Fan Network Live Streams of Shows ?

A side effect of all this is the influx of full shows on video sharing sites. I've noticed takedowns a far less than in previous years and even then there are far more uploads than usual. Either the corps are overwhelmed with all the uploads or they realize themselves that fans have less options now to see their shows and are turning a blind eye (unlikely though)

Wether DCI realized this or not, piracy will increase substantially just as it has with other markets. If you make it harder to access your content people will turn to other options. That's how its always been and how it will continue.

• Like 3

This is why I didn't buy it this year. I can rarely drop everything, take over the living room and watch a few hours of drum corps on their schedule (especially when the shows are a 2-3 hour time difference). I hate it. I usually have become very familiar with most shows by now, after watching tham all several times (live and replays). That is all gone.

I will go to the theater, and I may still buy a single DCI Live show, but otherwise this has been a pretty disappointing season for me. I really hope DCI can get this figured out in the future. This must be a revenue hit for them this year. If nothing changes, I expect the drop off will be even larger next year.

I know many people that do DCA that would purchase the package and watch it on delay. Unless they found a way to record it, they're screwed, and most I know didn't bother. I do like the pricing being less than buying the season and finals seperatelt was last year, but for the lack of features like the DVR feature, I think it's a bit overpriced. the fact that they knew there would be less features and waited until the last possible second to admit it wasn't pleasing either.

but, it's either suck it up and pay, or see nothing. In the end, DCi wins

I have a question kind of related. I wanted to have a watch party for Finals. Whenever you purchase the live streaming package, is it possible to stream it from your device to a smart TV? Please forgive me if this topic has been covered previously.

Do Minnesota and Denver overlap at all tomorrow? I'm sure hoping not. Heck of a choice to have to make. :(

Mike

they do by about 4 corps. 3 if you skip Minnesota Brass, which I won't.

I have a question kind of related. I wanted to have a watch party for Finals. Whenever you purchase the live streaming package, is it possible to stream it from your device to a smart TV? Please forgive me if this topic has been covered previously.

This depends on your specific setup. If you don't have a high-end video card then my advice below does not apply...

If your video card on your PC supports HDMI then you are in business. I also suggest that you make sure the internet connection and PC hookup is WIRED and not wireless...you may not like the buffering that will result from being wireless...you will need a cable that goes from mini-hdmi (on the video card) to the regular HDMI connection on your TV.

Now there is also the consideration of the sound setup. I used the amplifier from my stereo and hooked this into the HD-TV...and used the stereo's speakers...result...absolutely fantastic sound!

Edited by Liahona
  • Like 2

But, it's either suck it up and pay, or see nothing. In the end, DCI wins.

Not so sure. I suspect DCI takes a substantial financial hit this year.

• 2 weeks later...

This year has been a total bust for me. Full price for exactly zer0 drum corps. The one show I stayed home to watch was a terrible connection and feed. ...finally just gave up on it.

I will have to take time off to watch Finals - the inability to watch later when I am away was the piece of info that would have killed the sale for me. ...too anxious for my drum corp fix - no 'fine print' was read.

My guess is that next year when it's 'time to buy DCI' streaming for the season, I won't.

As I understand, it is a licensing issue over the music. The music is licensed to perform, and not to sell a video of the performance. So you can purchase the opportunity to watch a performance but not a video of that performance. Maybe they could buy a license that would allow sales of a performance, but the cost would be so high that very few could afford it.