DCI video products unavailable

Know someone on board with DCI this year, says there will be no DVDs produced this year. Please people, record!!!

Having one of the most competative seasons in a while they decide not to produce any record :soapbox: of it lol... Why do I get the feeling DCI is on the way out??

• Like 1

I have no problem with an artist maximizing the return on his or her work. It's a tough way to make a living. And as for "corporate greed"? What can I say, the free market's a #####.

I would hope, however, that all sides can recognize that drum corps and marching band are primarily youth-oriented, educational entities and come up with a scheme that compensates the rights holder but still allows the organizations to create content at a reasonable price.

• Like 3

Having one of the most competative seasons in a while they decide not to produce any record :soapbox: of it lol... Why do I get the feeling DCI is on the way out??

You realize the production costs, and the fact that most people will opt for something they can use digitally rather than a blue ray/DVD, right?

Look at the album sales in CD's compared to those same albums being purchased through things like iTunes.

About 10 years ago I was talking to an employee of DCI that stated that each year they lose about 100,000 on DVD/video because the number of fans purchasing didn't match the production cost. Look at it now and those costs are not only higher, but even less people are buying a hard copy of videos.

It's a sign of the times in the music and video world.

That, along with the various copyright prices and rights issues, it's simply not worth it. If a corps gets streaming right for instance, they may have to jump through additional hoops and pay more money for a DVD/blue ray that might not get purchased enough to offset costs.

I actually commend DCI on this one because they're changing with the times.

Been to the movies lately? Theaters stream their content and don't use hard copies there either. Just the way the industry works.

But blame DCI if you'd like, I'm sure this like everything is their fault.

http://www.dci.org/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=33500&ATCLID=210140824

about three quarters down the page under the 2015 Group Pricing and Incentives there's a blue box with 2015 Benefits at the top. There's a line that indicates the championship DVD's will be available in December of 2015.

but I don't know if that means anyone can buy them, or that only groups will be able to purchase the DVD.

http://www.dci.org/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=33500&ATCLID=210140824

about three quarters down the page under the 2015 Group Pricing and Incentives there's a blue box with 2015 Benefits at the top. There's a line that indicates the championship DVD's will be available in December of 2015.

but I don't know if that means anyone can buy them, or that only groups will be able to purchase the DVD.

I think it means the DVD is provided free-of-charge to that particular group option.

Well at least that's some encouraging news - thx!

I think it means the DVD is provided free-of-charge to that particular group option.

Well at least that's some encouraging news - thx!

Yea, at least we know they'll be recording the performances with a quality good enough for DVD

I have the entire legacy collection, my main interest in DCI. I'm going to have to "borrow" 2014 from someone since I really liked Bluecoats' show.

If videos are no longer available to buy, then DCI is dead to me as an organization. Live-only doesn't cut it - I can't drive all over the country to see the shows and the live-stream isn't worth a d#mn.

DCI was a "live only" operation for most of it's existence. Can'the let the tail wag the dog.

DCI was a "live only" operation for most of it's existence. Can'the let the tail wag the dog.

My 42 years' worth of DCI finals and prelims audio recordings suggest otherwise. This year is different in a way that may render its continued existence only peripheral to the fact that recordings are no longer available.

Does anyone have any 1970s DCI prelims records they want to sell?