little respect and dignity from Academy drumline

Not being sarcastic: Why? Who says it has to work that way?

your right there isn't an established etiquette for this. I'm Simply saying rap battle dance battle drum battle doesn't matter you allow whoever has the floor to perform with out distracting them or the audience from the performance. im not saying don't have fun. I'm not saying don't mock or pander to your competition. I'm saying if you do use your turn to do it. I'm also not saying

You have to stand at attention but give your competitors respect give them your attention.

I'm sorry is this not a discussion site? My bad ill go post on MySpace.

Then discuss how and why you didn't like it. Your OP is a lecture to the corps members on how to act not a discussion......

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Thinking about this reminded me of a few times when we crossed paths with Madison on tour in '85 and our 2 batteries got together and tired to out do each other. Was a lot of fun. I remember learning and playing bits of each other's exercises and shows and giving each other cr** about how easy the other's book was. I still remember a tiny bit of a Madison accent the grace note exercise they called "Mission Impossible". Looking back - those couple sessions with Madison's drumline are some of my fondest from that tour.

It seems to me that DLB is a semi-formalized form of the same thing that we were doing on our own those few times: not to be taken seriously. Just 2 drumlines having fun trying to show each other up. Granted when we did it it was out of uniform and out of the public eye, but otherwise somewhat similar.

your right there isn't an established etiquette for this.

You have to stand at attention but give your competitors respect give them your attention.

huh. that's an awful fast contradiction.

(in hindsight, this post is pithy and kind of rude. I'm going to leave it here because it's in the Drumline Battle Thread. Normally I try not to be pithy and rude, but in this particular DCP Battle I suppose it's the right flavor.)

Edited by 31rabbit

That was part of the fun of being in the retreat block. While we locked down, BD and Cavs used to pass candy around. It's just our culture. But Troop was way worse than we were.

Spirit used to make fun of BAC mimicking how they would "clang" the buckle on their cross belt by yelling "clang".

This is just a difference in corps culture.

Madison has *always* been the "stand still at attention for everything" type of group (Cadets come to mind as similar).

When full retreats were still "a thing" at every show, Madison was one of the corps that spent the whole time standing still and not speaking.

By contrast, for example, the Cavaliers had a reputation for seeing retreat as a chance to goof around, talk, and mess around. I remember at an early show back in 2004 when I was with Capital Regiment. We were standing next to Madison in retreat, with Cavies on the other side of them. The Cavies marchers spent much of the time trying to get Madison to respond to them/talk to them/etc. It was just goofy fun. Eventually some of them gave up and shouted over to us "Does Capital Regiment get to talk???"

It's just fun stuff.

somebody started a thread with the sole purpose of making sure the whole internet new that they disapproved of something that somebody else was doing.

in MY DAY, we just shook our head and walked away from things we didn't like, let other people and performers do their own thing.

It's the Labrador puppy theory. - Approach something of interest. Sniff it and see it I can I play with it or eat it. If not? Pee on it and walk away. :tounge2:

• Like 3

That was part of the fun of being in the retreat block. While we locked down, BD and Cavs used to pass candy around. It's just our culture. But Troop was way worse than we were

LOL Troopers did an exhibition at our Sr show in 1974. They did the exhibition, marched off the field and came right back for retreat.

Wasn't paying attention until someone said "Check this #### out". There is Casper standing rock steady at attention while the 6 Sr corps were in At Ease positions.

And they held it all retreat....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I think I've been clear that while another group is performing setting down your drums taking selfies, huddling up playin games, walking around not watching the other corps is bad form. Are gone the days where another corps would get a encore by the food trucks and the other corps would watch and than return the favor? has mutual respect been removed from DCI? Yes I get this is a DLB but who are you battling if the other group isnt present in mentality and decorum. Call me old fashion or not fun but I fail to see how a majority of the people discussing don't find this a bit disrespectful.

• Like 2

I think I've been clear that while another group is performing setting down your drums taking selfies, huddling up playin games, walking around not watching the other corps is bad form. Are gone the days where another corps would get a encore by the food trucks and the other corps would watch and than return the favor? has mutual respect been removed from DCI? Yes I get this is a DLB but who are you battling if the other group isnt present in mentality and decorum. Call me old fashion or not fun but I fail to see how a majority of the people discussing don't find this a bit disrespectful.

who are you to decide 'is bad form' ?

this is NOT drumline performance. it's drumline Battle.

the encores and respect and proper audienceship between corps? those still exist in all the same places they always existed.

but DLB is a venue created specifically for 'wildness,' so why are you worked up about it existing thusly? DLB hasn't, as far as I can tell, had an effect on the elements of the activity that pre-dated it.