DCI video products unavailable

and they're still planning on dragging the enormous A/V unit and hardcases full of discs to shows, so as to be able to start merching wares at any moment.

that doesn't necessarily denote a High Chance of it happening, but I don't think they'd be dragging that much weight and space around if there were No Chance At All.

DCI really is just a small time operation. Recent developments have proved this to be so. Its time for a change.

change how?

I find it odd that Bands of America is able to have the streaming vidieo posted of all their events but apparently are not able to produce the DVD's of the same events...

there's multiple types of licensing, hence 80% of the confusion

I don't know what kind of legal counsel DCI has used for copyright issues, but my wife is an expert in this area and he office is about two blocks from the DCI office.

Anyone have any hard information about what is going on?

send her over

Once they're available again I wonder how much the price for them will shoot up.

Well, there's a bit of a distinction in that TV providers aren't operating expressly under the same parameters that DCI is. Namely, TV providers in most cases don't need to secure sync rights for music they use in their programs. Also, TV providers are now ALL TOO HAPPY for you to record their commercials, even if you don't watch them.

So DCI should add commercials during corps shows - then they can make money and encourage downloads at the same time! :tounge2:

Mike

So DCI should add commercials during corps shows - then they can make money and encourage downloads at the same time! :tounge2:

Mike

Well...the used to have some major sponsors (McD's). If they happened to start getting sponsorship monies from more major corporations to offset the costs of the rights....

Curious as to what kind of financial revenue hit DCI takes if this doesn't get resolved for whatever reason.

FN subscriptions, DVD/blu-rays....

Curious as to what kind of financial revenue hit DCI takes if this doesn't get resolved for whatever reason.

FN subscriptions, DVD/blu-rays....

I have no inside information, but I've been very curious about the rationalization used to make the FN - DCILive format change. There simply must have been a reason and, of course, odds are it's financial.

So here's my take: I remember a revenue number from Fan Network of $700m and I recently heard that DCi expected to lose 40% of that revenue in the switch to the new platform.

So why is that acceptable (assuming that 40% is accurate)? It only makes sense when you consider the cost of the platform. Before, if they were spending $600m to get $700m in revenue, then their net is $100m. If they're now earning $420m but paying $200m for the Nuelion platform, DCI's net is more than doubled and they have fulfilled their obligation to the taskmaster drum corps.

(disclaimer: I have no actual knowledge except for the $700m revenue number. But this type of end result is the only thing I can think of that would justify such a dramatic change in platform product offered by DCI to fans.)

Edited by garfield