little respect and dignity from Academy drumline

That's like saying talking and making noise during a golfers back swing is ok as long as you feel it's ok in your world. Yeah Academy apparently has rules that let them act foolish during another corps performance ok. let me guess people are now encouraged too move about the stadium seating during a performance. Can you also just break ranks of a corps now! Is that ok as long as your specific rules according to you say it's ok

22f3413f964e0d774e694743286a4ddc.jpg

• Like 7

it seems we have a culture clash at work here amongst DCPers.

The strict (military/Victorian) protocols and behavior which dictated so many decades of DCI is now meeting the in-your-face, street gang, inner city (neighbor)hoodstyle of psyching out the opponent. For the kids today, this is no different from the nonsense behavior going on during foul shooting at NCAA contests today compared to when I played in the h.s. league against opponents whom you know as Rick Pitino (St. Dom's) and Billy Donovan (St. Agnes.) The home bench would get a technical if anyone made a sound during any team's foul shooting..........................and then face the principal and athletic director for unsportsmanlike behavior for which one then did a week of jug. Today going to a college game, it's considered disloyalty if the pep band (like Arizona State) doesn't do something frantic.

Mixing idioms is not always good art nor good public relations. An explanation of the difference is sometimes required, especially when the audience is from different cultures.

• Like 2

This is just a difference in corps culture.

Madison has *always* been the "stand still at attention for everything" type of group (Cadets come to mind as similar).

When full retreats were still "a thing" at every show, Madison was one of the corps that spent the whole time standing still and not speaking.

By contrast, for example, the Cavaliers had a reputation for seeing retreat as a chance to goof around, talk, and mess around. I remember at an early show back in 2004 when I was with Capital Regiment. We were standing next to Madison in retreat, with Cavies on the other side of them. The Cavies marchers spent much of the time trying to get Madison to respond to them/talk to them/etc. It was just goofy fun. Eventually some of them gave up and shouted over to us "Does Capital Regiment get to talk???"

It's just fun stuff.

Edited by geluf
  • Like 5

why dont both groups just perform at the same time I mean obviously I'm missing something here one group performs while the other does another performance of antics and games. This is obviously the look at me generation.

LOL. Oh yes. The "look at me" generation. Welcome to our world, bro. We have cookies and fun!

• Like 2

it seems we have a culture clash at work here amongst DCPers.

The strict (military/Victorian) protocols and behavior which dictated so many decades of DCI is now meeting the in-your-face, street gang, inner city (neighbor)hoodstyle of psyching out the opponent. For the kids today, this is no different from the nonsense behavior going on during foul shooting at NCAA contests today compared to when I played in the h.s. league against opponents whom you know as Rick Pitino (St. Dom's) and Billy Donovan (St. Agnes.) The home bench would get a technical if anyone made a sound during any team's foul shooting..........................and then face the principal and athletic director for unsportsmanlike behavior for which one then did a week of jug. Today going to a college game, it's considered disloyalty if the pep band (like Arizona State) doesn't do something frantic.

Mixing idioms is not always good art nor good public relations. An explanation of the difference is sometimes required, especially when the audience is from different cultures.

The correlation is a little off its more like the other

Team is waving arms and jumping up and down on the foul line while your trying to shoot. All I'm saying is When one group has the floor let them do whatever they want to call out the other drumline maybe even play something on your drum something the other group can't do. Than when it's there turn stand there watch and learn something. Than rebuttal.

This is obviously the look at me generation.

somebody started a thread with the sole purpose of making sure the whole internet new that they disapproved of something that somebody else was doing.

in MY DAY, we just shook our head and walked away from things we didn't like, let other people and performers do their own thing.

• Like 4

somebody started a thread with the sole purpose of making sure the whole internet new that they disapproved of something that somebody else was doing.

in MY DAY, we just shook our head and walked away from things we didn't like, let other people and performers do their own thing.

I'm sorry is this not a discussion site? My bad ill go post on MySpace.

I'm sorry is this not a discussion site? My bad ill go post on MySpace.

is drumline battle not an aggressive free-range few-holds-barred contest between drumlines? their bad, I guess.

man, I don't even like Drumline Battle. I watched 3 units at Indie last year, shrugged and went to do something else.

the Lot is a great place to see drumlines really flexing their precision, if that's what you're looking for.

Edited by 31rabbit

This is just a difference in corps culture.

Madison has *always* been the "stand still at attention for everything" type of group (Cadets come to mind as similar).

When full retreats were still "a thing" at every show, Madison was one of the corps that spent the whole time standing still and not speaking.

By contrast, for example, the Cavaliers had a reputation for seeing retreat as a chance to goof around, talk, and mess around. I remember at an early show back in 2004 when I was with Capital Regiment. We were standing next to Madison in retreat, with Cavies on the other side of them. The Cavies marchers spent much of the time trying to get Madison to respond to them/talk to them/etc. It was just goofy fun. Eventually some of them gave up and shouted over to us "Does Capital Regiment get to talk???"

It's just fun stuff.

You could get Madison to respond at retreat. It might not be vocal. And it might take more than a few words, but they would respond.

Or so I heard.