one goal line to the other; horns were angled horizontally and only in the direction they were moving; drums had no directional projectors; there was no front ensemble. Much of the directional evolution was introduced in the 1970s (no more goal line starts/exits; angling horns upward and inward to the "box"; projectors on drums; stationary percussion). But at that same time, drill formations were expanded and intervals widened. The expanded field coverage compensated in part for the other changes such that fans in the intermediate seating sections could still get bathed in sound.

A&E, as implemented in DCI, is inherently more narrow in directional focus than the acoustic components of the corps. It uses speakers, which are directional in projection and frequency response. Those speakers are stationary during the performance. The overwhelming majority of speaker deployments are aimed at the press box, positioned at or within the 35s, and up closer to the stands than other sound sources - all factors which work against providing sound to what we now call the "cheap seats". Do you really see no distinctions there?

even in the old days, where was concert positioned for?

between the 40's

I felt trombones did less to enhance shows.

I disagree, but more importantly: trombones in 2014 did less to detract from shows than synthesizer did in 2009.

• Like 1

I disagree, but more importantly: trombones in 2014 did less to detract from shows than synthesizer did in 2009.

I honestly don't recall anything egregious from synths in 2009. I'd also agree with Jeff that electronics did significantly more to enhance programs in 2014 than trombones (note: I liked the SCV stuff, as well as the Madison stuff)

Do I really have to explain this to you?

I said "sounds can only be properly heard between the 40s", meaning that as you move outward, balance, clarity and frequency response will gradually deteriorate. Vocals do not completely disappear at the 39s, as you like to mischaracterize. Between the 40s and 35s, you should still be able to understand the words, but the quality of A&E sound is not as good. Outside the 35s, the sound has deteriorated enough to where people cannot make out the words of singing or speech for most corps. Naturally, your specific experience may vary slightly due to other variables such as how high/low you are sitting, slope of the bleachers, venue acoustics, and speaker positioning.

This is no secret. Of the 46 corps who competed in DCI shows last year, only four employed outer speakers at or near the 20 yard lines. That is less than 10%.

Now, if your "aha!" moment will be pointing to some corps whose 35 yard line speakers were really at the 34s, knock yourself out.

The "always better between the 40s" mantra is a gross oversimplification. Saying A&E is no different is just plain wrong.

Back before your time, when a field show was not much different from a parade confined to a football field, the relative value of outer seating (and even the back stands) was much closer to that of the concert side center section. Many years later (i.e. the 1960s), shows still played from one goal line to the other; horns were angled horizontally and only in the direction they were moving; drums had no directional projectors; there was no front ensemble. Much of the directional evolution was introduced in the 1970s (no more goal line starts/exits; angling horns upward and inward to the "box"; projectors on drums; stationary percussion). But at that same time, drill formations were expanded and intervals widened. The expanded field coverage compensated in part for the other changes such that fans in the intermediate seating sections could still get bathed in sound.

A&E, as implemented in DCI, is inherently more narrow in directional focus than the acoustic components of the corps. It uses speakers, which are directional in projection and frequency response. Those speakers are stationary during the performance. The overwhelming majority of speaker deployments are aimed at the press box, positioned at or within the 35s, and up closer to the stands than other sound sources - all factors which work against providing sound to what we now call the "cheap seats". Do you really see no distinctions there?

That's a pretty amazing post right there. Convincing in two things: as evidence of his position (which I happen to agree with) and 2. more proof of how old I am. I remember and grew up with the activity's changes starting in '73.

i started a thread about seating changes at Lucas Oil for the first contest and for prelims at championships.

How loud the electronics seem, how the speakers are staged, and other changes in perception for both music and drill make the discussion here also germane. The demands for a such a large stadium funneling the 10K (generous number) spectator into one set of bleachers are not the same as for finals with 20K on several decks high and away.

Though the threads are parallel, the discussions aren't mimics or identical. I'll read both.

. Many years later (i.e. the 1960s), shows still played from one goal line to the other; horns were angled horizontally and only in the direction they were moving; drums had no directional projectors; there was no front ensemble.

Shows were still designed to look and sound best from the same place they do today, the press box vicinity. Yes corps started in the endzone...but they booked across the field in the OTL to set up their drill to play to...the press box. Also back then, corps tended to place the sopranos on one side and the lower brass on the other, which greatly impacted the audience member experience for those sitting outside the 40's. Nothing like listennig to a group of baris playing eggs behind the melodic content of the sopranos way over on the other side of the field.

Horns facing just the direction they were moving exacerbated the sound issues even more, as when sitting on the 30 you might hear the third sopranos all of a sudden over the leads, as the drill movements caused horns to face in different directions.

Exits? Once the corps turned around after crossing the goal line and stretched out along the goal line to play their closing fanfare, if you were on the other side of the field from the exit side, the sound you heard was a lot less then those sitting in the prime area. People sitting on the finish line side, outside the 30's, would hear the horn players closest to them louder than the ones located more backfield along the goal line. The best blended sound of the closing fanfare? The press box area.

I honestly don't recall anything egregious from synths in 2009. I'd also agree with Jeff that electronics did significantly more to enhance programs in 2014 than trombones (note: I liked the SCV stuff, as well as the Madison stuff)

I hadn't been to a live drum corps show in some years when I attended the Massillon show with a friend (likewise out of touch) in 2009, and we didn't know the rules had been changed to permit electronics. We were both astounded and horrified by the awful synthesized bass that dominated the sound of so many corps there.

I think synth use was pretty awful in 2009. Either that, or DCI was still getting used to Lucas Oil/recording shows that used synth because the quality of the 2009 recordings are awful and unnecessarily bass heavy. I don't listen to any shows from 2009 because I can't really stand to listen to those recordings.