2014 Use of Electronics

IMO I don't recall any corps' specific use of electronics to be egregiously offensive to me: meaning, like with everything, some stuff I like, some I loved, some I didn't like. That's more, IMO, a design choice than anything else. From the FN stuff I watched I didn't really notice anything sticking outrageously out of the ensemble or too inappropriately loud.

I think, unquestionably, Cavaliers had the best use of amplification: no one else really accomplished what they did. The amount of logistical work involved with moving those marimbas around in several different areas of the field throughout the show is INSANE and every FN show I heard the electronic end of that was seamless and done correctly. I think that's something very few fans would know how much work was involved from the electronic EQ'ing side of that, and while I have quite a bit of experience teaching front ensembles and dealing with different aspects & circumstances of EQ'ing, I didn't even know all of the logistics involved until talking to an instructor about it. That was such an incredible challenge and they pulled it off amazingly

Agreed they did a phenomenal job with the marimbas.

We've come far with electronics in drumcorp. A few years ago this was a hated topic. Now we're discussing who did it the best.

It took a while for corps to learn how to do it properly and in a way that wasn't very intrusive. The poor Cadets are still trying to learn.

• Like 1

The questions to ask are:

1. Is everything in the mix audible at all times?

2. If not, why not?

3. What's to be done?

These are the issues addressed in professional live sound situations. Technology changes, but musical principles remain. Balance and blend continue to be sub-par for most corps as they attempt to integrate synthetic sound with acoustic instruments.

There are signs of improvement, however, as both designers and adjudicators become better informed.

• Like 1

Not being able to go to shows live anymore have to ask a question.

Where does one have to sit to get the full benefit of how amps are used? And where is it so-so and where fegedda 'bout hearing it.

Wondering because I caught a mid 2000s show and had to sit around the 10 years line because we were on first. Lets jus say if you could see the side of the amp you couldn't hear it.

Your best chance at hearing acceptable sound would be sitting in the GE judge's lap.

Or in the luxury box one deck below the judges at Lucas Oil, as that's where DCI set aside space for the corps' sound guys control the mix.

We've come far with electronics in drumcorp. A few years ago this was a hated topic. Now we're discussing who did it the best.

Thats because those who "hated electronics" are no longer around DCP ( or DCI ). And DCP has about a 5th of its audience still remaining on here as it did " a few years ago ". So yes.. as a result, we can detect a lot of mutual thinkalikes now on DCP re. the use of electronics in Drum Corps of late.... especially on this side of the DCP forum site.

Edited by BRASSO

Thats because those who "hated electronics" are no longer around DCP ( or DCI ). And DCP has about a 5th of its audience still remaining on here as it did " a few years ago ". So yes.. as a result, we can detect a lot of mutual thinkalikes now on DCP re. the use of electronics in Drum Corps of late.... especially on this side of the DCP forum site.

There may be some merit to this. We will likely find out shortly, when DCA launches it's first anything-goes season with electronics.

Since we've had electronics and amplification around for several years, let's discuss it's use in 2014 shows and how effective it was.

I figure we can catagorize it in the following uses:

Amplifying / Altering traditional DCI accoustic sounds (brass, battery, pic)

Amplifying / Altering live voice

Use of prerecorded voice

Use of prerecorded sound effects

Use of synthesized traditional non-DCI instruments (piano, guitar, organ)

Use of other traditional synth sounds (bass, synth strings)

Any other uses?

injecting artificial crowd response

subliminal messages / back masking