Singing All At Once and Trends in Drum Corps

I guess I'm ok with some singing in segments of a Corps shows, if its not lengthy, overdone.... like some of the long winded narrations that we've heard some Corps do from the start to the finish in their shows sometimes. While singing is ok, I draw the line at yodeling. I would not like to hear yodelers in DCI Corps shows. Especially in the Mountain States of the US. It could potentially cause an echo down the canyon, and who wants that. Plus, if we let in the yodelers, you just KNOW, what type of long horns DCI will be letting in later.. and no I'm not talking about them Texas Longhorns... I'm talking about the long horns the guys in the short pants, suspenders, knee socks, little hats with the sideways plumes, play on. Marching with those long horns around the field would be harder than marching the timpani's around the field too.

Wow, you've really softened your tone; adjusted your line in the sand. Moderated your view?

I don't know, say SCV put 12 of those long horns on the back sidelines and, at that "VANGUARD" moment...

Because, you know, there's a HUGE demand for longhorn performers in arts programs these days.

Every moment in drum corps spent singing is a lost opportunity for your face to be ripped off by the hornline, and that is a shame. I don't go to a drum corps show to hear a choir.

• Like 3

I am not really a fan of vocalists in drum corps(or marching band) shows. This year a lot of corps seem to be using vocals. I think Boston Crusaders and Colts are doing a very good job with the vocals. Crossmen aren't great but aren't bad either. Unfortunately Troopers and Cavaliers vocals are just dreadful. I think if Cavaliers would drop that vocal section, they would be in the hunt for a medal this year.

With narration I am the same, I prefer it not be used. Several corps have really gone over the top during the last decade, Cadets probably being the worst. Colts show last year was not good with the narration. This year Colts are doing it again, and while it isn't as bad as last year, the 2 minute conversation about 4 minutes into the show, between the girl and guy is really bad. Nothing going on with the brass or much visually during this time. If they could alter that, I think they would have a chance for 12th at finals. As it stands now, I think Academy and Pacific Crest have a chance to pass them. I think about the only time I have left a stadium, and actually thought the narration was good was Mandarins. A wonderful story relevant to their corps was told, and it was done very well.

Edited by MisterA

I find amplified vocals in drum corps quite jarring and I suppose I always will. This is not a knock on the talent level of the singers at all - singing in a show just doesn't work for me at all, and my appreciation for a show is decreased as a result.

It's all opinion, after all. My opinion is that amplified voice mixes with brass and percussion like ketchup mixes with cheerios. It's surprising at first and gets more disgusting as you chew.

Placement will probably determine whether or not it continues.

To the OP - I agree that this many corps using singers came <sort of> out of nowhere, even though singing has been used in the past. I think the success of BK last year encouraged it, and I DID love last year's BK show... even though I hit mute several times because of it.

Edited by cajal

There is a difference between narration and singing...it seems like the line has been pretty much destroyed in this thread...I don't mind all narration. I think the narration in Crown 2013 was done extremely well. Even the quartet vocalizing the gibberish was extremely effective. Maybe it was singing, I don't know, but one could hardly tell what they were saying.

But then again, just about anything Philip Glass is incredible.

I just don't like the bona fide singing. Crown 2004 comes to mind, at the end of the show. Hearing that was a huge let-down moment for me.