2015 Uniforms (All Threads Now Merged HERE)

Two issues. 1) Androgynous costuming. 2) Modern dance scourge on the activity.

Regarding your criticism of modern dance, which Wikipedia tells me is normally dated to a period of 1880-1960, are you interested in more guards incorporating classical ballet or post-modern work?

That's a trick question. The Bluecoats' 2014 show had no thematic depth, so designing a costume is impossible. But if I were designing a guard uniform for the vague show concept "tilt", my mind doesn't immediately jump to head to toe orange spandex and men's orange micro mini skirt wraparound tunics. Be honest, does yours? The point is that skirt-like costume elements on men-- that's year after year of designs with skirt-like elements for men-- suggest a designer's androgyny agenda, and not a balanced, organic approach to costume design for marching music. Adding skirts to men's uniforms is like out of the blue adding bustles to everyone's uniform-- everyone marching around with huge buttock elements from the Victorian era-- it would just make people shrug and say "What's that designer's obsession with the bustle? Is he feeling all right? This is the third year in a row he's done bustles!" Why isn't it the same for these mini-skirt like elements on men?

"Androgyny Agenda"...I'm going to try really hard to use that phrase as much as possible during the next (in person) heated drum corps argument I get into.

*ahem* meanwhile back at the ranch...here's a closer view of Madison's uniforms, including the drum major. Photo credit to the Madison Scouts facebook page.

KOb9yR5.jpg

jszPtxG.jpg

JyZ6LUK.jpg

• Like 2

I'm digging the drum major outfit a lot! Slightly fancier, but still 100% one of the corps. I don't think that'd be a horrible look for the whole corps next year, either.

Edited by troon8
  • Like 1

I wish the whole corps had that sash. Wow. Cords also

Edited by ShouldveMarchedAgeOut
  • Like 1

I wish the whole corps had that sash. Wow. Cords also

I was just going to post the same thoughts. Love the DM sash & miss the citation cords on the rest of the corp. Its great to see red back in the uni!

• Like 1

Kids pay $3,500 per year to dance all summer. They do it because they know they will improve massively in their dance skill. The outfits are typical dance outfits for performing arts. Here is a google search for "Male dance outfits". This is what you are complaining about. Most of them have either long shirts, tight pants, or both. It is not just pride events, as you imply. It is just typical modern male dance.

I love these male dance outfits. Only two out of the 200 photos you told me to look at had skirt like elements. There was one couture runway photo of a Jeoffrey Ballet dancer featuring a skirt like element, and one other one where billowy pants had extra fabric. That's it. Get my point? I love the colors, I love couture, I love the fabrics, the design elements, heck I even like performance art spandex body bags, but only one percent of your sample photos featured a skirt or tunic-like element. My point is why do a preponderance of male color guard uniforms nowadays have skirt like elements? Get what I mean? The pictures you showed me, a representative sample of "Male dance outfits" only showed two percent, but in drum corps it's more like 50 percent. Something's up.