Fastest Growing Youth Activity in America?

Certainly shows how up front BD is and how they get themselves right where they always need to be. bravo to them . Winners just know how to win ( not just meaning 1st place) and they have been doing it for decades.

• Like 3

Wow, can I just say something about your comment here?

I'm a music education major. I spend a lot of time with music students both in college and high school. Let me tell you: DCI is NOT losing it's fan base. Anyone who thinks DCI is dying hasn't spent some time around the marching band scene.

Band students LOVE drum corps. Many have a strong desire to march. Over the past decade or so, DCI has become much more integrated with music education programs, and continues to do so now that many world class corps are offering educational camps for band students throughout the summer tour.

So, no, drum corps is not dying. I'm sorry if you don't like the shows nowadays, but I really don't think drum corps is going anywhere any time soon.

Thanks, have a nice day :)

Ditto, when I was in high school I kinda introduced it one day in front of the band after a rehearsal. That year probably 20 showed up to the Prelims cast. Now in the area I live in, schools are bringing their kids in by the busloads to the sold out theater and countless kids are going to events. Countless have auditioned and marched as well from my area. Interest and excitement is exploding in my region, and from friends in other places, it is elsewhere too. Over the past few years, we've seen an explosion of Open Class/Sound Sport corps popping up across the country. If their was a slump for a few years starting around 09, it's over now. Record attendance, ect. is going on. If the increasing attendance numbers and surge of HIGH QUALITY new corps such as Louisiana Stars, Columbians, ect. are any signs, it seems like we're on an upward climb.

Regardless, good exposure for the activity.

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 2

It's good publicity for the Blue Devils, and drum corps and DCI, but there are a few things to keep in mind:

1. Some have questioned the overall accuracy of "The Doctors" which critics claim is not that in depth and tends to be more glitzy than anything else.

2. Obviously they did not look at the history of the activity when there were more corps and more participants. Yes there has been growth in Open Class, but I'm not sure how you would calculate to determine drum corps to be the fastest growing activity.

3. Prior to the focus on concussions, the number of kids playing contact sports has been decreasing, particularly football. Are these kids taking music lessons or playing other sports?

4. To see if this is accurate, we should be looking at the growth of school programs first. If they are growing because of concussion risk, and these kids want to take then join drum corps, perhaps the story is accurate.

However, the clip makes the activity look great, and since it did not cost Blue Devils or DCI anything, we can't complain. Also, as someone from Massachusetts when there were tons of drum corps, I hope it is the fastest growing activity. All I can say is grow faster!

Edited by Tim K
  • Like 1

but I really don't think drum corps is going anywhere any time soon.

...Thus the slowly dying part ;)

I have no problem with the shows. I still love drumcorps very much. I think it's great that marching band kids want to participate. But the numbers have nothing to do with my love for the activity:

My first year in 1992 there were 29 Div III, 18 Division II, and 22 Open Class Corps that went to Madison.

Last year there were 14 Open Class Corps, and 22 World Class Corps that went to Indy

How exactly can you classify drumcorps as the "Fastest Growing Youth Activity in America" when far less youths are participating in it than there were in the 90's?

Watching drumcorps and wanting to be in a drumcorps, is absolutely nothing like marching in a drumcorps...

Edited by jbeatty89
  • Like 1

Well, in 2012 we lost Teal Sound and Glassmen, but we haven't lost any World Class corps since. We are also seeing more Open Class corps emerge and the number of marching members appear to be healthy for OC corps in general. This may not exactly be a rebirth, but it's not a slow death either.

Well, in 2012 we lost Teal Sound and Glassmen, but we haven't lost any World Class corps since. We are also seeing more Open Class corps emerge and the number of marching members appear to be healthy for OC corps in general. This may not exactly be a rebirth, but it's not a slow death either.

You pick the start date like the government saying that the labor market is great by comparison to the recession

However I do think the activity is now growing again. Hoping it is long term.

• Like 2

My first year in 1992 there were 29 Div III, 18 Division II, and 22 Open Class Corps that went to Madison.

Last year there were 14 Open Class Corps, and 22 World Class Corps that went to Indy

While those gross numbers are certainly troubling, to be fully accurate, you'd have to dig deeper into the numbers of players by corps. While Racine may be an example of an Open Class corps struggling to find numbers, there are several Open Class corps today with well above 100 marchers. I don't know how that compares to the numbers of marchers in those Div. II and Div. III corps of 1992. And wasn't it only a decade ago when the upper limit was increased to 150? So today's 22 World Class corps almost definately represent more actual marchers than the 22 Open Class corps in 1992.

Also, I would want to dig further into total numbers of corps/members that did NOT go to the championships. "Drum and Bugle Corps" is not defined as solely those corps that elect to go to the world championships. In fact, it might be considered a sign of health to look at the number of corps/marchers that participate but do NOT attend world championships, since the financial pressures of touring and heading to championships can often lead to the death of a corps. I'd rather add 25 corps around the country giving kids the chance to march, but skipping Indy, than add 5 more corps to Indy.

Edited by Eleran
  • Like 5

WOW leave to some bitter sad member of this community to find this great publicity spot and comment negatively on it. you're opinion is the only thing here I see slowly dying...

• Like 3