Phailing Phantom-- How Phar Will They Phall?

It's not it's a stressful process. Ha!

All the stress caused severe GERD, which in combination with the stress caused anxiety attacks. Thought I was having a heart attack (which would be ironic considering I've dropped 50 lbs, exercise regularly, eat healthy, etc). Luckily it was just this annoying condition. All my blood work came back perfect. My lipids were all with normal limits for the first time in years. Of course I have to do things backassward.

Same here. I come here not to think (which sometimes is obvious). Lol

Mine was a vasovagal episode. (Fancy talk for freak out attack.) Considering all the crap I have to deal with in the real world, I try to keep the stress here to a minimum. Which is not to say that I don't like a good discussion or try avoid criticism of Regiment if I think it's warranted. But I do try to keep it in perspective.

It's funny because some of the harshest criticisms I remember from my marching days were from alumni, so I kinda get where the folks who are still active with the corps are coming from. I remember an '84 vet telling me in Camp Randall on Finals night in '92 (after retreat) that they were so much more exciting in their version of 1812 and that they wondered why our show was so poorly designed. I was like, WTF, really?

I guess the feeling here is often that we're a little more disconnected with the active comings and goings of the corps and maybe a little more free to talk about our opinions of the show and whatnot. All of which I think is a little different than the comments to the effect of "Phantom sucks" or "*** ******* should be fired." While I don't really like or respect that stuff, I try to ignore it as much as possible because I still remember my days with the corps, what drew me to it and the activity and what I like about it. And none of that stuff really has anything in common with most of the negative stuff on here. It's light years away. Twenty years time and countless hours spent here can sometimes dull those memories and make me lose sight but, thankfully, I get to go to shows and rehearsals every once in a while and reconnect with why I love this corps and the activity so much. Sort of a mental reset.

Edited by year1buick
  • Like 4

How Phar in a Phail will this Fluck Phantom Thread Phall ?

Based on content vs achievement, I'd say it still has some room.

if you are referring to a couple of DCPer comments on this thread, it appears so.. lots of content, not sure about its achievement ( haha!)

Edited by BRASSO

Do I think they will fall as far as they did in 2009? Hopefully not. But this years show is as much of a miss as far as design and concept go as that year was. If it is then I hope that the Phantom Regiment 2016 program rebounds in the spectacular way that their 2010 show did. In my opinion "Into the Light" is one of the most beautiful productions ever fielded. It was powerful and emotional in a way that very few corps have ever attained.

• Like 4

As awful as 2009 was, I actually prefer it over 2013-2015 regiment

No question. Perhaps "a show about red violin" was a bad, but using Paganini variations to tell that story was brilliant, in my opinion. And the arrangements were meaty.

Much is being made of an eighth place finish (e.g., "I don't care where they finish, they'll be fine"). In 2009, I had the feeling they'd rebound easily. I just don't have that feeling now.

• Like 1

No question. Perhaps "a show about red violin" was a bad, but using Paganini variations to tell that story was brilliant, in my opinion. And the arrangements were meaty.

Much is being made of an eighth place finish (e.g., "I don't care where they finish, they'll be fine"). In 2009, I had the feeling they'd rebound easily. I just don't have that feeling now.

Isn't hindsight great?

I especially like the way some here think they know more than the judges, I dare say some here probably would love to see Phantom out of top 12 so they can burn the heretics at the stake for letting it happen. It's always a few bad apples are always trying to run things from afar yet have actually never done it. Ya, so Phantom has a bad year..or even not really a bad year an off year. So what? I marched when it WAS a bad year (86-89) and trust me, this isn't even close and it was still great.

• Like 3

I especially like the way some here think they know more than the judges, I dare say some here probably would love to see Phantom out of top 12 so they can burn the heretics at the stake for letting it happen. It's always a few bad apples are always trying to run things from afar yet have actually never done it. Ya, so Phantom has a bad year..or even not really a bad year an off year. So what? I marched when it WAS a bad year (86-89) and trust me, this isn't even close and it was still great.

Then you were there when they had that incredible bounce back in '87. That must have been quite a summer!