Fan Network 2015

Drum Corps Trans-Galaxy is pleased to announce that for the 2015 season the special "John Boehner-Harry Reid Scholarships" funded by McConnel and Pelozzi Enterprises as friends of the marching arts go to Jeff Ream and Brasso.

The winners will join together for a special weekend together at the Monastery of Silent Communion to experience the Gino Monterestelli program similarly shared by all DCI podium princes and princesses. Added benefits will be a few extra hours sleep for the fatigued Mr. Ream and some deserved digital relaxation and hot stone finger massages for Mr. Brasso.

DCPers everywhere will wait with baited breaths to see what this Marriage Encounter type of 2 step program will bring to future forums; meanwhile on the threads we tread. Have a great weekend and a great season.

Edited by xandandl

We're *far* more likely to see DCI lose corps to DCA than we are any kind of formal merger.

Well, I guess only time will tell.

DCI can't claim to be for youth if they have groups with 40-year-olds in them.

Well, DCI actually does list numerous DCA corps as DCI's own "All Age Corps", both in its annual souvenir yearbook and on its schedule. You can sort DCI's schedule via the "Events by Corps" option to show Alliance, AtlantaCV, Bridgemen Alumni, Carolina Gold, Cincinnati Tradition, Crusaders Senior, Defenders, Governaires, Kilties, Minnesota Brass, and Muchachos.

And that's different from the three corps listed on DCI's schedule because of the July 4 "Beapot Invitational - A DCI/DCA split event!", which are identified as follows: "*DCA - Cadets2, *DCA - Connecticut Hurricanes, *DCA - Hawthorne Caballeros".

Drum Corps Trans-Galaxy is pleased to announce that for the 2015 season the special "John Boehner-Harry Reid Scholarships" funded by McConnel and Pelozzi Enterprises as friends of the marching arts go to Jeff Ream and Brasso.

The winners will join together for a special weekend together at the Monastery of Silent Communion to experience the Gino Monterestelli program similarly shared by all DCI podium princes and princesses. Added benefits will be a few extra hours sleep for the fatigued Mr. Ream and some deserved digital relaxation and hot stone finger massages for Mr. Brasso.

DCPers everywhere will wait with baited breaths to see what this Marriage Encounter type of 2 step program will bring to future forums; meanwhile on the threads we tread. Have a great weekend and a great season.

Dan wouldn't like me in person. i'm quieter

Well, DCI actually does list numerous DCA corps as DCI's own "All Age Corps", both in its annual souvenir yearbook and on its schedule. You can sort DCI's schedule via the "Events by Corps" option to show Alliance, AtlantaCV, Bridgemen Alumni, Carolina Gold, Cincinnati Tradition, Crusaders Senior, Defenders, Governaires, Kilties, Minnesota Brass, and Muchachos.

And that's different from the three corps listed on DCI's schedule because of the July 4 "Beapot Invitational - A DCI/DCA split event!", which are identified as follows: "*DCA - Cadets2, *DCA - Connecticut Hurricanes, *DCA - Hawthorne Caballeros".

they claim them as associate members. there's the catch

They claim them as associate members. There's the catch.

Well, I don't think it would be such a problem for DCI's funding if it were to absorb DCA and become an organization whose educational programming not only served young people (in both the junior and all-age divisions) but also included a "continuing education" component (in the latter). Not saying it's going to happen, just that financial supporters would likely have no issues with it.

Edited to fix typo.

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 1

Good point.

An experiential component could be termed continuing ed as much as the judges' or instructors' continuing ed programs are allowed by DCI funding and tax status as component of service to youth.

It's all in the packaging.

Edited by xandandl

Well, I don't think it wouldn't be such a problem for DCI's funding if it were to absorb DCA and become an organization whose educational programming not only served young people (in both the junior and all-age divisions) but also included a "continuing education" component (in the latter). Not saying it's going to happen, just that financial supporters would likely have no issues with it.

Can you see anything in your vision of such an "absorbtion" that would direct revenue away from DCI or its member corps? If yes, stop. It's not going to happen.

Whatever "merger" or combination we can imagine would need to be accretive to the DCI member corps immediately with little or no funding from the DCI coffers, or it's not going to be approved or supported.

But merger proponents shouldn't despair too much; my understanding is that you only need to look at what's being done with SoundSport and DrumlineBattle to see the potential under those limitations.

But merger proponents shouldn't despair too much;

I havn't noticed any DCI- DCA merger "proponents " here on DCP. Not even on the DCA side of this forum. If there are DCI- DCA merger " proponents " on here, where are they? Who are they ? and why are they allegedly advocating a merger now between DCI and DCA ?

Edited by BRASSO

Can you see anything in your vision of such an "absorbtion" that would direct revenue away from DCI or its member corps? If yes, stop. It's not going to happen.

Whatever "merger" or combination we can imagine would need to be accretive to the DCI member corps immediately with little or no funding from the DCI coffers, or it's not going to be approved or supported.

I was just responding to Jeff's argument that DCI would never merge with DCA because, as he said, "DCI can't claim to be for youth if they have groups with 40-year-olds in them". That's all. Your point doesn't really bear on mine.

• Like 1