article on Sahlen Stadium

Why not Red Bull stadium in Harrison, NJ?

The plus side is you are close to Ferry St in Newark, where all those great Spanish and Portugese restaurants are located.

One downside, besides the natural grass issue...which in and of itself is a killer...Frank E Rodgers Blvd South is a tough road to maneuver around. There is I280 close by, but once you are dumped off the Turnpike and/or 280, driving is not easy. There is really no place to walk around and get a quick bite close by the stadium either...there isn't anywhere you would WANT to walk around, actually.There are also not facilities for I&E, mini-corps and/or alumni, unless you intend on using the stadium for everything.

Also, I don't recall seeing a lot in the way of practice facility opportunities in the vicinity of the stadium. I know Harrison is trying to upgrade itself, but it really isn't "there" yet.

Great stadium, yes.

Great area to have championships in, no.

Absolutely unequivocally NO.

*I can see the stadium from my office ~ trust me on this one please ~ I really know what I am speaking of*

Where are you working? A friend of mine owns a business in Harrison; I am in the area often.

One Gateway Center in Newark on the 25th floor. The east side of the building looks out and down on the stadium

I will offer a slight correction to your point of there is nothing to eat nearby the stadium. They have opened a bunch of shoppes at the end of their big lawns (or what should be lawns) down on Jackson. There is a 5 Guys and a bunch of other things there. And there is construction well under way of a huge 6 story building down there as well. Looks like the first floor would be retail and the 2-6 would be residential.

That said, there is no real place for warm ups even nearby with all the construction going on. I&E's would have to be inside the stadium. Hotels are very expensive and with school starting that following week, I am not sure what types of rehearsal locations you would be able to come up with, if at all. The schools that have 2 (or more) fields to rehearse on are rather scarce in this area from what I have seen.

There is a reason Rochester is hosting the DCA Championships again...............they won the bid, DCA makes tons of money in Rochester, and it is Drum Corps friendly, went to Allentown, Scranton, Philly, all great but can't hold a DCA event for many reasons. Suck it up, there are great restaurants, great venue for I and E, tons of hotels, probably will win again too!!! The stadium thing is just the people whining for upgrades and the city doesn't want to spend the money.......on soccer.....Rochester is notoriously cheap for its second class pro teams, took forever to get a baseball stadium, it will take a while to repair the soccer field.

There is a reason Rochester is hosting the DCA Championships again...............they won the bid, DCA makes tons of money in Rochester, and it is Drum Corps friendly, went to Allentown, Scranton, Philly, all great but can't hold a DCA event for many reasons. Suck it up, there are great restaurants, great venue for I and E, tons of hotels, probably will win again too!!! The stadium thing is just the people whining for upgrades and the city doesn't want to spend the money.......on soccer.....Rochester is notoriously cheap for its second class pro teams, took forever to get a baseball stadium, it will take a while to repair the soccer field.

agreed they won the bid. but what was paid attendance?

as we saw with multiple years in Allentown, Scranton, and even the 1st run in Rochester, so many years in one location tends to see attendance drop some.

• Like 1

And that's a bad thing?

It is, if your corps uses them as props or field markers in your show.

I am sorry but a broken elevator is far more serious than some whiny people - if they don't have a second one for customers to use there will be a far larger legal issue on their hands.

• Like 1

I am sorry but a broken elevator is far more serious than some whiny people - if they don't have a second one for customers to use there will be a far larger legal issue on their hands.

Yes! A fair proportion of the DCA audience needs those kinds of things to get up and into the stands. I'm certain x amount of the soccer fans also need assistance as well. Federal accessibility laws mandate it.