Infuence of DCPers...

To me, DCP definitely has an influence on DCI and on its' member corps. How much we can only guess. We're not a big activity, and most of the chatter and reviews that get posted during and after a show are found here. So if you're a corps director, staff member, volunteer, etc., I would imagine your interest would be peaked to check out what others thought of your show or other DCI rules issues. It's not like there are a lot of other sources for such info. So I absolutely think corps directors and their staff jump on here (anonymous names and all) and read the content. That's a good and healthy thing. And I think they're smart enough to know what is good and constructive, and what is just downright mean and perhaps lacking in credibility.

I've never understood why they ask their marching members to stay off the forum. I've never been a fan of that kind of censorship. I could see asking them not to post. You don't want a bunch of different people speaking on behalf of the corps, but I would highly encourage my students to read something like this. You learn a lot. You quickly realize that no corps can please everyone, that we all like different things, that some people are mad and angry and mean, and others love to offer constructive criticism and praise.

• Like 4

To me, DCP definitely has an influence on DCI and on its' member corps. How much we can only guess. We're not a big activity, and most of the chatter and reviews that get posted during and after a show are found here. So if you're a corps director, staff member, volunteer, etc., I would imagine your interest would be peaked to check out what others thought of your show or other DCI rules issues. It's not like there are a lot of other sources for such info. So I absolutely think corps directors and their staff jump on here (anonymous names and all) and read the content. That's a good and healthy thing. And I think they're smart enough to know what is good and constructive, and what is just downright mean and perhaps lacking in credibility.

I've never understood why they ask their marching members to stay off the forum. I've never been a fan of that kind of censorship. I could see asking them not to post. You don't want a bunch of different people speaking on behalf of the corps, but I would highly encourage my students to read something like this. You learn a lot. You quickly realize that no corps can please everyone, that we all like different things, that some people are mad and angry and mean, and others love to offer constructive criticism and praise.

Someone (Guardling?) had mentioned a while back that some groups have DCP Night. I would imagine it would be similar to Jimmy Kimmel's "Mean Tweets" clips - something to laugh at.

Edited by Lincoln
  • Like 2

There really is only one corps of members who don't read DCP like they are told to by their management. And that's the Cavaliers because they don't have cellphones on tour. Otherwise I know other corps members read it post shows.

Some of the staff members I know do read DCP, and they're very well versed in weeding out the blathering (read: stomping your feet and whining) from the valid criticism. That's not that hard to do. Each staff has its own vision and this forum impacts that little, if at all IMO.

Compared to the RAMD days, this is a great forum for the exchange of opinions and ideas. That's why I think many directly associated with the activity (NOT active marching members) have fun with it, either anonymously or not.

• Like 1

Someone (Guardling?) had mentioned a while back that some groups have DCP Night. I would imagine it would be similar to Jimmy Kimmel's "Mean Tweets" clips - something to laugh at.

YES, thats exactly what it is, or was, not so much anymore. There used to be quite a few stars on DCP night now only a few. You can always count on a few left overs from the past years to , cough , cough entertain .

Edited by GUARDLING

It isnt censorship, Its keeping their group focused and filtering out nonsense which occurs at times. Its the same reason jobs have done the same. reading is one thing, many corps do not approve of it and state it right from auditions but POSTING is a big no no with many or most. Do some kids and staff still do it? sure is it monitored by some corps staffs? yes, have kids been sent home or parents told stop! YES unfortunately. Like that or not , debate it or not it is fact for many and like a job in the real world ( as we have seen on many news stations ) it's a rule of many and growing. BUT there is an alternative in real life or anything else, dont like the rule? leave.

It's not about not being able to take criticism, kids take plenty of that every minute on tour . Now you say constructive? well for some , many even sure, but let me ask what good does it do and how does that get filtered. Everyone thinks what they have to say is fact as well as the better thing to do. A members job is to listen, to their staff. A very big part of today's programs, as well as even the far off past, is buying into your program and supporting it 100 %. Only difference now is the internet . BITD didnt have all the arm chair instruction and all the so called experts, well we did..lol..but they didnt have a voice...lol. Dont get me wrong there are many here and other sites that offer great insight ( not that any kids are going to go to a staff a person and say ) Oh a person said this or that on DCP or facebook and we should do that, .lol BUT it's just easier to say NO than have to filter out the other stuff , which in the past has been kinda crazy with some.

