Coast Classic C Corps Conundrum, Allentown, Monday June 29th

Yeah, as much as I would love to be a Crown homer about this, note that the change in judging panels removed percussion (-0.3 last night) and replaced it with guard (+0.6 tonight). That's exactly the +0.9 swing toward Crown tonight.

• Like 1

Brass wasn't judged, one of crown's strengths. And hasnt crown been doing well in Proficiency?

Crown only had two competitions in which they were judged in Visual Proficiency: Indy (1st) and Akron (2nd to Bluecoats).
  • Like 2

Boy, that photo of Cadets 2 looks great. They look big and sharp!!

Good job Cadets and Crown almost 80!

...and good job to Boston and Crossmen for both breaking 71. Not unusual for Boston to do so at this time of year, but Crossmen haven't done it this early in a long, long time.

• Like 1

Crown only had two competitions in which they were judged in Visual Proficiency: Indy (1st) and Akron (2nd to Bluecoats).

Agree, even from my read last night Carolina Crown is way cleaner than Cadets. Now that can be a good thing for Cadets since they are already in front and only upward to go in terms of cleaning. But Carolina has some advantages. Brass and Guard are their main advantages, and their feet are cleaner at this point, but their drill design is easier and, to me, a little less effective. Drill, Percussion, and GE are the Cadets advantages. However, both have solid GE and some big wow moments. Cadets and Crown are both magnificent this year. To me, I just see Cadets with more room to grow. Some of this will depend on what kind of changes Carolina implements over the next few weeks.

Agree, even from my read last night Carolina Crown is way cleaner than Cadets. Now that can be a good thing for Cadets since they are already in front and only upward to go in terms of cleaning. But Carolina has some advantages. Brass and Guard are their main advantages, and their feet are cleaner at this point, but their drill design is easier and, to me, a little less effective. Drill, Percussion, and GE are the Cadets advantages. However, both have solid GE and some big wow moments. Cadets and Crown are both magnificent this year. To me, I just see Cadets with more room to grow. Some of this will depend on what kind of changes Carolina implements over the next few weeks.

The Cadets have rehearsal days on seven of the next eleven calendar days, although it looks like they are headed into New York for some off time on one of those days.

Watch out.

• Like 1

Until some Corps actually knocks off the Blue Devils in a show, they have to be the presumptive favorite. Its like a prizefight. In order to beat the Undefeated, Undisputed Champion of the world, you can't do it on a technical. It requires a knockout punch, where they out cold on the canvas. Judges are not going to give the edge in a close one to anyone else but the Blue Devils. And as it should be.

Let me tell you what's wrong with Cadet's show; nothing. They are phenomenal, this is a championship show.

Crown: No one listens to me, and I really don't care what the judges say, but this is a championship show!!! They use the least movable props on the field and depend on straight ahead DRUM CORPS more than any other corps I've seen in a long time. The entire show is built around their horn show, and it will lift you out of your seat.

DO NOT count Crown out. This show can win it all.

+++

Edit: I just realized what this show reminds me of. This has Blue Devils '88 vibe all over it, it's that good. Don't bother to look up the video of the old BD show for comparisons. If you didn't sit in front of them and hear them blow your ears off, you simply will never get that from the vids. You had to see it (hear it actually) to believe it. One of the best shows of all time, IMO.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 4

Until some Corps actually knocks off the Blue Devils in a show, they have to be the presumptive favorite. Its like a prizefight. In order to beat the Undefeated, Undisputed Champion of the world, you can't do it on a technical. It requires a knockout punch, where they out cold on the canvas. Judges are not going to give the edge in a close one to anyone else but the Blue Devils. And as it should be.

It's unfortunate that the activity has reached the point where it's either the Blue Devils or "that other corps" that wins it. I wish the playing field was a bit more even. But BD has just built a staff that knows how to create winning show after winning show while providing the best possible experience for its MM's, making them the gold standard. They deserve every win they've gotten, I just wish things were different.

• Like 5