Fan Network 2015

If they get rid of archives, I'm not renewing my subscription. They're the main, if not only reason I get fan network. The live shows over the summer are just a bonus for me.

• Like 3

If they get rid of archives, I'm not renewing my subscription. They're the main, if not only reason I get fan network. The live shows over the summer are just a bonus for me.

I still haven't seen any evidence that DCI might drop the archives.

Using WGI as evidence for that sort of change (as many have done) is flawed for one very large reason: WGI deals with literally hundreds of groups every single year, and has to secure rights for all of them. DCI deals with a much smaller number of groups, even given the 40+ year history of the circuit. DCI's costs for securing streaming rights is likely far less than WGI's was, and given DCI's higher income stream, much more affordable.

I could be wrong, but I don't believe DCI will dump the FN archives completely. But they may very well draw a line at what they are willing to spend to secure the rights for a single corps' performance.

I guess without the Live Webcasts I'd be pretty much clueless as to what is going on during the summer. I don't think I've watched a show on there since September......hope they focus on the upcoming season and then try to fix whatever is going on with securing rights.

I still haven't seen any evidence that DCI might drop the archives.

Using WGI as evidence for that sort of change (as many have done) is flawed for one very large reason: WGI deals with literally hundreds of groups every single year, and has to secure rights for all of them. DCI deals with a much smaller number of groups, even given the 40+ year history of the circuit. DCI's costs for securing streaming rights is likely far less than WGI's was, and given DCI's higher income stream, much more affordable.

I could be wrong, but I don't believe DCI will dump the FN archives completely. But they may very well draw a line at what they are willing to spend to secure the rights for a single corps' performance.

well WGI also has the issue with inactive units as well as scholastic units.

I feel like they're going to use the WGI fanzone method for distribution (YouTube source to allow the multiple platforms, devices, etc), but possibly set it up as a "private" link with individual passwords for getting into the live streams. That way, it's not free for everyone, but on a more stable, widely-used platform.

guess we'll find out by the 1st!

• Like 1

I guess without the Live Webcasts I'd be pretty much clueless as to what is going on during the summer. I don't think I've watched a show on there since September......hope they focus on the upcoming season and then try to fix whatever is going on with securing rights.

Me too. Out here in Cali our season basically ends as soon as it starts. With Fan Network it allows us on the West coast to follow drumcorp. Fan Network is the best thing DCI has done to allow it's fans to follow a season to he very end. Without it I too would probably end my association with DC. At least on a national level.

Yeah, but my worry is that it may be only live streams, if the licensing can't be worked out.

If there were licensing issues with all of the FN archives, I think it would all have been removed last December.

Instead, they took down "only" 73 (of 300) Finals performances from 1975-1999, and they left up all 180 Finals performances from 2000-2014 (plus a few hundred non-Finals performances from the past few years).

I hope that means the worst-case scenario is the current status quo: only those 73 performances remain missing until the licensing issue is resolved.

My sentiments exactly. This whole thing has been a mismanaged cluster_uck.