Focus is the key IMO

Please no debate on right or wrong in a persons mind , we all have that opinion( not saying you but there are a few here that jump on this stuff.) , It's about if theres a rule you follow it period. A life lesson

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

Hardly a week, month, year does not go by when a new potential marcher in DCI Corps doesn't asks assistance with some question about some aspect of getting prepared to march DCI, and there are lots of excellent suggestions of a helpful nature. We have Corps that have come here mentioning openings... helpful suggestions on weather conditions ( we have 2 weatherman here )... helpful suggestions on using a computer, TV, IPad, to efficiently watch shows....helpful suggestions, and helpful answers to assist fans in dozens upon dozens of questions regarding shows, venues, tickets, and hunderds of other beneficial things that enable inquisitive fans, marchers, potential marchers to help them enjoy their Drum Corps experience. Yes, there are some fans here that try to silence the opionions of others, and some silly things posted on here that are either intentionally or unintentionally arcane, useless, hperventilated, boring, and 50 other characteristics of the postings that we could utilize to describe the posts and the postings the posts, but thats true in any diverse audience. This is a discussion forum. The notion that only the Mother Gooses are on here, or only the constipated, or the smart, or the dumb, or the hateful, or the cheerleaders, is simply a caricature that the simple read of the threads and diverse comments can lay that false caricature to rest. DCP has former Drum Corps judges on here, former instructors, current Drum Corps Hall of Famers, Music Directors at H.S. and Universities, former Show Designers, etc and the like... it also has 12 year olders with no marching experience, and people that have spent 50 years in Drum Corps and who still are clueless on many aspects of Drum Corps. Some people who post here have been going to shows for over hallf a century, and others tht post on here that have never been to a DCI show yet.... and EVERYTHING in between. So this notion that DCP'ers are a monollitic group, is simply belied by the actual truth regarding both its diversity, and the comments and observations made on here each day, week, month, year. My guess, whatever it is you want to find on here, somewhere along the line you'll find it. And for the posted stuff on here that has no interest to you, you simply ignore it, scroll on by it, and leave others to discuss their mutual interest in it. There are subsections here on this forum that are no interest to me, but its there not for me. Its there for those that ARE interested in it. My guess, I am not alone on this. I'd imagine that few DCP'ers read and post on a majority of the subsections here on DCP... some of us have probably never been on some of the other subsections here, and so to say that DCI is a one size fits all forum, where only one subset of posters post here is simply not borne out by the very facts themselves on who posts and who reads here on the over dozen subsections this forum has.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 6

Hardly a week, month, year does not go by when a new potential marcher in DCI Corps doesn't asks assistance with some question about some aspect of getting prepared to march DCI, and there are lots of excellent suggestions of a helpful nature. We have Corps that have come here mentioning openings... helpful suggestions on weather conditions ( we have 2 weatherman here )... helpful suggestions on using a computer, TV, IPad, to efficiently watch shows....helpful suggestions, and helpful answers to assist fans in dozens upon dozens of questions regarding shows, venues, tickets, and hunderds of other beneficial things that enable inquisitive fans, marchers, potential marchers to help them enjoy their Drum Corps experience. Yes, there are some fans here that try to silence the opionions of others, and some silly things posted on here that are either intentionally or unintentionally arcane, useless, hperventilated, boring, and 50 other characteristics of the postings that we could utilize to describe the posts and the postings the posts, but thats true in any diverse audience. This is a discussion forum. The notion that only the Mother Gooses are on here, or only the constipated, or the smart, or the dumb, or the hateful, or the cheerleaders, is simply a caricature that the simple read of the threads and diverse comments can lay that false caricature to rest. DCP has former Drum Corps judges on here, former instructors, current Drum Corps Hall of Famers, Music Directors at H.S. and Universities, former Show Designers, etc and the like... it also has 12 year olders with no marching experience, and people that have spent 50 years in Drum Corps and who still are clueless on many aspects of Drum Corps. Some people who post here ghave been going to shows for over hallf a century, and others tht post on here that have never been to a DCI show yet.... and EVERYTHING in between. So this notion that DCP'ers are a monollitic group, is simply belied by the actual truth regarding both its diversity, and the comments and observations made on here each day, week, month, year.

STOP THE PRESSES!

Alert the press!

Cats are sleeping with dogs!

This post actually makes perfect sense.

(Who are you and what did you do with the actual BRASSO?)

:tounge2:

Edited by garfield
  • Like 4

He's caught in the vortex, he's contemplating Crown's show most seriously. He's ready for Game On and is ready for Conquest.

New England is under a tornado watch and the end times are upon us.

Brasso and Garfield agree. Definitely one for the record books!