Indy "opening" contest

First official show thread of the year. 2 day gap until the next show, so it goes on a little longer than most. It will fade away soon, as other show threads pick up momentum.

• Like 2

I am surprised that none of the usual suspects from Beantown have reacted to Dennis DeLucia's misspeak when he referred to BAC '14 show as "Animal House" rather than "Animal Farm."

I'm not so sure that that was a misspeak. I think he meant to say it. Either way - I got a chuckle from the comment.

And now almost 2 days later and still no explanation, excuse, apology, or reasoning for Crown's delay...poor management or just being Devilish to go with the theme?

I'm not sure why this is an issue?

I'm sure the corps have the info. I believe Racine Scouts, founded 1927, did not continually operate in every season. They are the oldest corps currently active by date. The Cadets, founded 1934, are generally considered the oldest continually active drum and bugle corps.

Meanwhile, in DCA, the Governaires, also founded in 1927, bill themselves as the "oldest continuously operating competing drum and bugle corps in the world," although drum major John Mayer sometimes omits the "competing" and usually omits the "continuously operating" when he introduces the corps before each performance.

Which means that the Governaires believe there are older "continuously operating" corps that don't compete, or older "competing" corps that haven't operated continuously. (And it leaves open the possibility that Governaires themselves haven't competed in every year of their existence.) And certainly there are older corps. Both Jubal, who will appear on this year's DCI tour, and Kidsgrove Scouts, who will appear on this year's DCA tour, are more than 100 years old, I believe.

DCI has posted a news story about the cinemacast, including tweets from attendees.

Apparently Janina Gavankar, the actress and singer who collaborated with Jersey Surf on a music video in the off season, attended a screening. Which is particularly amusing because there was apparently a trivia question about that collaboration on the pre-show slides.

Meanwhile, in DCA, the Governaires, also founded in 1927, bill themselves as the "oldest continuously operating competing drum and bugle corps in the world," although drum major John Mayer sometimes omits the "competing" and usually omits the "continuously operating" when he introduces the corps before each performance.

Which means that the Governaires believe there are older "continuously operating" corps that don't compete, or older "competing" corps that haven't operated continuously. (And it leaves open the possibility that Governaires themselves haven't competed in every year of their existence.) And certainly there are older corps. Both Jubal, who will appear on this year's DCI tour, and Kidsgrove Scouts, who will appear on this year's DCA tour, are more than 100 years old, I believe.

Any Corps lasting 50, 75, 100+ years in this economy and with the ups and downs the Corps have to endure just to get down the road -- they ALL have my utmost respect and admiration.

• Like 4

I just watched Bluecoats' show on the tube.

I believe this show will definitely contend for the title. There is a lot going on in there and much of it good in my opinion. The guard appears to be VERY good, as do the drumline and hornline. It may not have as much drill as a lot of people want, but I think I'm happy with what they have, and I am sure they'll add more. I'm looking forward to seeing this show live.

As for the electronics....

....sigh...I'm pretty sure I'll be labeled a hater for this, but honestly I couldn't really care less. I cannot say I like them. I think it is too much. Ever listen to an album of a musician singing and you hear much of what they sing drowned out by electronics? Well that's the way I feel about the electronics in Bluecoats' show. Maybe it'll sound different in person, but I doubt it. There were times I could not figure out whether it was the corps or the electronics playing their show. Ahh well...tis the times in which we live.

Anyways, Bluecoats' show will be great. I believe that if anything else.

wow we agree again LOL!

I think with balance levels dialed down a little bit, some of what irks us both will be diminished. I'm sure this being so different from what has come before will cause any live feed issues on how to mix the sound given the usual mic set up for recording a drum corps show as well.

Was there not a compromise reached at the last rule congress two years ago?

Rather than a GE music judge referring only to music and a GE visual judge referring only to visual, judges now can reference both sides of the show but still assign numbers based on their caption.

For instance the music judge might make mention of the drill demands on the musicians, the staging of instruments as it relates to the musical presentation, the dialogue between what the guard may be doing vis-a-vis what the musicians are doing/performing. The visual judge might do something similar from the perspective of visual influenced by the music/musicians.

It is not, however, the old VFW system of judging where there were 2 GE judges each whom judged the total show, that is all captions as one (compared to the Legion judges who judged only their caption and which the DCI approach adopted and mimicked for many decades.) Some marching band circuits use the VFW approach under new titles, some the AM. Legion/DCI traditional approach, some the DCI modern.

GE 1 and GE2 terms are used by some; fromthepressbox.com lists the judges for each show according to what DCI assigned and still stays GE visual and GE music.

that's always been a part of GE...audio ti visual coordination has always been a key component. I've heard tapes with music judges talking about how the flags match the musical mood.

if anything, it lifted restraints on some purists who said music effect was soley music, and now if you do cross captions a little bit, you won't get screamed at for it.

• Like 1

So - I'm surprised no one has mentioned Scouts "lifting" the tenor solo and bass drum solo ideas from Cadets 2000. A little out of place in the show, and I just couldn't help smh

Hoping they'll take these moments and make them a bit more their own

My first thought was "wtf are they doing? Cadets did this in 2000 and did it wayyyyyyy better." Not a comparison that I think they really want to encourage. That tenor feature is pretty tame if you ask me. Looked to me like only 1 guy was playing at a time when they started flipping around.

Something about painting hashes. No wait, wrong corps.

ok the secret is out.

Crown was delayed because they stopped by the Colts equipment rom, and lowered every football there to just below the legal PSI numbers so they're ready for the preseason.

this of course was done without any knowledge by Colts personnel, and they were sure to leave lots of Patriots stuff behind

• Like 4