Cavies/Scouts-Time for a change?

That's a great point being echoed. Their content is certainly not on par with their potential in my opinion. I miss the green machine of the late 90's and early 2000's for sure.

You and me both. There were always three corps I said I would march if I had the chance; Cadets, Cavies, and SCV (in that order).

I think they did. I recall 1 year in the past 10 where they allowed a female guard member.

::2 mins later::

Ok, quick wikipedia search says it was in their Carmen show.:)

THAT'S right. I remember that show now.

Getting better talent by opening it up to women may coast them better talent of some men

Is it because some guys would want the all-male camaraderie? Which, btw, I totally get. My behavior around my guy friends is certainly different from when I'm around my girl friends. It's nice to have people around you that can appreciate the hard work and effort that goes into a good fart, not many of my female friends do (my wife has learned to tolerate it:))

Edited by AROD24601
  • Like 2

The one thing I did find amusing with Madison's show this year is when they were dancing with those female "cutouts". Not saying this in a bad way, but it left me wondering if they had ever considered letting in females for this year's guard. Did they have a female guard member in 2005?

They could have for sure but i wonder if they opened it up for 1 year to that degree is it opening another can of worms. I think as far as show themes, its not all that hard to alter as needed to fit what you have in most cases. You can take most themes and find 1 piece of it and you have a show. Maybe not all but most. Look at most other shows , not all but most , they all could be gender neutral or specific. dont think it would matter.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

Carmen was MUCH more than a prop!

Tell that to the Scouts. I'm not the one that labeled her that to not give her a jacket or a nail.

Interesting question that has come up before. But, from Madison's standpoint, and I am sure Cavaliers would feel the same, too much tradition (78 years) of success to change now. Also, too hard to get a quantifiable benefit. The answer would be NO!

I've often wondered in today's world whether the idea of "all male" would be changed in the near future. Now personally I think that the traditions of both the Cavaliers and Scouts being all men are great. That said, in the world we live in, you could certainly understand the young women out there feeling slighted by the all guy policy. I had numerous female students that had the Cavies or Scouts as their favorites and had wished to have the opportunity to march. I personally hope it stays traditional as long as possible. But, I wouldn't be surprised and necessarily opposed to gender opportunity when and if that ever happens. I'm not sure any lawsuit involving the adding of females to create equality would ever be denied. Perhaps the Scouts having their lineage from Boy Scouts might have a more solid foundation but this is a very interesting topic.

I've often wondered in today's world whether the idea of "all male" would be changed in the near future. Now personally I think that the traditions of both the Cavaliers and Scouts being all men are great. That said, in the world we live in, you could certainly understand the young women out there feeling slighted by the all guy policy. I had numerous female students that had the Cavies or Scouts as their favorites and had wished to have the opportunity to march. I personally hope it stays traditional as long as possible. But, I wouldn't be surprised and necessarily opposed to gender opportunity when and if that ever happens. I'm not sure any lawsuit involving the adding of females to create equality would ever be denied. Perhaps the Scouts having their lineage from Boy Scouts might have a more solid foundation but this is a very interesting topic.

Must not know your history, but you should look up Boy Scout Troop 111.

Let me start by saying, I have the greatest respect for tradition in terms of all-male and all-female corps. I understand their historical foundations and have nothing but the utmost reverence for what they have done for the activity.

With that being said, I am wondering if the Cavies and Scouts might be missing out on a whole talent pool of females that could make great contributions to all sections of the corps'. I would imagine having additional members to recruit from would increase the overall caliber of performers that would be vying for a spot (not to take anything away from the Scouts and Cavies now, they are absolutely phenomenal).

Just wondering what my fellow DCPers may think, thanks!

Girls have cooties!!!! :thumbdown: