Fan Network 2015

I guess my question is..what happens if I'm not able to view shows "live". Will they be avalable like the next day? The site is rather confusing. I guess I may have to call and ask. But I wonder if anyone will be able to answer questions in person. Very frustrating.

I guess my question is..what happens if I'm not able to view shows "live". Will they be avalable like the next day? The site is rather confusing. I guess I may have to call and ask. But I wonder if anyone will be able to answer questions in person. Very frustrating.

Or what happens if there are "issues" with the live feed... are we just SOL... as far as seeing the show we pre-paid to view "LIVE" - at least in the past, there were OnDemand vids available several days/hours later to watch.

This has been addressed by an email to a subscriber in an earlier post...

Implementation of what we've all come to know as "The DVR Feature," which is an obvious area of concern for just about everyone wishing to subscribe to DCI Live!, is the next challenge we're working practically around the clock to address. Like so many of the factors we've encountered of late, the intersection of technology and the law is perhaps more than a bit hazy. We hope to have this sorted out very soon as we know it will be a huge factor in determining whether or not to subscribe, based on geographic considerations and the viewing habits of drum corps fans.

This has been addressed by an email to a subscriber in an earlier post...

I did read this but it's so vague that I will hold off on buying a subscription. This is so late into the start of DC season this should have been dealt with early on. I'm not going to spend money on "what ifs". To me DCI has taken a huge step backwards.

• Like 2

Exactly. Given previous experience it's an awful risk. I don't want to tune in for four hours to see the three corps I want to watch, either. DCI has screwed the pooch.

Oh, so you're one of those, eh? Only supports the last three corps in the lineup, then wonder why the lower-placing corps struggle financially each year.

If DCI has "screwed the pooch", I'd contend you've contributed to the problem.

• Like 2

The irony in all this is that while DCI may not have the rights to provide a DVR feature built into the streaming software, it's perfectly legal for any user to record the stream to their hard drive using third-party software. Is it a violation of the DCI Live! terms of service? Maybe, but it's certainly not illegal.

The bottom line in all of this is that the harder you make it for the average user to consume your content, the more likely they are to resort to other means to consume it. That's what led to the rise of Napster from 1999-2002, and that's what's going to push more folks to use BitTorrent and similar peer-to-peer file sharing.

In the height of the Napster era, DCI audio and video was actually a fairly large commodity. Thousands of drum corps fans were ripping and sharing DCI content. While it's clear that the fact that there was no cost was a huge plus, the easy of use factor was the big thing. This is what led to the introduction of the Fan Network. The average user wants to pay for content. But it has to be affordable and easy to get. The Fan Network was, at the very least, a decent mix of those things.

If DCI does indeed have to take away the DVR feature for live streams, this is what's going to happen:

1. Some subscribers will rip live streams and convert them to easily consumed files (a large number already do, but won't admit it because they think it's illegal...it isn't. Or that DCI might cut them off if they found out...they might)

2. Said users will make said files available via BitTorrent or other means

3. Thousands of folks who can't watch the streams live, many of whom are actually DCI Live! subscribers, will download said files for consumption.

Either way, DCI loses. It's the classic no-win scenario. There's no doubt in my mind that DCI wants to make DVR capability available, but it is what it is...we live in an era when existing copyright law is so convoluted it forces otherwise normal people to become criminals just to consume your content...content they would gladly pay for.

I feel bad for the DCP mods, because they're the ones that are going to feel like they have to shut down discussion topics that deal with this stuff. Discussion of perfectly legal third party stream ripping software (like, say, LiveStreamer) should be allowed, but discussion of BitTorrent (also a perfectly legal service) and it's use to share copyrighted material (which isn't legal in most cases) is going to make for one sticky wicket for DCP and it's mods.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 6

So, I'm out of the country enjoying a family vacation when I get a message from a friend who says there will likely be DCP fireworks on Friday (today). Since I haven't logged on to DCP for several days it took me a while to get caught up in the thread, but I must say I'm a little shocked at the level of disdain for the folks at DCI. I'm no apologist for crappy business practices, but I'd suggest the level of complaints here are premature considering all of the issues that DCI has been dealing with concerning rights and, simultaneously, trying to upgrade our level of live feed service which their own data shows is the most-demanded part of video broadcasts.

This whole video thang, which I love, is and will always be a revenue source for DCI. But let's not forget that DCI is a only a revenue machine for the corps themselves. If DCILive were a rousing success nearly ALL of the profit would be sucked out of the home office and distributed to the corps (maybe as it should be). If it's not, perhaps the blame should be placed on the BOD for allowing the business leadership to take this failed path.

In my view, this whole kerfuffle is a win/win in the long run regardless of how it plays out.

This is not another G7 event. It's at least a poorly-explained transition to a new platform or, at worst, another poorly-implemented business plan. The nice thing about business decisions is that they tend to expose their faults when poor results are experienced.

• Like 3

Oh, so you're one of those, eh? Only supports the last three corps in the lineup, then wonder why the lower-placing corps struggle financially each year.

If DCI has "screwed the pooch", I'd contend you've contributed to the problem.

My favorite three corps shows last year were Bluecoats, Cavaliers and Crossmen, so your characterization of me is wrong. I've watched each of those shows at least ten times, others fewer times, some not at all. With DCI's recent execrable rules changes, by the end of the season I know what I want to see and what I don't and hours may go by between corps I want to see. Now the only option is to wait for your one chance to see it.

I liked watching what I wanted when I wanted it, and DCI's new model doesn't serve my needs any longer, especially with the loss of the archives.

Either way, DCI loses. It's the classic no-win scenario............................

Are you saying it's DCI's version of the Kobayashi Maru test?

• Like 1