Criticizing the "Kids"

I separate the idea of what the members can handle from whether or not it is a good practice for people in DCP and elsewhere to say something personal.

I am sure just about every member will read the stuff and laugh it off as silly, but that doesn't make it OK for the poster to say. It is still rude and bad form, IMO.

Oh I totally agree with this as well. Rude behavior is found everywhere. Heck, BD did a show " Cabaret Voltaire " in which bad behaviors were found everywhere in that dive. Neighbors complained all the time. Police were making arrests of the drunks, fighters there, most nights. The nightly anarchy got so bad there, that the dive inhabitants turned on one another, eventually self destructing from the chaos there every night, and that Zurich, Switzerland dive eventually had to close.... and its Club's rude layabouts then had to scatter to the 4 corners of the world.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Kids reduced to tears for the benefit of someone with an inflated ego.

This is not what DCI is about.

This is also why I cringe when posters make a sports analogy to drum corps.

Posters however are not the only fans to make the connection between athletes, sports, and Drum Corps.

DCI has done it itself... even marketing itself to ESPN Sports Network for its televised Finals... bringing in Sports announcers to do the broadcast of the Finals ( Curt Gowdy ),... bringing in former NFL QB Steve Young , Coach Bobby Knight, and other athletes... and bringing in a heart monitor to hook the heart monitor up to drummers and to compare on the broadcast the drummers heart rate in competition to that of athlete's in competition, and calling itself " Marching Music's Major Leagues", and dozens of other examples over the years where DCI itself made the analogy of what it does to that of sports, and to athletes and what they do. Did you"cringe " dozens of times when DCI did this too a few dozen times or so as well ?

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Posters however are not the only fans to make the connection between athletes, sports, and Drum Corps.

DCI has done it itself... even marketing itself to ESPN Sports Network for its televised Finals... bringing in Sports announcers to do the broadcast of the Finals ( Curt Gowdy ),... bringing in former NFL QB Steve Young , Coach Bobby Knight, and other athletes... and bringing in a heart monitor to hook the heart monitor up to drummers and to compare on the broadcast the drummers heart rate in competition to that of athlete's in competition, and calling itself " Marching Music's Major Leagues", and dozens of other examples over the years where DCI itself made the analogy of what it does to that of sports, and to athletes and what they do. Did you"cringe " dozens of times when DCI did this too a few dozen times or so as well ?

No, I only cringed once when it began, but I recognize that DCI's obligation is to promote the activity in the way fans want it fed to them.

It's up to us as fans to not accept the analogy of "Major League" if the sports connotation is not what we want for the activity.

DCI can change it marketing message. It's up to us as fans to accept it or not.

It's just band.

I have expressed the very same sentiments on here before.

We rarely, if ever, encounter personal attacks on DCI marchers here... or anywhere else. Most, if not all, criticisms are reserved almost entirely toward adults in some capacity.. be in staff of Corps, or DCI HQ staff.

College amateur athletes, many just 18-22, are subjected almost daily to some of the most vile, vitriolic, hateful fan behaviors one can imagine. This personal assault comes from students of other colleges and universities, but it also can be routinely witnessed coming from adults towards these athletes, and they should know better. Athletes on the road in particular are subjected to boos, catcalls, profanity, etc from the moment the team busses arrive at the stadium for competition and they depart from the busses. Its not confined to team either... the verbal assaults can be personal, and name directed oftentimes. Most coa hes properly prepare their 18-22 year olders for these routine expected experiences, and most as a result are able to shrug or chuckle it off, and stay focused on whats at hand.

That is very true. But let me tell you it happens at the high school level as well. I played football at Long Beach Poly High in SoCal. We are a national powerhouse in football. In fact we have sent more players to the NFL than any other high school in the country. I was a three year varsity starter from 93-95 when we was ranked no lower than #7 in the country. I wish you could have seen the hateful behavior and verbal assaults that came our way. This was obviously before Facebook and other social media outlets, so back then opposing fans would somehow get your home phone number. My mom had to change our home number numerous times cause of opposing fans and students calling and saying inappropriate things at all times of the day/night. Our buses would get eggs and rotten fish thrown at on road games, during pregame warm ups our mothers was called everything in the book etc. It was bad. And we was 15-17 years old lol. But we had a huge target on our backs being one of the top teams in the nation. So I can relate to what I see BD go thru here on DCP sometimes. When you are at the top of the mountain and you stay there cause you figured out the winning formula, people want to see you get knocked down. But we never let it stop us. If anything we let the hatred fuel us. We thrived on it. You hate us......we are gonna beat your school by six touchdowns and really give you a reason to hate us. That was our mentality. Never once did we let it get to us. And again we was a lot younger than these amazing World Class DCI performers.

• Like 2

That is very true. But let me tell you it happens at the high school level as well. I played football at Long Beach Poly High in SoCal. We are a national powerhouse in football. In fact we have sent more players to the NFL than any other high school in the country. I was a three year varsity starter from 93-95 when we was ranked no lower than #7 in the country. I wish you could have seen the hateful behavior and verbal assaults that came our way. This was obviously before Facebook and other social media outlets, so back then opposing fans would somehow get your home phone number. My mom had to change our home number numerous times cause of opposing fans and students calling and saying inappropriate things at all times of the day/night. Our buses would get eggs and rotten fish thrown at on road games, during pregame warm ups our mothers was called everything in the book etc. It was bad. And we was 15-17 years old lol. But we had a huge target on our backs being one of the top teams in the nation. So I can relate to what I see BD go thru here on DCP sometimes. When you are at the top of the mountain and you stay there cause you figured out the winning formula, people want to see you get knocked down. But we never let it stop us. If anything we let the hatred fuel us. We thrived on it. You hate us......we are gonna beat your school by six touchdowns and really give you a reason to hate us. That was our mentality. Never once did we let it get to us. And again we was a lot younger than these amazing World Class DCI performers.

Oh man thats brutal.

And now in the age of twitter, recruits are verbally abused by fans when they turn down their school to go to a different one. Its easier to ignore than a phone call though. But yeah, people are brutal about that stuff.

• Like 1

It says ‘verge’ of tears, I don’t see her crying at all

And the video has 8 seconds of nothing (well, it is the Daily Mail), do you have another link where we get to see and hear him yell?

And she is not playing in sports and I don’t get your analogy at all unless you wanted to back up my point, then thanks

And really, don’t we all love to see the kids crying on the finals DVD *cue close up*?

Well, I don’t but I figure other drum corps fans feed off children’s tears because we see so many shots of them on the DVD

I do wonder how much, or little, different corps hear of other corps shows during the season.

Almost none. I have still never seen Cavies' Machine, PR's Faust or Bluecoats 2006 show (and with FNet dead, I may never)

Yup! BUT also the comparisons are for what? So people do crazy crap at sports programs. Is this an excuse for bad behavior everywhere? Professional programs where members are paid is different but either way is it the green light to act badly?

Deleted the rest of my post, no point, Ugly will show it's face either way...lol

Edited by GUARDLING