2016 Prediction Thread

don't disagree about BD but I still think that (since they've been contenders) Crown had been frustrating Cadets fans more often than vice versa. just ask Tekk :-)

Um. Ok sure. I guess I just take a much longer view on things lol.

It's interesting how much weight people put on what happened last year. If you get a bunch of vets returning or you have a top design staff that stays, I can see that having some impact. However, I think every corps starts a zero and goes from there. Maybe they get the "benefit of the doubt" from a judge early on but by finals I don't think last year's placements matter one bit.

makes perfect sense from your POV.

actually I'd say in such an activity with a long and rich history a "long view" is the only correct view

look at the Cavaliers for example, a tremendous run in the 2000s - and other tremendous runs decades earlier pre-DCI

they've won numerous championships - yet their fans never seemed to get uppity - probably because of the awareness that getting to the top in the activity is one thing, staying there is something else entirely

BD had a tremendous run, then a dry spell... and since 94 has been on a tremendous run once again

sometimes a longer view provides a lot of perspective

Only 9 corps have ever won the title (including 3 ties):

And that's just since DCI era - Cadets, Cavaliers, Boston etc around way longer with extremely rich and long histories

It's interesting how much weight people put on what happened last year. If you get a bunch of vets returning or you have a top design staff that stays, I can see that having some impact. However, I think every corps starts a zero and goes from there. Maybe they get the "benefit of the doubt" from a judge early on but by finals I don't think last year's placements matter one bit.

Great point. I would counter by saying BD deserves our "benefit of the doubt" given their recent history :)

I'm gonna go way out on a limb here and predict right now that the Blue Devils will place in the Top 6.

• Like 1

actually I'd say in such an activity with a long and rich history a "long view" is the only correct view

And that's just since DCI era - Cadets, Cavaliers, Boston etc around way longer with extremely rich and long histories

again -- it's all about your POV. a long history is nice. but it's not gonna win a thing for you. the history that matters is "what has XYZ's design team produced lately?"

the longevity of BDs team means their relevant history reaches way the heck back.

in the case of the Cavaliers, their past history is irrelevant because a key component of their success (Gaines) is no longer with the corps. essentially the "reset" button has been pushed. sure there's plenty to be said for traditions, etc... but they aren't really gonna win you anything. in fact I think part of the reason the Cavies have "struggled" is their attempt to continue to recreate the kind of shows they had when MG was writing for them instead of trying to develop a new visual identity.

as for the cadets, we're just gonna have to wait and see how this "new" design team works out. if the show exhibits a serious design weakness , all the history in the world isn't going to get you a medal

as for "uppity", well lots of folks hate change! crown seems to have put together a team that's in the medal hunt every year and frequently in the hunt for the win. don't know how long that will last but -- for now at least -- they're a contender. i dont see any reason to pretend otherwise. because the only --ONLY -- thing that matters is this year's design, this year's staff, this year's admin, and this year's performers.

additionally cadets fans were very used to be being the only "big boy" on the east coast. every season started with a nice long run of wins before they met up with their "real" competition from the midwest and west. that's just not the case anymore. chances are crown and cadets are gonna be on similar tours and getting those wins under your belt is no longer such a sure thing. i get it. kinda sucks.

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1

Alright I got this:

1:Star of Indiana

2:Anaheim Kingsmen

3:Reading Buccaneers

4:Yokohama Scouts

5:Kidsgrove Scouts

6:Hawthorne Cabelleros

7:Broken Arrow HS

8:Calgary Stampede

9:Sacramento Freelancers